Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
I have FA*80-200/2.8 and just recently bought DA*50-135.

The reason for buying 50-135 is because of the weight issue.
I don't know how big you are or how steady your hand holding technique, but I'm not that big and need a lot of practice to hold my mighty FA*80-200.

The FA*80-200 is a little bit heavier than Tamron/Sigma counterpart.
After shooting with 80-200, the 50-135 feels so light in comparison.
It really depends how far away do you want to shoot the wedding for.

If I were the main photographer, I'll choose 50-135 because of the useful 50-79mm focal length inside the house.
I have DA*16-50 too but it's too wide for tight portrait in a big house/church.

But if you're using it to shoot other event that needs distance/maybe to the zoo/safari park, the FA* 80-200 is the better choice since it also works very well with Tamron 1.4x TC.
I haven't found any TC that works well with DA*16-50 nor 50-135.
I am a pretty big guy but I don't want to carry a 3lbs lens on top of my K20D+BG to run around and shoot for 4+ hours. I think I the 50-135mm should be fine for me. The weight is not that bad.

Wheatfield,
I was seriously thinking about getting the FA 77mm f/1.8 to use at the wedding and for the portrait shots. The next few classes that I will be taking I will do studio portraits and I would love to have this lens. But amazon.com did not have it in stock and I didn't want to buy it from the other vendors so I went with the 50-135mm.

That will be the next lens on my list. That one or the DA 70mm. Maybe in the near future when I start to get paid for shooting I can get the FA 31mm as well.

But my next telephoto lens on my list is the Sigma 150-500mm. Of course I won't use this for weddings and I won't buy this anytime soon. Maybe 2-4 years down the line. I am just thinking ahead. I hope Pentax will have something up there sleeves by then.