Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
I'm more upset about the way my issue was handled especially the comment that I should only buy/ use digital lenses than I am about the probabillity of having a bad lens.
I hear you.

I've had excellent results with the following. Look up company executives' names and addresses using SEC filings (e.g. finance.yahoo.com). Compose a concise, respectful, and well-written letter to one of them outlining your problem and what you want them to do about it. (The last part is important; you need to have some concrete resolution in mind. If all you want is an apology and/or to vent, don't bother.)

It gets you in touch with people who really are concerned about your happiness and have the power to do something about it. You will not hear from the executive, but you'll hear from one of his/her assistants.

This has resulted in credit card fee refunds and a variety of other refunds for me, each accompanied by a sincere apology.

Reid

05-13-2009, 07:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I didn't really think it was, but since in other places on the net I have a reputation for being a sarcastic prick I thought it best to be on the safe side and clarify preemptively. I've ticked off a lot of people without even trying to.
You are ok here by me, sir!
05-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok folks , I have not found the time to do a propper focus test but allow me to offer this since there is some question as to my sincerity.I deleted all the competition shots last month but did save 3 pics of the kid with his trophies shot after the event with a smaller fstop , posed on a sunny day (pretty idiot proof shot). You tell me what is in focus , the kid and his trophies or everything behind him? Again I'm not anti pentax or a troll just upset at the handling of the matter.
Gotta brag a little those are first place trophies for sparring and kata and a second for weapons. At's my boy!

Last edited by seacapt; 07-26-2009 at 07:10 PM.
05-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #19

Try a Different Technique

I have found that the focus point with some of my cheap zooms is not exactly where the "Red Box" in the viewfinder indicates. This does not seem to be as much of a problem with my faster primes.
With this type of shooting scenario, I get the best results using one of the bottom focus points on the feet of my subject. That way if the focus point is a bit off, the camera still focuses on the ground or mat and not on the crowd 10 feet back. This will also work with the shot that you posted of your son. The camera is probably focusing on the background at infinity, not the subject. If you switch the focus point to his feet, even if the focus indicator is off a bit, the shot is still good. Give it a try, and it is not only Pentax that has this issue. I got this tip on a Canon forum if I remember correctly.

05-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one thing I have found, and this is with my tamron 28-75 F2.8 is that sometimes, when it focuses (especially on high contrast subjects) it snaps in on focus immediately and then as the continuous focus begins to work it locks out of focus.

This seems to be most common on my *istD. have you tried single vs continous focus?
05-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ok folks , I have not found the time to do a propper focus test but allow me to offer this since there is some question as to my sincerity.I deleted all the competition shots last month but did save 3 pics of the kid with his trophies shot after the event with a smaller fstop , posed on a sunny day (pretty idiot proof shot). You tell me what is in focus , the kid and his trophies or everything behind him? ...
To be honest, the whole picture looks a little blurry. JPEG artifact, I think.

The thing that is puzzling about all of this is that front/back focus issues are usually a matter of inches/centimeters, not yards/meters. For the above photo, I would expect pretty much everything should be in acceptable focus based solely on depth of field. (No exif...so it is hard to say what is going on here.)

Steve

BTW...Congrats on your boy's good showing at the match!

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-14-2009 at 01:07 PM.
05-14-2009, 01:23 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Ok folks , I have not found the time to do a propper focus test but allow me to offer this since there is some question as to my sincerity.
Hmm, I don't think anyone is questioning your sincerity. I hope I didn't come off that way.

Anyhow, it's hard to tell from the posted shot, but I certainly believe you that in larger size versions you can see the background being more in focus than your (and congrats to him!). I'd just observe that this is pretty much a textbook example of a situation where the camera might legitimately choose to focus on the background even if you explicitly specified the focus point, since the focus point is probably broader than your son and some of the background was most likely within range of the sensor. And if the camera chose to focus on the background, your son would indeed be a little OOF. That happens sometimes with any AF system.

Again, there may or may not *also* be a BF problem that could be shifting focus backwards by an inch or so, but that would not be explaining what you are seeing here in indeed the tree is more in focus than your son. A discrepancy that big would not be BF - it would just be a case of the camera choosing a different subject to focus on than what you intended.

As for the handling, I am not defending anything Pentax said or did - I'm just discussing the actual technical issues involved.
05-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Hmm, I don't think anyone is questioning your sincerity. I hope I didn't come off that way.
Its all good and I truely do appreciate your suggestion. The freaky thing is that all my shots with this lens came out this way but the problem was less dramatic in the outdoor shots due to the huge DOF. NONE of my other lenses do this so it's probably not a camera issue. Would listing it on Ebay as "factory perfect " make me a dirt bag?

05-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

If you've never had the camera chooe to focus on the background instead of your intended subject before, you are a far luckier person than I!