Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom: Select Photos by Lens

The lens must be identified by the camera and the info added to the image file somewhere, but not all my lenses are included in the list generated by Lightroom's "Select Photos by Lens". I would obviously not expect to see any manual lenses, but the Pentax DA series should all work the same I'd assume. Some are there and others are not.
For ease in searching, I'd like to be able to add the info manually where it is missing or "unknown". Can't seem to be able to. Is there some trick to this? I can usually figure out what lens I used for a photo from memory if I do it soon enough, but if not and the EXIF shows a common focal length for example, it could be hard to know for sure with an older image. While I don't have that many lenses, it would still be nice to use this search sometimes.
--
dbh

04-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
The lens must be identified by the camera and the info added to the image file somewhere, but not all my lenses are included in the list generated by Lightroom's "Select Photos by Lens". I would obviously not expect to see any manual lenses, but the Pentax DA series should all work the same I'd assume. Some are there and others are not.
I complained about this on the beta list last year while Lightroom was still in its public beta phase. Lightroom's internal database of lenses doesn't identify all of my lenses - no surprise there - but if it can't match the lens ID (I assume there's a lens ID transmitted somewhere as EXIF info) then Lightroom simply doesn't report anything. Lightcrafts' Lightzone, on the other hand, can identify more lenses, and will tell you SOMETHING useful (like "-1302") even if it can't identify the model. I asked Adobe to have Lightroom identify the lens as well as it can: I can figure out what -1302 means, as I only have two lenses that Lightroom can't identify. Unfortunately, this improvement didn't make it into the final release version. Adobe seems to be able to identify my Pentax lenses, but not my Sigma or Tamron lenses.

So I use keywords. It's true, you can't always tell. But I can guess pretty well. I try to import photos as soon as possible after a shoot. I have three Tamron lenses that Lightroom can't identify. The focal lengths overlap, but I can usually guess pretty well from other things, like venue of the shoot and the aperture.

Will
04-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #3
dbh
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your insight Will. Interestingly Lightroom recognizes my Tamron 90, Pentax DA18-55 and FA31, but not the DA21 or DA70. My Bigma is labeled SIGMA.

What you suggested would be fine for me too, ie. some ID# I could just learn to relate to a specific lens.
--
dbh