Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Where do you find the bargains?

I've read here several times it seems that someone has snagged a real "bargain" lens.
My dilemma is that as a newbie to dSLRs and to Pentax, I don't know what to look for. Some of you have answered that question for me by telling me the brands of lenses that are suitable for my K100D, but I can't tell the difference between what is Manual or Auto focus, what's old or what's new. The specs confuse me big time - like K, D, A, M, etc!!

I've tried the Bargain Hunter and Craig's list in my town but there is NEVER any lenses there, let alone Pentax.

I'm particularly searching for a 50mm - either 1.4, 1.7 or 1.8. Besides ordering new, do any of you have a suggestion for me??

As well, I am in Ontario. Are there better places to order from than others?

Thanks a bunch!
Any input is appreciated.

04-23-2007, 02:24 AM   #2

Try ebay any Pentax 50mm F/1.7 or F/1.4 (the 1.7 is better).

M - Full manual (focus and apperture)
A - Manual Focus
F and FA - Full auto
04-23-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

K lenses are also manual focus & aperture.
04-23-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Panache Quote
I've read here several times it seems that someone has snagged a real "bargain" lens.
My dilemma is that as a newbie to dSLRs and to Pentax, I don't know what to look for. Some of you have answered that question for me by telling me the brands of lenses that are suitable for my K100D, but I can't tell the difference between what is Manual or Auto focus, what's old or what's new. The specs confuse me big time - like K, D, A, M, etc!!

I've tried the Bargain Hunter and Craig's list in my town but there is NEVER any lenses there, let alone Pentax.

I'm particularly searching for a 50mm - either 1.4, 1.7 or 1.8. Besides ordering new, do any of you have a suggestion for me??

As well, I am in Ontario. Are there better places to order from than others?

Thanks a bunch!
Any input is appreciated.
Hi Debb, I can't really help you much with Canadian sources, however I did buy a used lens from Henry's. The lens wasn't a "bargain" but it was on par with what it was selling for on eek bay and their return policy is pretty good.
Also here is a link to Dimitrov's excellent Pentax hardware site. This is a great place to go to to learn about all those K, FA, DA, FAJ, FA*, M, SMC, etc etc etc lenses. He has all the lenses organized as to type, whether or not they are still in production etc. The only unfortunate thing is that all he catalogues are Pentax lenses, you won't find Sigma, Tamron etc there. Here's the linkBojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Equipment Page

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O

04-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #5

Hi Debb,

A couple of suggestions for you:

I've had better luck locally with kijiji.com than craigslist.com. No guarantees, but worth a try.

Check out your local retail camera stores and see if they have a used equipment counter. If they don't take trade-ins, get friendly with the salespeople at said store, and make it known that you are interested in used Pentax equipment. They may be able to help spread the word to other Pentax users.

If you do find someone selling ANY Pentax equipment, call them. Even if they are not advertising anything you are looking for, phone them. I recently found 2 sellers locally that had more equipment for sale than what they had advertised. They were only advertising a little bit of equipment at a time. I had opportunity to buy items before they went on sale to the masses.
04-24-2007, 05:35 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everyone,
I lucked out and found TWO forum members with what I'm looking for. I'm going with the best deal of course! It's a 50mm 1.7 I'm vying for!
Unfortunately, with as big a city as Sudbury is, there is a very small photographic community. There are only two reputable camera stores and one I would rather not deal with due to the staff. Kiiji and Craigslist are so NEW to our city that there is hardly anything on those sites, let alone cameras and equipment.
Hopefully, I'll find deals right here on the forum again the next time I'm looking for a lens!!!