Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 03:36 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Skyntara Quote
Here's the monstrosity - what have I done.

http://review.1337it.com/wp-content/uploads/bookshelf.jpg
That isn't getting close to BBA (Book Buying Addiction) It's a handsome bookcase, though.

05-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #17

Original Poster
If she has 5 copies of the same Jane Austen, does that count.

That's got to be the same as 5 x 50mm which was the original qualifier for LBA.

Also those shelves are chockers now. and the garage is full of books and magazines. The shelves were actually one row higher. I had to dis-assemble them and lug them to several stories (in a small elevator) load them into a van, then carry them up three flights of stairs.

Also, they were too tall, so I had to hack off the top shelf on the top quarters.

And she just wants more.

Her dream house has a massive library with a ladder on wheels.
05-18-2009, 06:05 AM   #18

I will say a bit opposite side. For 300mm lens, autofocus is important a lot of times. If you are up to use the lens a lot for wild life (in case they like to move around), street capture, or sport events, you'd better go with modern AF version. However, the price might be steep for those equipped with AF.

On the other hand, if you manual focus speed is close to auto focus, then it will be the one you are looking for.

Or if you are collector type of user, then you should not miss it.
05-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"...I just know that another body will get me killed.
She can only kill ya once, but you can buy lenses forever.

H2

(High risk technique, but you can also start introducing her as your "first" wife when lens buying issues arise.)

Last edited by pacerr; 05-18-2009 at 09:14 AM.
05-18-2009, 09:15 AM   #20
Inactive Account

To complicate things even further I've found and ad for Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG Macro + UV Filter for $450(AU) ono and Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II APO EX DG HSM Macro +UV filter for $700(AU) ono.
Sigmas are a dime a dozen. You can buy those anytime. You won't see very many A* lenses, though. Assuming you can live without the AF, let's hope your Sigma bid is rejected so you can get the 300mm A*.

As for the books, that's nothing. My wife and I have way more books that that. You still have empty shelf space! I probably have a few hundred stacked up waiting for for storage space to appear. And I have two shipments from Amazon coming!

I also sell the old gear to pay for the new gear. Just sold my Nikon 17-55 f2.8 DX (nice lens but close to two pounds to carry -- too heavy for travel). This sale plus the sale of some accessories here will cover most of the cost of a Voightlander Ultron SL II 40mm f/2 and a pair of Fujinon binoculars that I ordered this morning.
05-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #21

Original Poster
Well the guy took my offer for the Sigmas. They were very keenly priced so I'm happy about that.

The A* 300mm is on Ebay for about a week so maybe I can scrounge up some more cash for that too.

I'm never getting that 77mm Limited.....
05-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #22

I haven't regretted my A* 300 at all. But I'm a manual lens kind of guy. And the Katz Eye makes a world of difference.

Paul

05-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #23

Original Poster
Yeah, I roll with a Split Screen and I love my manual lenses too.

Maybe I'll still bid on it - that's what credit cards are for right?
05-19-2009, 10:22 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
If you at all consider yourself a collector, get it. You will probably be able to sell for a profit in a few years. They aren't making any more of those.