Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2007, 07:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxkat Quote
My uncle from Canada is coming to visit. Is it worth him buying a lens for me on my behalf and bringing it over in his luggage or are the prices not that much different.

He lives in Vancouver and could probably do online (but not if it takes months to backorder) or could go in a store.

I'm interested in either the DA 10-17mm FE or DA 50-200mm. Are these easy to get hold of? Cheapest prices I can find for these in UK is £330 and £170 respectively.
Could be at Mcbain Camera pentax autofocus lenses - order online from McBain Camera (Brick and Mortar) 0271716 Pentax SMC-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fisheye $499.00 Cdn and Pentax SMC-DA 50-200mm F4.0-5.6 $219.00

Online they show in stock Approx. delivery time: 2 days to major centers accros Canada - cetainly cheaper that what you are showing (conversion rate Approx 2.25067 )

04-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I buy most of my camera equipment from London Drugs, when it's on sale.

However, living in a border town I buy all my lenses south of the border, and cross the line to bring them up. You'd be surprised how much you can save by just getting things delivered to the south side of the border and acting as your own customs agent.

pentaxkat, your uncle lives close enough to the border where it would probably pay him to do the same, not to mention that the drive is beautiful any time of the year
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Could be at Mcbain Camera pentax autofocus lenses - order online from McBain Camera (Brick and Mortar) 0271716 Pentax SMC-DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 Fisheye $499.00 Cdn and Pentax SMC-DA 50-200mm F4.0-5.6 $219.00

Online they show in stock Approx. delivery time: 2 days to major centers accros Canada - cetainly cheaper that what you are showing (conversion rate Approx 2.25067 )
These lenses are cheaper from thecamerastore
in Calgary. The 10-17mm fisheye lens is $479 and the 50-200 is $189.

Just trying to be helpful.
04-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
When I put my FA*300mm lens up for sale on this forum a few weeks ago, I was somewhat surprised no one from Canada (Edmonton, specifically) was interested. In my listing I explained how I came about my asking price, which I thought was quite reasonable. This lens will soon be a U.S. citizen, subject to the buyer taking 3 days to inspect and adopt it.
Don't assume that no one locally was interested, but rather no one locally had the budget for it. I would have loved this lens, but the cost, while fair, represented more than I have spent so far on my entire kit. Maybe next time!

Chris

04-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
I try to buy from McBain, though I usually get them to match the Camera Store prices (saves me $20-40). Otherwise, i buy from Henry's on eBay. Also good prices.
04-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I have a local 'brick and mortar' camera store and paid them a visit on Saturday. They want $550 for the fisheye and $229 for the 50-200mm. I'd love to support them but it I am not independantly wealthy so I have to go with a cheaper alternative. By purchasing Canadian you get a 2 year Pentax warranty. I am cautious about buying Internationally for fear of 'them' not honouring your warranty if you live in Canada. Maybe I am wrong, though.
04-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I have a local 'brick and mortar' camera store and paid them a visit on Saturday. They want $550 for the fisheye and $229 for the 50-200mm. I'd love to support them but it I am not independantly wealthy so I have to go with a cheaper alternative. By purchasing Canadian you get a 2 year Pentax warranty. I am cautious about buying Internationally for fear of 'them' not honouring your warranty if you live in Canada. Maybe I am wrong, though.
See if they will match the prices! They want your business, so give them a shot.

Regarding the warranty, you get 2 years in Canada, 1 year international.

04-22-2007, 09:54 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... and on almost every occasion found the staff snotty and rude. I don't like to be made to feel like a chump as I hand over hundreds of dollars, so I won't be back. On my last visit I politely asked to see a Pentax lens and the 'helpful' clerk first berated me for using what he called 'Jap Junk' and then lectured me like I was a 10 year old on his perference of German glass.
I've been to their downtown store a number of times over the years. I have met a couple of salesmen that would politely be called Grumpy Old Men. Not really rude. Just grumpy, old & male. Overall my experience with their online staff, mail orders, and the bricks & mortar staff has been quite positive. But a comment like "J@p junk" is completely uncalled for and I'll bet if the owner of the store saw this s/he would be very upset.

Off topic here... I walked into a drug store that sold used camera gear (you know the one) a couple years ago. Tucked into a corner of the photo display was a small collection of Pentax gear. The clerk was quite knowledgeable but he was a snob, making it clear within the first minute that Nikon was his preferred brand & he didn't care much about Pentax. How do I know? Maybe it was his opening proclaimation "I am a Nikon user and I don't know about this old Pentax equipment" that gave me the first clue.

So I did the only thing I could do. I took full & complete advantage of the situation. He sold me a 50/1.4 and a 100/4 macro for $100.

Knowledge is power and shall be used ruthlessly against snobby salespeople. The best thing is, he probably thought he was taking advantage of me.

Next time you run into a snobby salesperson, ask to buy some of their Pentax junk for cheap and see what they say. Remember to keep a straight face.
04-22-2007, 11:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Has anyone in Canada found any lenses in pawn shops?
I always hear of people buying them there, but have never seen any when I've looked.
04-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #25
Inactive Account

shops south of the border

My uncle is actually extremely close to the border and used to regularly go across shopping, although I understand security has tightened (my american aunt used to be able to go across without a passport but she wouldn't dream of doing this now).

Are there any shops really near the border (preferably near a big supermarket or some other stores to entice them into making the trip, or on the way to Mount Baker...)? I wouldn't want him to drive too far only to find they didn't have anything in stock.
04-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My uncle is actually extremely close to the border and used to regularly go across shopping, although I understand security has tightened (my american aunt used to be able to go across without a passport but she wouldn't dream of doing this now).

Are there any shops really near the border (preferably near a big supermarket or some other stores to entice them into making the trip, or on the way to Mount Baker...)? I wouldn't want him to drive too far only to find they didn't have anything in stock.
Not sure how close a major store is but thought I would commnet on the boarder crossing. I usually fly 3 or 4 times a year into the US and yes the security is tighter and airport dependant on some things - as of this January yes you need a passport to fly inot the US.

I also drove across about a month ago at Coutts (Alberta) / Sweetgrass (Montana) - for driving across there is no need for a passport (yet) and I was amazed at how easy it was - a few questions / drivers license - thanks and see ya! Now this was a Sunday afternoon. Who is on duty , the events of the day globally as well the mood of the person at the boarder and your attitude all have an effect of course - but IMHO driving across Is still relatively simple compared to the shoe removing, liquid restrictions , lap top scanning , and metal detecting airports.
04-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #27
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
. . .
Off topic here... I walked into a drug store that sold used camera gear (you know the one) a couple years ago. Tucked into a corner of the photo display was a small collection of Pentax gear. The clerk was quite knowledgeable but he was a snob, making it clear within the first minute that Nikon was his preferred brand & he didn't care much about Pentax. How do I know? Maybe it was his opening proclaimation "I am a Nikon user and I don't know about this old Pentax equipment" that gave me the first clue.

So I did the only thing I could do. I took full & complete advantage of the situation. He sold me a 50/1.4 and a 100/4 macro for $100.

Knowledge is power and shall be used ruthlessly against snobby salespeople. The best thing is, he probably thought he was taking advantage of me.

Next time you run into a snobby salesperson, ask to buy some of their Pentax junk for cheap and see what they say. Remember to keep a straight face.
I spent quite a while post-Christmas discussing cameras with the sales guy at the London Drugs near where my car was getting serviced. He used a K100D and told how he recently attended the product launch of the k10d and especially how he and the others salivated over the DA limited pancake lenses being demoed there.
And which they had no examples of in stock.

When he learned I used a Minolta X-700 and had a few (3) nice lenses for it, he said I should consider the Sony alpha which accepted Minolta lenses. After all they had a 2-week return policy and I could try both cameras out side by side. Despite the misinformation about the old MD lenses fitting an alpha, I found this guy to be genuinely interested in helping me find a new digital camera I'd be most happy with and not the slightest bit brand-snobbish. I ended up buying my camera there, but while they claim they can get anything that Pentax Canada produces, their appalling lack of stock at all their locations limits my business with them.

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
Has anyone in Canada found any lenses in pawn shops?
I always hear of people buying them there, but have never seen any when I've looked.
I phoned around a while back and the universal response was "we turfed a load of that stuff a few weeks ago". Makes me wonder how many vintage gems now reside in the landfill. Best bet for used around here appears to be Classic Camera Exchange, the classifieds, and EBay. Both McBain and London Drugs have a small cache of used Pentax and 3rd party K-mount lenses, usually covered in a thick layer of dust. I saw a white Pentax power zoom (28-???) with a price tag of $100 scratched out and $50 written under it. Felt cheap and plasticky, though.

Anyone local can send me or post here their wish list and I'll keep an eye open for them. I can't stay away from camera shops.

And yes camera brand snobs do need to be taken advantage of, when encountered. That attitude seems contradictory to the spirit of photography, IMHO.
--
dbh
04-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I have a US based address (really just a store making a couple of extra bux) where I get my lenses sent to. However if your uncle wants to make a 2 day trip of it he might want to drive or even take the bus to Kenmore WA, and check out their store. Their prices seem to be around the same as KEH, and they seem to have a pretty good selection of used lenses.

I got one of my lenses through them and am very happy with their service.
04-23-2007, 11:28 AM   #29

When I have items sent to me from the US by USPS I generally get a post card in my mail box telling me to pick the item up at the Post Office. When I pick it up they ask for photo ID and then you have to pay appropiate taxes (GST & PST) + $5.00 service charge. If the shipper uses a courier service (Fedex or UPS) you will still pay the taxes + brokerage fees (always more than $5.00!) + very high shipping costs compared to USPS.

Expect shipments by USPS in no less than a week and no more than 3 weeks but average about 2 weeks from shipping date. This information is based on my personal experiences. Anything may be subject to inspection so don't be supprised if the package has been opened and resealed.
USPS has beaten a UPS shipment to me of the same item shipped from the same place in New Mexico. They are not always slower than the pony express, but if you want it PDQ without a $ care then ask for Fedex. By the way the item was a $25 book/dvd. UPS broke the DVD and charged an additional $30 above the $5 I paid the company for the book. USPS additional costs were nil.
04-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #30

DBH,

Which LD have you found Pentax stuff at? I'm always on the lookout for stuff I didn't know I needed!
McBain downtown had a FA 28 2.8 last week for cheap. Unfortunately the filter ring was broken in a couple of places. Kept my money in my pocket.
Have you ever had any luck bargaining at Classic Camera Exchange? His prices are out of line, often to the point of being more expensive than new.