Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canadians - Where do you buy your lenses ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I live in Alberta , just outside Edmonton and it seems my choices are limited - London Drugs , I have been on Mcbain Camera web site - their prices seem high. I have not walked into one yet. Japan Camera may be another site

I know there a few Albertans on the Forum - where do you buy ? I was thinking Ebay - but wondering about duties and all - I have purchased a few things on Ebay - nothing major. Any decent Canadian online stores people have a preference for ?

Is Ebay the best choice ? Any Brick and Mortar stores anyone can recommed ?

04-20-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Canadians- where do you buy your lenses?

Here are a few very good and honest dealers, sometimes with some very good prices, cameracanada.com
downtowncmera.com
thecamerastore.com
henry's
04-20-2007, 09:44 PM   #3
dbh
Inactive Account

McBain camera. The downtown store has all the Pentax stock. There are dribs of used equipment scattered around their satellite locations - best to phone around if that's what you are interested in.

They have a price matching policy on new stuff and readily apply it. Even though the downtown store has the stock, I just call them and say send it to Southgate which is on my way home from work. This has been working for me.
--
dbh
04-20-2007, 11:24 PM   #4

I'd have to agree with dbh for a bricks and mortar store they happen to be the best in Edmonton the sales people are for the most part very knowledgeable and helpful. There is also Don's photo for new equipment and the Classic Camera Exchange for new and used (mostly used). With ebay the trick is to find used equipment in mint condition from an individual rather than new from a company. I've bought many things in this manner, didn't pay tax and duty if any still saved a bundle. the trick is though you really need to be patient and stick to your first maximum bid

04-21-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Any decent Canadian online stores people have a preference for ?
I have had good results with mailorder sales from The Camera Store which is centered in Calgary. Not only were their prices better than any local 'brick and mortar' camera store but they were very helpful and pleasant. I have been to Henry's in Toronto and on almost every occasion found the staff snotty and rude. I don't like to be made to feel like a chump as I hand over hundreds of dollars, so I won't be back. On my last visit I politely asked to see a Pentax lens and the 'helpful' clerk first berated me for using what he called 'Jap Junk' and then lectured me like I was a 10 year old on his perference of German glass. I walked out vowing never to return.
04-21-2007, 05:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I have had good results with mailorder sales from The Camera Store which is centered in Calgary. Not only were their prices better than any local 'brick and mortar' camera store but they were very helpful and pleasant. I have been to Henry's in Toronto and on almost every occasion found the staff snotty and rude. I don't like to be made to feel like a chump as I hand over hundreds of dollars, so I won't be back. On my last visit I politely asked to see a Pentax lens and the 'helpful' clerk first berated me for using what he called 'Jap Junk' and then lectured me like I was a 10 year old on his perference of German glass. I walked out vowing never to return.
Wow prices here in Canada still brutal at the Camera store the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC - Pentax mt retails for $719.95 and on Ebay eBay: Sigma 18-50mm EX DC Digital Lens for Pentax K10D K100D (item 160107807326 end time Apr-27-07 15:01:29 PDT) it is $299 US - with todays exchange that is about $350.00 half price !! Is this really the same lens ?
04-21-2007, 05:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have never bought a lens in Canada.

I've either bought through eBay or from KEH.

The savings ARE substantial! Just don't let the vendor send the equipment through UPS, FedEx, etc.

USPS is the way to go- no brokerage fees, and often the packages slip by customs without taxes. There is NO duty payable any more on items from the U.S.

Hope this helps.

04-21-2007, 05:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom Lusk Quote
I have never bought a lens in Canada.

I've either bought through eBay or from KEH.

The savings ARE substantial! Just don't let the vendor send the equipment through UPS, FedEx, etc.

USPS is the way to go- no brokerage fees, and often the packages slip by customs without taxes. There is NO duty payable any more on items from the U.S.

Hope this helps.
Taxes - here would include GST (I live in a PST free zone !!) - so if it gets flagged at Customs - what is the delivery delay like ? And do they send a letter that Taxes are due or are they due on Delivery ?
04-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Taxes - here would include GST (I live in a PST free zone !!) - so if it gets flagged at Customs - what is the delivery delay like ? And do they send a letter that Taxes are due or are they due on Delivery ?
When I have items sent to me from the US by USPS I generally get a post card in my mail box telling me to pick the item up at the Post Office. When I pick it up they ask for photo ID and then you have to pay appropiate taxes (GST & PST) + $5.00 service charge. If the shipper uses a courier service (Fedex or UPS) you will still pay the taxes + brokerage fees (always more than $5.00!) + very high shipping costs compared to USPS.

Expect shipments by USPS in no less than a week and no more than 3 weeks but average about 2 weeks from shipping date. This information is based on my personal experiences. Anything may be subject to inspection so don't be supprised if the package has been opened and resealed.
04-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
When I have items sent to me from the US by USPS I generally get a post card in my mail box telling me to pick the item up at the Post Office. When I pick it up they ask for photo ID and then you have to pay appropiate taxes (GST & PST) + $5.00 service charge. If the shipper uses a courier service (Fedex or UPS) you will still pay the taxes + brokerage fees (always more than $5.00!) + very high shipping costs compared to USPS.

Expect shipments by USPS in no less than a week and no more than 3 weeks but average about 2 weeks from shipping date. This information is based on my personal experiences. Anything may be subject to inspection so don't be supprised if the package has been opened and resealed.
Thanks - I have no PST I checked and that Ebay store uses USPS. Still with all the fees and taxes less than half price - that surpirses me as generally with other electronics I find the prices comparable here versus the US.

I think I may pick this one up or see if I can find a f2.8 17-70 would be my preferred .

This is just not right - woudl rather support local buisness but not at twice the price for sure.
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #11

Wow prices here in Canada still brutal at the Camera store the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC - Pentax mt retails for $719.95 and on Ebay eBay: Sigma 18-50mm EX DC Digital Lens for Pentax K10D K100D (item 160107807326 end time Apr-27-07 15:01:29 PDT) it is $299 US - with todays exchange that is about $350.00 half price !! Is this really the same lens ?
Daacon,

Don't be too quick to judge McBain as overpriced. The Sigma 18-50 sells there for $649.00, although it is special order, not store stock. I have found that McBain and The Camera Store are fairly competitive.

The other thing I have noticed is that Pentax branded lenses hae much less markup in Canada than Tamron or Sigma. Most of the Pentax lenses have about the same price (in Can dollars) as the retail price in the US (in US dollars). We just don't get the rebates. For example, the DA 40mm Limited is $275 from B&H, $299 from McBain, and @289 from The Camera Store. Really, it is another good reason to buy Pentax lenses, if they suit your need.

Having said that, I have bought a lens from the US, and will be ordering a bunch of filters from down south, and no one in Canada seems to have reasonable prices on filters!

There are so many of us Edmonton-area types, we should meet someday.

Chris
04-21-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live in Alberta , just outside Edmonton and it seems my choices are limited - London Drugs , I have been on Mcbain Camera web site - their prices seem high. I have not walked into one yet. Japan Camera may be another site

I know there a few Albertans on the Forum - where do you buy ? I was thinking Ebay - but wondering about duties and all - I have purchased a few things on Ebay - nothing major. Any decent Canadian online stores people have a preference for ?

Is Ebay the best choice ? Any Brick and Mortar stores anyone can recommed ?
When I put my FA*300mm lens up for sale on this forum a few weeks ago, I was somewhat surprised no one from Canada (Edmonton, specifically) was interested. In my listing I explained how I came about my asking price, which I thought was quite reasonable. This lens will soon be a U.S. citizen, subject to the buyer taking 3 days to inspect and adopt it.
04-22-2007, 05:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
When I put my FA*300mm lens up for sale on this forum a few weeks ago, I was somewhat surprised no one from Canada (Edmonton, specifically) was interested. In my listing I explained how I came about my asking price, which I thought was quite reasonable. This lens will soon be a U.S. citizen, subject to the buyer taking 3 days to inspect and adopt it.
I probably did not look then - this LBA I have seems to come and go it was rather bad last night and I almost pulled the pin - but managed to survive that bout. I do not alway look at the swap shop here . Good luck with your Immigration if it comes back let me know !
04-22-2007, 05:44 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silverbullet Quote
Daacon,

There are so many of us Edmonton-area types, we should meet someday.

Chris
That sounds doable - assuming spring arrives (my First Ball Game is suppose to be tomorrow ya think ?) - a lunch meeting somewhere sound good to me.
04-22-2007, 07:18 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Is Canada much cheaper than UK?

My uncle from Canada is coming to visit. Is it worth him buying a lens for me on my behalf and bringing it over in his luggage or are the prices not that much different.

He lives in Vancouver and could probably do online (but not if it takes months to backorder) or could go in a store.

I'm interested in either the DA 10-17mm FE or DA 50-200mm. Are these easy to get hold of? Cheapest prices I can find for these in UK is £330 and £170 respectively.