Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Dump your Quantaray UV filters!!!

I finally went and done iit! I picked up two more lenses and I needed to get UV filters for them. My other ones had the Quantaray ones because, honestly, its what I could afford at the time. A couple of weeks ago I went to B&H and got Tiffen filters. Boy, I'm glad I did. Now some questions were answered.

I was wondering why pictures with bright sections came out foggy. Also, textured subjects, like corduroy, would come out a bit mottled. I thought it was jpeg compression. Nope, it looks like if I use those brand filters on a lens thats wide open I get a kind of haze in bright spots. I took off the filter and I noticed that the pictures were sharper. Also, using the Tiffen filters the images were just as sharp.

I didnt think it would make such a big difference. That was my mistake.

05-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Moved to correct forum.
05-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Check out this UV filters test - Description of the results and summary - Lenstip.com

I've always been a fan of why add more glass to the lens unless you really need the filter's effect. Or maybe in extreme cases for protection, but not all the time.

But yea, Quantaray