Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #31
dbh
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
DBH,

Which LD have you found Pentax stuff at? I'm always on the lookout for stuff I didn't know I needed!
McBain downtown had a FA 28 2.8 last week for cheap. Unfortunately the filter ring was broken in a couple of places. Kept my money in my pocket.
Have you ever had any luck bargaining at Classic Camera Exchange? His prices are out of line, often to the point of being more expensive than new.
The one at South Common, 9704 - 19 Avenue, but don't expect much. They had one lens and a teleconverter last time I checked.

My experience was same as yours at Classic Camera Exch. His hours are inconvenient and he doesn't like to tell you anything by phone, either.

--
dbh

04-23-2007, 03:31 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Question for anyone in Edmonton & area

I have an open question to those of you who live in the Edmonton & area.

I have been thinking of selling some of my redundant lenses & equipment. I just have to go through my stuff and figure out what I don't need anymore & decide on a price. Cash & carry so neither of us takes a risk.

Please send PM if interested.

Oh, I'm wanting a FA*200 f2.8. Anyone got one?
04-23-2007, 03:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

tranq78, why not just post the items on the sales board here or even add them to your sig (although some people might frown at that one)

It would sure be nice to keep some items in Canada.

I might be interested in somethings, although I really can't say yet. If you have a dedicated macro lens that you want to sell keep me in mind.
04-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
I have an open question to those of you who live in the Edmonton & area.

I have been thinking of selling some of my redundant lenses & equipment. I just have to go through my stuff and figure out what I don't need anymore & decide on a price. Cash & carry so neither of us takes a risk.

Please send PM if interested.

Oh, I'm wanting a FA*200 f2.8. Anyone got one?

pm sent I am interested pending what ya got - let me (us) know - sounds like there is interest at least a couple of us .

I too would also love the FA* 200 F2.8 - I had the Bigma in my hands the other day - Monster Lens 1.3k Cdn price tag ... not for me yet anyway ....

04-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Henry's Camera Canada Photo - Video - Digital Camera's
Outstanding service and warranty work.
Their prices are competative, but even if they were 10% more, the outstanding service and warranty work more then justify the price for me.
Second to none, and it helps to have salespersons who are also photographers.

cheers

randy
04-24-2007, 06:38 AM   #36
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Daacon,

The other thing I have noticed is that Pentax branded lenses hae much less markup in Canada than Tamron or Sigma. Most of the Pentax lenses have about the same price (in Can dollars) as the retail price in the US (in US dollars). We just don't get the rebates. For example, the DA 40mm Limited is $275 from B&H, $299 from McBain, and @289 from The Camera Store. Really, it is another good reason to buy Pentax lenses, if they suit your need.

Chris

I have come to the same sad conclusion over the last few days of exhaustive searching , and phoning - The Sigma's top end lenses are almost twice the price here that you can get from EBay even with shipping , exchange Rate, delivery charges and taxes (if caught at the boarder). As for Tamron – I can find very few places that even have them.

So Pentax it is for now for new lenses I guess, but I am heading to the US in the fall - will check out stuff there.

The Camera Store has the PENTAX DA * 16-50mm F2.8 ED/AL (IF) listed at $920 – versus the SIGMA 18-50MM F2.8 ASP EX DC IF listed at $719.00 (and other Canadian stores have it for $650.00 still) The same Sigma on Ebay goes for $299.00 US. $920 Cdn is close enough for me to the suggested $800 USD price to buy it locally (if I wanted that lens .... I do ... but Iwant so many others as well)

It is criminal really – guess that is the difference between 35 million consumers versus 350 million

Edit : I also meant to mention the differnce from store to store (Online prices) can range 10-20% Henrys has that same Sigma for $599.00 - it is just like Airline tickets (take a poll next time you on a plane and you would be amazed and the difference in price tickets for most passengers!)

Last edited by daacon; 04-24-2007 at 06:44 AM.
04-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #37
Forum Member

I find Canadian prices extremely high. I usually buy from American sellers. Even with duty, taxes, brokerage, etc., I usually pay way less if I buy from an American seller. For example, The Camera Store in Calgary lists a Voigtlander Bessa-R body for 589.95 (CDN I guess). Steven Gandy of CameraQuest in California lists the same camera for $249 USD, $399 USD with a 35/2,5 lens or $449 with a 21/4 lens. Other Canadian sellers aren't any better. The local pro camera shop is the same. I'm from a small town so there's only one. Everything is almost 2x the price as in the United States except for the stuff that is also available at the big chains and electronic stores. I do not see any reason for such high prices.

I've also had good luck with various Hong Kong sellers (for film and accessories mostly) and Ukrainian sellers (for FSU gear). Some of those sellers can get the goods to me quicker than the Americans. They must know the right people at Canada Customs.
04-25-2007, 03:55 AM   #38
Inactive Account

I spend a lot of time almost daily searching the web for prices for lenses; a blatant admission of my LBA. I have found that you really have to do an 'apples to apples' comparison when it comes to lens prices. Pentax brand lenses are very similiar in price between the US and Canada once you do the conversion for the dollar difference then shipping costs and even brokerage fees if shipped by UPS. Sigma brand prices, on the other hand, vary wildly between Canada and the rest of the world.

For example; the Pentax Limited 70mm lens - Henry's charges $599. The Camera Store charges $579 for this lens. B&H in New York charges $539 US which equals $605 Canadian. Forget the $50 rebate unless you have a US address. Adorama charges $524 US which equals $587 Canadian. Add shipping costs to all of these to get the lens to your Canadian address and of course, the further away - the greater the cost. There are other US retailers and their prices are similar.

Checking Ebay I see a few sellers of this lens, too. One seller is in Japan and wants $475 US + $38 US to ship. That comes out to $575 Canadian. Not a bad price, but why buy it from Japan when the Canadian price is almost equal? There are others on Ebay. Henry's scams their own store price by putting this lens up for auction for a 'buy it now' auction price of about $550 Canadian including shipping. This is about the best price I have found for this lens today. Who knows what tomorrow may bring? It's a jungle out there - we have to be vigilant!

04-25-2007, 04:53 AM   #39
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I spend a lot of time almost daily searching the web for prices for lenses; a blatant admission of my LBA. I have found that you really have to do an 'apples to apples' comparison when it comes to lens prices. Pentax brand lenses are very similiar in price between the US and Canada once you do the conversion for the dollar difference then shipping costs and even brokerage fees if shipped by UPS. Sigma brand prices, on the other hand, vary wildly between Canada and the rest of the world.

For example; the Pentax Limited 70mm lens - Henry's charges $599. The Camera Store charges $579 for this lens. B&H in New York charges $539 US which equals $605 Canadian. Forget the $50 rebate unless you have a US address. Adorama charges $524 US which equals $587 Canadian. Add shipping costs to all of these to get the lens to your Canadian address and of course, the further away - the greater the cost. There are other US retailers and their prices are similar.

Checking Ebay I see a few sellers of this lens, too. One seller is in Japan and wants $475 US + $38 US to ship. That comes out to $575 Canadian. Not a bad price, but why buy it from Japan when the Canadian price is almost equal? There are others on Ebay. Henry's scams their own store price by putting this lens up for auction for a 'buy it now' auction price of about $550 Canadian including shipping. This is about the best price I have found for this lens today. Who knows what tomorrow may bring? It's a jungle out there - we have to be vigilant!
Henry's Camera Canada Photo - Video - Digital Camera's also has the DA40 LTD pancake for $299 Canadian.... hard to beat that price after conversion as well

randy

Yes, I agree... sigma is more expensive here.... but I don't want to spend the money re-shipping it for waranty work if something goes wrong.... there goes the savings.
I own a sigma, but from what I read the quality control isn't up to pentax standards, increasing the chance that waranty work might have to be done at some point.

randy