Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

How to get rid Sigma paint?

Hello,

My Sigma 70-200 HSM Mark II is about 2-3 month and still in warranty, it had never go out for "official" assignment. I just use took some objects around my house.

Within this short time the paint has peel out on the area near the mount. It actually shown torn at the first time I took out from the box.

I was taking consideration to send back, but unfortunately it bought via internet from other country where I live. So the price to get replacement will costly for the shipping.

I'm thinking to get rid all the paint on that area, but some part is really hard to remove it. I would like hear to other users here for the idea to solve this issue.

RTogog

Attached Images

05-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
haha too bad it's restricted to the base of the lens. If it was throughout, you'd be one tough as nails shooter!
05-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried contacting Sigma or their distributor in your country directly? I don't know how good they are with international warranties but it would be interesting to see if they are at all helpful.
05-16-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I didn't contact to Sigma yet, for this issue. I just worry it will cost much for shipping. This lens has just come back from Sigma Singapore via Sigma Malaysia for solve the FF problem (I use it w Pentax K200D w no focus adjustment feature). I did some test shots and I aware the paint on that area start to peal out.

05-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you want to get rid of the paint, I'd say use a very fine grit sand paper, like 1000 grit or higher. That should deal with the paint. That's my best solution.
05-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lenses are typically painted with either lacquer or enamel. I'd first try to patch or re-paint the bare spots rather than remove the remaining color.

Visit a model aircraft/boat supply store or web site. Chose flat or semi-gloss paint and an appropriate thinner. If there's a modeller's club in your area you may get good advise or assistance there too.

A small amount of lacquer thinner may remove the remaining paint without scraping or sanding.

H2
05-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RTogog Quote
Hello,

My Sigma 70-200 HSM Mark II is about 2-3 month and still in warranty, it had never go out for "official" assignment. I just use took some objects around my house.

Within this short time the paint has peel out on the area near the mount. It actually shown torn at the first time I took out from the box.

I was taking consideration to send back, but unfortunately it bought via internet from other country where I live. So the price to get replacement will costly for the shipping.

I'm thinking to get rid all the paint on that area, but some part is really hard to remove it. I would like hear to other users here for the idea to solve this issue.

RTogog
Wait a minute...shouldn't your lens look like this, near the mount:

What happened to your lens?

05-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

RTogog,
I haven't looked at where your from. However Sigma usually has one of the best customer service policies around.

I would imagine that if you send them an e-mail they'll try their best to resolve the problem, at little or no money from your pocket.
05-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Wait a minute...shouldn't your lens look like this, near the mount:

What happened to your lens?
That lens, being a Canon mount has to be different than RTogog's.
For one thing, Canon has their AF switch on the lens, not the body.

I really don't know what the Pentax mount looks like, however I can't see RTogog posting a photo of something else.
05-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey Stu,

Nice to see you're back on-line.
05-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Hey Stu,

Nice to see you're back on-line.
Thanks Yves
05-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I really don't know what the Pentax mount looks like, however I can't see RTogog posting a photo of something else.
Huh? RTogog's lens looks borked. It's missing the tripod mount and the piece near the rear mount.

Sigma - Lenses
05-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
Huh? RTogog's lens looks borked. It's missing the tripod mount and the piece near the rear mount.

Sigma - Lenses
The tripod mount comes off
05-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
The tripod mount comes off
Yes, with a screwdriver everything comes off--the whole lens comes apart.
05-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is the picture w/ attached tripod collar mount. It actually look good, if the black-matte colour can be rid off and maintan its base color (light brown). This colour will beautifully match my Tele converter Pentax Fx1.7 in term of appearance & performance. Huh... Sigma doesn't have HSM Teleconverter for Pentax mount.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/__B4HQ7WtKM0/ShCWAjLkGvI/AAAAAAAABgs/_8rTzy9_u8k/s576/S...ax%20K200D.jpg

Last edited by RTogog; 05-17-2009 at 03:57 PM.