Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,960
Will this lens get stuck in the K10D ?

The lens is the Hanimex 135mm f2.8 , it has this aperture lever (?), but it is very solid, and doesn't move at all. Will this or anything else you guys see that indicates that it may not be safe to mount this to my K10D.

Thanks





P.S: well I tried to mount to an old TC and I am unable to mount it. The lever is stuck and when i adjust the aperture ring the size of the aperture remains wide open...what is wrong with this lens ?


Last edited by pcarfan; 05-13-2009 at 03:49 PM.
05-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,483
My understanding:
  • Aperture lever does not move
  • Currently mounted to TC, but won't come off
  • Photo is of a standard K-mount
My take on the symptoms is that the aperture stopdown mechanism is broken inside the lens resulting in the jammed lever. When you mounted it to your TC, the lever slipped past the coupler in the TC and is stuck on the far side of nowhere.

The good news is that you did not attempt to mount this on a camera, any camera. The bad news is that is mounted on your TC. Unless someone has a better solution, you may have to disassemble the either the lens or the TC in order to salvage the TC.

In the mean time...DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOUNT THE ASSEMBLY TO ANY CAMERA!

Steve

(Was in a similar position about a year ago with a defective Zenitar 16/2.8. The end result was a permanently damaged Ricoh XR7 film body...RIP)
05-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My understanding:
  • Aperture lever does not move
  • Currently mounted to TC, but won't come off
  • Photo is of a standard K-mount
My take on the symptoms is that the aperture stopdown mechanism is broken inside the lens resulting in the jammed lever. When you mounted it to your TC, the lever slipped past the coupler in the TC and is stuck on the far side of nowhere.

The good news is that you did not attempt to mount this on a camera, any camera. The bad news is that is mounted on your TC. Unless someone has a better solution, you may have to disassemble the either the lens or the TC in order to salvage the TC.

In the mean time...DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MOUNT THE ASSEMBLY TO ANY CAMERA!

Steve

(Was in a similar position about a year ago with a defective Zenitar 16/2.8. The end result was a permanently damaged Ricoh XR7 film body...RIP)
Steve,

It is not stuck in the TC. I tried to mount the lens to the TC and I can't do it. The lens just doesn't twist. I did not want to try it in the camera, so was attempting to mount it to the TC, and just couldn't do it.

So, the problem is not a lens stuck to the TC rather,

The problem is the lever stuck solid that I can't mount it on a TC. Why is the lever stuck solid and why is the aperture blades are staying wide open even when I move the aperture ring ?

Sorry for not being clear.....
05-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,483
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Steve,

It is not stuck in the TC. I tried to mount the lens to the TC and I can't do it. The lens just doesn't twist. I did not want to try it in the camera, so was attempting to mount it to the TC, and just couldn't do it.

So, the problem is not a lens stuck to the TC rather,

The problem is the lever stuck solid that I can't mount it on a TC. Why is the lever stuck solid and why is the aperture blades are staying wide open even when I move the aperture ring ?

Sorry for not being clear.....
My bad for not reading thoroughly enough. Based on the above, it sounds like you have a lens with a broken or jammed aperture mechanism. It may be repairable and/or it may be possible to convert it to full manual aperture. Either solution would require disassembly of at least the lens' mount.

Steve

05-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 3,198
Something goes wrong with the aperture mechanism. The only sure way to find out what "something" is is to disassemble the lens.

As stated in other posts, don't mount it on a camera. The camera expects the lever to be springy. If the lever is stuck and the lens is forced to mount, something's got to give - not good.
05-14-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,864
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My bad for not reading thoroughly enough. Based on the above, it sounds like you have a lens with a broken or jammed aperture mechanism. It may be repairable and/or it may be possible to convert it to full manual aperture. Either solution would require disassembly of at least the lens' mount.
The most unusual feature of this lens mount is that it has no visible screws. I wonder how it comes apart. I can't remember ever seeing that before. My guess is that the aperture blades are gummed up with oil, enough to stick them together.
05-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,960
Original Poster
Thank you for all the suggestions....

The lens wouldn't mount because it had a bent part on the mount, once that was fixed I was able to mount the lens, The aperture blades are stuck wide open....oh, well!

Last edited by pcarfan; 05-14-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, k-mount, k10d, lens, lever, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K10D Stuck in AV mode mpodesta Pentax DSLR Discussion 10 04-27-2010 10:49 AM
ooops-stuck lens K10D danbob Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 08-29-2009 11:41 PM
New to K10D stuck with MF istDL-K10D Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 10-17-2008 10:13 AM
K10D hot/stuck pixels tdb Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 05-01-2008 04:50 AM
KA/X lense stuck on k10D!!! Demiurge Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 02-05-2008 12:03 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top