Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #91
Inactive Account

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There was one reviewer who rated the Yashica lens (i.e. early Zeiss) slightly lower than the new version because of wide open sharpness. I cannot remember where alas. But sample variety was not taken into account and all of it was based on Canon bodies.
These days, it's not that easy to achieve objective results.

07-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #92

Photos: Albums
Few more captures by the K 28/2 to keep this thread going. All images taken with Pentax K2 and Ektar 100 film (except the beer shot, which is New Portra 400 I believe).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo 
07-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #93

Photos: Albums
...and the beer image
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
EZ Controller  Photo   
07-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #94
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for keeping this thread alive; great shots all in all! I must admit that the K28/2 is on my K-5 100% of the time now, I'll try to post some examples in the coming days. The lens deserves it...

07-27-2011, 06:43 AM   #95

whoa, just stumbled upon this tread today

i've just won the bid on the K28/2 and it should arrive this weekend. I don't know whether I will like it or not, as 28mm is not my favorite range/perspective (But you know, great lens doesn't come everyday, so I've to grab it first ).

I already have in my possession FA31, I'll see how it fare against each other and will keep other one of them

Long live good lens !!

Ps. I'm a fan of all Zeiss lens on my ZI/ZM Ikon body
07-27-2011, 10:23 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tthana50 Quote
whoa, just stumbled upon this tread today

i've just won the bid on the K28/2 and it should arrive this weekend. I don't know whether I will like it or not, as 28mm is not my favorite range/perspective (But you know, great lens doesn't come everyday, so I've to grab it first ).

I already have in my possession FA31, I'll see how it fare against each other and will keep other one of them

Long live good lens !!

Ps. I'm a fan of all Zeiss lens on my ZI/ZM Ikon body
how much you got it for? btw, it would be nice if you could provide comparative samples of both lenses.
02-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This thread needs to be alive again!

No interesting pictures, but I wanted to make sure my "new" (to me) NX100 is working correctly. And it does; I already like its good (i.e. perfectly exposed on the histogram) RAW files.

And as you can see the Distagon Hollywood (what the SMC PENTAX 1:2/28 essentially is) is not really suitable for branchy subjects

03-14-2016, 04:11 AM   #98
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This thread needs to be resurrected!

03-15-2016, 08:12 AM   #99
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
This thread needs to be resurrected!
Still using that Samsung?
03-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #100
Pentaxian

Most older lenses leave me yawning. I hope Pentex releases and ring motor version of this one. I'm pretty sure it's the first I'd put on that list. I'd love to join the thread,, but before reading this thread, I'd only seen passing reference to the lens.

It does great things.

And it would fill in the gap between my 21 ltd and 40XS very nicely. IMHO the 31 is just a bit long for that.

In all my kijiji and eBay travels, I don't remember ever seeing one listed, but then i wasn't really looking.
03-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #101
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
In all my kijiji and eBay travels, I don't remember ever seeing one listed, but then i wasn't really looking.
The M is much more common, and about half the price. But then it isn't a "Hollywood".

At one time they were considered a "secret"...

$60 Pentax that’s actually a $800 Zeiss by designer of Stanley Kubrick’s NASA glass
03-15-2016, 10:30 AM   #102

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Most older lenses leave me yawning. I hope Pentex releases and ring motor version of this one. I'm pretty sure it's the first I'd put on that list. I'd love to join the thread,, but before reading this thread, I'd only seen passing reference to the lens.

It does great things.

And it would fill in the gap between my 21 ltd and 40XS very nicely. IMHO the 31 is just a bit long for that.

I agree, best old lens I've ever seen.
03-15-2016, 10:31 AM   #103
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The M is much more common, and about half the price. But then it isn't a "Hollywood".

At one time they were considered a "secret"...

$60 Pentax that’s actually a $800 Zeiss by designer of Stanley Kubrick’s NASA glass
The K shows up once or twice a year on eBay, usually listed by a Japanese or Korean camera store. That crazy Kevin guy often has two or three scratched or BGN quality at 50% premium to EX+ price.

There's nearly always an M28/2 at KEH or on eBay, from a domestic seller.

The K28/2 is a beautiful lens rendering delightful subject isolation and light. I don't know if it is worth a 400% premium to the K28/3.5 or 2x the M, except that it is rare. The rarity itself actually works against finding one since so many people just put them away because they are rare.

I hate file compression. And I can't link from flickr.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by monochrome; 03-15-2016 at 04:56 PM.
03-17-2016, 03:10 PM   #104
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I've always been curious about the title of that article. $60 ??? In a 1978 Pentax price list, the list price was $471.00, so even the street price must have been well over $300.

EDIT: One recently ~sold~ for almost $1,300 USD on eBay - Original K Series SMC Pentax 28mm f/2 Lens, Early 1:2/28 Variant, Zeiss Design -- that's the most I've seen one of these go for. And, while I don't know the number of K-era and M-era copies of the K 28/2 sold, I didn't think that the K-era variant (which mine also is) is particularly rare.

Last edited by fwcetus; 03-17-2016 at 03:20 PM.
03-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
I've always been curious about the title of that article. $60 ??? In a 1978 Pentax price list, the list price was $471.00, so even the street price must have been well over $300.

EDIT: One recently ~sold~ for almost $1,300 USD on eBay - Original K Series SMC Pentax 28mm f/2 Lens, Early 1:2/28 Variant, Zeiss Design -- that's the most I've seen one of these go for. And, while I don't know the number of K-era and M-era copies of the K 28/2 sold, I didn't think that the K-era variant (which mine also is) is particularly rare.
Then later he says they go for btween $60 and $200. I doubt he ever saw them for under $200 unless it was in very poor condition. More likely a 28/2.8. Vivitar 28/2s could be found for 60...

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-17-2016 at 05:34 PM. Reason: I'm not drunk...