Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Aw . . . . come on, Robin. Splurge.
Normally I am a starving artist. This year I am also a starving student. No vacation, no holidays, no honeymoon even. And no fancy new expensive lenses!

05-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Very useful, thanks
05-21-2009, 01:10 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Thanks so much Sailor, this may make up my mind.

This lens precisely is what is keeping me undecided about buying a new Pentax K-7 when it becomes available. I have no legacy systems or lenses as I have not taken a shot in a decade. But I will be moving to Spain soon and decided it was time to go back. I used to be a Nikon fan, but what I really wanted (other than a Leica M8.2 hehe...) is Nikon d300 build quality (and features) in Nikon d90 body size. Nikon does not have that, or anybody else for that matter... until Pentax came up with the k-7. Everything I want in a camera!!! But what has kept me undecided was prime WA glass...

Considered the Zeiss K mouns, but it's silly to pay $1300 for a camera and cancel out most of its features on the lenses, impressive as they may be. So the obvious choice is this lens... except dpreview.com claims it's very a very soft lens!!! ( Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Lens Review: 4. Conclusion & samples: Digital Photography Review ).

Now, this is not what your images look like at all. However this are small, processed images. In your opionon, Sailor, is this lens in any way "soft" ?

Thank you so much for the post!!!
05-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadman Quote
Considered the Zeiss K mouns, but it's silly to pay $1300 for a camera and cancel out most of its features on the lenses, impressive as they may be. So the obvious choice is this lens... except dpreview.com claims it's very a very soft lens!!! ( Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Lens Review: 4. Conclusion & samples: Digital Photography Review ).

Now, this is not what your images look like at all. However this are small, processed images. In your opionon, Sailor, is this lens in any way "soft" ?

Thank you so much for the post!!!
Did you see the larger images an posted as reply #17 in the middle of this thread? They are far more representative of what I see from the lens prior to uploading to Photobucket and posting on the forum than are the images in the OP.

I'm staying on my boat this week, and I've shot a number of images from around the marina. I can PP and post from here, so if I have time I'll try to get some more examples on the forum tonight.

Regarding dPreview's comments (which if you read more closely don't say the lens is "very soft"), I really have no opinion. Judgement of a lens' rendering is highly subjective and entirely personal. I'm very pleased with contrast, color and sharpness of my copy of the DA 15 - others may feel differently.

Jer

05-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #35
Veteran Member

There is no way I would characterise this lens as "very soft" from the crystal clear examples posted here. Whether it is ultimately sharp or not -- I don't know. As there is no other compact wide angle lens around to compare to, the point is moot.
05-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Thanks for your response Sailor.

I did see your images, and some others you have uploaded to other posts with the same lens. They look very sharp to me. However they are not full size originals, which is why I asked for your opinion.

DPreview states "Unfortunately though it's rather soft wide open, and even when stopped down is never breathtakingly sharp in the fashion we'd hope for from a premium prime. This is a little disappointing, especially considering the price and relatively slow maximum aperture; but then again you rarely have to shoot a lens this wide at F4 anyway (especially with the in-body stabilization in all current and recent Pentax DSLRs)."

Though I mistyped adding an extra "a very" by accident to my post, which may have made it sound more emphatic than I intended, I think that DPreview did intend to mean the lens is pretty soft. In fact the examples they posted, in full size, do look very soft in close inspection. However, as you, and others have posted here and elsewhere, this may have to do with camera focusing accuracy. There do seem to be a bunch of people under the impression that this is a soft lens.

Regardless, I was happily impressed by your results, as I would very much like this to be a good lens which I would like to get. It may be a QC issue with the lens DPreview got, or maybe he had had too much coffee and forgot his tripod... who knows.

I would resolve the issue myself if I had a Pentax body, but I don't. And before making the investment in a system I am not familiar with, I wanted to ask those in the know for their experience.
05-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Well, there are other APS-C primes in the range of focal length and max aperture, though perhaps not many for Pentax mount. However, the perception of sharpness, subjective it may be, is between the image and the viewer, not the lens. The lens is just the instrument that produces the image. I am not interested so much in how it compares to other lenses, but in whether the results it produces are perceived as sharp. I don't think that is a moot point. It may be to you, but it is not to me, which is why I asked the question.
05-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sorry wrong thread moved

Last edited by Transit; 05-26-2009 at 06:18 PM.
07-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #39
Inactive Account

excellent lens and i want one... but what's the differences between 14 mm f2.8?
07-15-2009, 07:51 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fasterpussycat Quote
The 14/2.8 can easily take the filters that the 15/4 lmt., cannot.

We discussed the review at DPr, with the writer, in this thread :
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=31682688&page=2

The 15 lmt. has also been tested by Imaging-Resource :

"Sharpness

True to the marketing materials, the Pentax 15mm ƒ/4 provides very sharp images, although we did find at least one lens we've previously tested that beats it.

In summary, excellent performance for this lens, especially when stopped down to ƒ/8, where I expect this lens may see a lot of time in a landscape setting. "
07-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #41
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dammit Sailor, now I've got to put another lens on my Buy As Soon As Possible list! BTW, great images, house, car but where are the pics of the boat?
07-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fasterpussycat Quote
its much smaller, and from the photos that i saw, less barrel distortion.
07-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #43

Im quite happy with it.
If a lens gets any sharper than this at the same size and with the same distortion properties, i dont need it.
Love the colour that seems to pop out a little extra with this lens.
She just makes stuff look goood.
Happy with the built in hood too, just added one glassless filter to the cokin adaptor and its all good to go.

Ive got a 49mm lens fetish.
07-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Can any of you guys take low light indoors shots with the lens wide open?

These are gorgeous - the colors are very nice. This lens on a K7 would be an awesome walkabout/landscape setup.
07-19-2009, 07:14 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I hope these are more useful for those interested in a DA 15.
Very much so! Been waffling over getting one or not the last few days, think you have pushed me to "yes". Thanks much.