Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Zeiss color (Zeiss 35mm f/2 ZF Distagon T*) vs. Pentax color (DA 15/4 Limited)

Interesting comment...

"...one of the major attractions of Zeiss lens designs is their splendid color transmission characteristics (a trait shared by the really quite special Pentax 15mm DA Limited lens I've been using recently)."

See... The Online Photographer: Zeiss 35mm f/2 ZF Distagon T*

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 05-19-2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: clarification
05-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always find zeiss to be neutral in colour rendition, Pentax errs on the warmer side of the tonal palette. The Pentax FA77 is warmer in tonal rendition to my zeiss 85mm f/1.4 and I prefer the warmth of the FA77 to the Zeiss lens, not to mention the FA77 is MUCH smaller than the zeiss lens and it doesn't intimidate portraiture subjects.

I prefer the neutrality of the Pentax 50mm f/1.2 VS The Nokton 58mm f/1.4 SLII besides the Nokton doesn't have the flare resistance the pentax lens posesses. Though when compared both lenses yield exceptionally high resolution you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two if resolution was the only thing that mattered. on a subjective note: The Bokeh of the pentax 50mm f/1.2 wipes the floor with the nokton - I submit that there are few lenses that can match the pentax f/1.2 lenses ( I know, I'm so biased but I LOVE 50mm lenses especially the FAST ones)

The interesting thing I have noted is that both zeiss and voigtlander branded lenses are really cosina products in drag, yet they preserve the essence of tonal rendition that is unique to each name, Zeiss for their neutrality, Voigtlander for their slightly cooler but contrasty rendering. no doubt, as a result of this cross pollination a lot of cosina branded lenses themselves are a bit of a mixed bag.
05-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It would be nice to have a spectral transmission database and a program that uses it to change the colors in photos. You could turn your Zeiss colors into Pentax colors and back, with a single click. Albeit, collecting such data sounds more involved than collecting barrel distortion data.
05-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

The interesting thing I have noted is that both zeiss and voigtlander branded lenses are really cosina products in drag, yet they preserve the essence of tonal rendition that is unique to each name, Zeiss for their neutrality, Voigtlander for their slightly cooler but contrasty rendering. no doubt, as a result of this cross pollination a lot of cosina branded lenses themselves are a bit of a mixed bag.

Just a side note re: the Zeiss badged, Cosina manufactured Z series is that the glass is still produced and QC'd by Zeiss, then shipped to Cosina for assembly. Not sure about the Voigt glass, as Voigtlander does exist still as well in Germany.

On the original topic, I'd chip in my 2 cents that the FA31 I had, vs the various Zeiss lenses I've used proved very similar. On the K20, I found my outdoor shots to be uniformly well toned and contrasted. I stress the 'well' part with these as with both the FA31 and various (modern) Zeiss, I often noted less blow-out/fade than with my Sigma lenses for example.

Thats the limit of my frame of reference however. Ironically in the year and a half I owned Pentax cameras, I only ever had the FA31 for any length of time.

K.

05-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #5

The colors rendered from difference Zeiss are not the same. There are cooler ones and warmer ones.
05-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote

On the original topic, I'd chip in my 2 cents that the FA31 I had, vs the various Zeiss lenses I've used proved very similar. On the K20, I found my outdoor shots to be uniformly well toned and contrasted. I stress the 'well' part with these as with both the FA31 and various (modern) Zeiss, I often noted less blow-out/fade than with my Sigma lenses for example.
Yes, I aggree. Sigma takes on highlight much better than Voigtlander lenses. In fact, some voigtlander primes do give ugly later/vertical bokeh with reflecting surfaces...

My main concern for modern EX series lenses are the fact that the colour reproduction are rather poor. Better for close focus subjects instead of landscape style of images.
05-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sigma EX lenses also have the worst flare resistance I have ever seen...

05-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
Inactive Account

That is why it is still my firm belief that it is perfectly acceptable for a person to own a set of Zeiss, a set of Voigtlander, a set of FA Ltds, a set of DA* primes. I think I need one or two more Zeiss, (21? 50 Macro?), two more voigts (20? 180?), and then while Pentax is working on more DA* primes, I thought I would also start a set of Nikkors.

On the original topic, I'd chip in my 2 cents that the FA31 I had, vs the various Zeiss lenses I've used proved very similar.

K.
Hi Kelly!

I find the same result of the FA 31 being very similar in color and character to the Zeiss lenses. I find that the Zeiss lenses seem to be very comparable to one another, while the differences in just the 3 FA Ltds are very different, and I find the coloring of the FA Ltds, to be warmer than the older M or A series, (which seem to resemble the DA series, sort of)

The Voigtlanders are definitely different in color and exposure to the Zeiss, and to Pentax, except that I find the Voigtlander 90 very similar to the FA 43 Ltd. in color as well as highlight rendition and control, and the Voigtlander 58 very similar to the DA*55 in many many aspects, except bokeh.

The Nikkors (at least on Pentax body) seem more resembling the FA series or FA* lenses and highlight/shadows.
05-20-2009, 09:56 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Hello Brian, James, all.

Well said Brian - of course I agree I do miss my Voigts and the manual Zeiss I had. No matter how good I have it, I'd used all the lenses I did for a reason, and even similar lenses I use now are different. If I had unlimited funds I'd be tempted to get a K7 and a Nokton, just for those sort of shots.
05-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hello Brian, James, all.

Well said Brian - of course I agree I do miss my Voigts and the manual Zeiss I had. No matter how good I have it, I'd used all the lenses I did for a reason, and even similar lenses I use now are different. If I had unlimited funds I'd be tempted to get a K7 and a Nokton, just for those sort of shots.
Hi Kelly. I have discovered the beauty of Nokton 58mm f1.4 wide open for night scenery shots. Bright and colourful wide open than stopping down. It is true addictive