Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
help me spend all the money I don't got

Hey gang-

I've been looking at the Sigma DC 17-70 macro as a reasonable solution to my hiking needs. I don't really like carting 20lb of lenses around, but the DA18-55 vignettes, and is rather disappointing as a "macro", particuarly as I'm spoiled by my Tokina 90mm. The problem with the Sigma is the price - I'm cheap and a student.

Most of my lenses are manual, so I'd be perfectly happy with a manual lens, but I've been overwhelmed by the variety available. No clue which, if any, would be superior to the kit lens. I'd also consider a zoom that starts closer to normal, around 28, say, as many do. If I want wide, I can carry the zeni, it's small.

So - help me here. Blow my budget on the Sigma? Or is there some other reasonable alternative? I'm just now slogging my way through some exhausting experiments, so I'll be wanting to reward myself in a couple of weeks...

Julie

04-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Foxglove,
I don't have the 17-70, but have heard very good things about it on this & other forums. The f2.8 would have to be an advantage. So I would say, yes, DO IT!

Its only money.

Cheers
Grant
04-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The only thing I would question about the Sigma 17-70 is the relatively slow f/4.5 aperture at 70mm. But at the price, the alternative seems to be the Tamron 28-75/2.8 which isn't nearly as wide as the Sigma. (And the missing 17-28mm isn't really going to be made up by the Zenitar - it is a big gap.)

You'll find very nice pictures from both. And they do a pretty good job at close-ups.
04-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Vivitar Series One 28-90mm f2.8-3.5 (by Komine)
'' '' '' 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 (by Kiron)

Both expectional lenses. Very sharp. ($100 on ebay. Usually a bit less. I paid $93CAN after shipping for mine.)

Use the extra money for a decent swivel flash.

04-19-2007, 03:26 PM   #5
dbh
Inactive Account

>I've been looking at the Sigma DC 17-70 macro as a reasonable solution to my hiking needs.

If I was to hike off into the hills right now - I'd attach the DA21 and bring along a spare battery and SD card. That's it. Makes a small and light, quick and easy to deploy package.

--
dbh
04-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have had the 17-70 for about 3 months and find it a great lens. Whilst I agree it is a bit slow I find the results to be excellent. a great walkabout lens. Have attached one of my efforts to show the quality:
Attached Images

04-19-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Vivitar Series One 28-90mm f2.8-3.5 (by Komine)
'' '' '' 28-85mm f2.8-3.8 (by Kiron)

Both expectional lenses. Very sharp. ($100 on ebay. Usually a bit less. I paid $93CAN after shipping for mine.)

Use the extra money for a decent swivel flash.
Agreed about quality, but these old guys are HEAVY. I'm not afraid to lug around some big glass, but my VS1 28-90 was just TOO big.

(I also don't like push-pull zooms. They tend to move when you don't want them to and generally don't maintain focus when zooming.)

04-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the input, everyone. Bramela, those dainty mushrooms have almost sold me on that lens! I'll have a look at the other lenses suggested, and think about it while I mind my experiments. By the time I'm done and deserve my reward, I may actually have made up my mind!

Julie
04-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
(I also don't like push-pull zooms. They tend to move when you don't want them to and generally don't maintain focus when zooming.)
Push pull designs are also prone to get dust as well. And kind of clumsy to push and pull to focus.
04-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Vivitar w/ Availiable Light

Vivitar w/ Sunpak AutoZoom 333 Flash + DIY Lightsphere

I find them quite acceptable. Although, carpents is right. Their weight maybe their biggest down fall but realistically speaking they are the best best for your buck.

Dust is something I haven't been aware of. With extending zooms, you suck in air as well. Zoom creep is not a problem with the Vivitar. I like the One touch because you have real time control of both focus and zoom. Further more, if you use the underhand method of holding the lens, you can support its weight as well.

Given that Julie's a student, money is tight. She may not have $400 to spare. For under a $100 you can have a sharp lens and money left over for a manual flash.

Last edited by FotoPete; 04-19-2007 at 07:18 PM. Reason: fixed missing images
04-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote

Vivitar w/ Availiable Light

Vivitar w/ Sunpak AutoZoom 333 Flash + DIY Lightsphere

I find them quite acceptable. Although, carpents is right. Their weight maybe their biggest down fall but realistically speaking they are the best best for your buck.

Dust is something I haven't been aware of. With extending zooms, you suck in air as well. Zoom creep is not a problem with the Vivitar. I like the One touch because you have real time control of both focus and zoom. Further more, if you use the underhand method of holding the lens, you can support its weight as well.

Given that Julie's a student, money is tight. She may not have $400 to spare. For under a $100 you can have a sharp lens and money left over for a manual flash.
You're right - my primary reason for selling was how heavy it was (and I got a now-sold Tamron 28-75/2.8). I only have a couple shots posted with it, but here is one for Julie. (Note - This is PP work from two years ago - I would do much better now!)

04-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Haha I think it was your images that sold me on the Vivitar! Btw, you plan on updating your Equipment album on pbase anytime soon?

:P
04-19-2007, 10:28 PM   #13

Out of the four zooms in the 16 to 70mm range I have owned, the 17-70 was by far my favorite. The quality is outstanding. In the 17-50mm range, you have a fast lens with excellent resolution and color reproduction. At the 70mm, its a little slow at times. I think that is an acceptable compromise, considering the range and image quality. Its the only zoom I really miss having, but I still prefer my primes

The Sigma 17-70 and 70-300 make an exceptional set of lenses for someone looking for quality on slim budget.
04-19-2007, 10:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have the 17-70 for my canon set up and it is an amazing lens for the price. Every time i use it, im just blown away by the quality. Here is a few that i have taken with it and my 400d.

click to get to a larger pic.