Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Killed (or at least slowed down) LBA with a club

Well, I found a temporary cure for LBA, I think. Kill it with a monsterous club

View Picture EXIF
Name:  P5180005.JPG
Views: 561
Size:  141.0 KB

Anyone have much experience with the 500mm/4.5 SMC Tak? The UPS guy just dropped it off and I did a quick focus check and the min focus seems about right, even though it is way out there at 33ft, but I either missed my long distance target and went past it with the focus ring or I'm not getting proper infinity focus. The tree I aimed at looks well over 200 yds, but it doesn't look quite right in focus ever. Ok, tried again, I think it's just me, I'll have to wait for the split prism to get here.

Time to hit the road and get back to work. This lens will have to wait until the weekend for more judgement.

It may not be as prestigeous as the F and FA 500's, but it fits the bill for me. I can't believe they only used the 1/4 inch thread in the tripod mount for this beast instead of a 3/8 thread.

05-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Yikes! that makes my back hurt just to look at it! Tho being from the Bronx, I'm sure nobody would mess with me carrying that thing around. I could call it "my safety lens".
Seriously, congratualtions, that's a great looking bat...er...club...er lens!

NaCl(and a marvelous find)H2O
05-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #3

What a nice backpacking lens. Well, sure you will lose some weight.

Congrat
05-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congrats on that monster - the feature I love on those old Tak-teles (though I've only seen 'em in pictures - never got to play with one) is the gunsight on top (at least I've assumed that's what that little spike is towards the front). I know with my 400mm + 1.7x or 2x TC, it's sometimes hard to find my subject once my eye's in the viewfinder... I'm learning to target the lens properly, but a built in aid like that would help.

I assume you have the official m42 adapter... if you are using the flanged kind that would keep the lens from focusing to infinity.

05-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hehe I have one. It is great in f8+
05-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, I have the official Pentax adapter, so that's not the issue.

And yes, you're right, there are iron sights on it comparable to gun sights. I'm looking forward to getting this lens out this weekend when I go up north by the parents for the holiday weekend. Now I can "shoot" the eagles over the marsh by the lake. HAHA
05-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Congrats on that monster - the feature I love on those old Tak-teles (though I've only seen 'em in pictures - never got to play with one) is the gunsight on top (at least I've assumed that's what that little spike is towards the front). I know with my 400mm + 1.7x or 2x TC, it's sometimes hard to find my subject once my eye's in the viewfinder... I'm learning to target the lens properly, but a built in aid like that would help.

I assume you have the official m42 adapter... if you are using the flanged kind that would keep the lens from focusing to infinity.
My M 400 has the shotgun sight as well. A definitely nice addition. It doubles as the lens hood position lock.
05-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My M 400 has the shotgun sight as well. A definitely nice addition. It doubles as the lens hood position lock.
How is that?? I looked mine over after reading that, but didn't feel/see any way the front bead moved for locking. Are you using it as a point to wrap a rubber band around the hood or something?

If they have that trick built in to the older lens, I can't figure out how to operate it.

05-20-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
How is that?? I looked mine over after reading that, but didn't feel/see any way the front bead moved for locking. Are you using it as a point to wrap a rubber band around the hood or something?

If they have that trick built in to the older lens, I can't figure out how to operate it.
It's a screw. Turn it clockwise (looking down on it) with the help of the nurled part at the base and it locks the hood, turn it counterclockwise and it releases it.
05-20-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's a screw. Turn it clockwise (looking down on it) with the help of the nurled part at the base and it locks the hood, turn it counterclockwise and it releases it.
The wealth of knowledge on this site never ceases to amaze me!
05-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
The wealth of knowledge on this site never ceases to amaze me!
I agree 100% with your comment. There are people on this site that make me feel like an amateur in the bad sense of the word.
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree 100% with your comment. There are people on this site that make me feel like an amateur in the bad sense of the word.
This place has been a great resource for me, and I'm not so sure I know where I'd be without it.

I checked mine out closer. The feature on yours must be something they figured out a little later. Mine is a smooth beaded stud that is threaded into the barrel of the lens, but screwing it in and out appears to not do anything but remove the stud. It sounds like your sighting bead is threaded into hood and works as a set screw pressing on the lens barrel, smart.
05-21-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

This place has been a great resource for me, and I'm not so sure I know where I'd be without it.

I checked mine out closer. The feature on yours must be something they figured out a little later. Mine is a smooth beaded stud that is threaded into the barrel of the lens, but screwing it in and out appears to not do anything but remove the stud. It sounds like your sighting bead is threaded into hood and works as a set screw pressing on the lens barrel, smart.
What do you know? Mine has a knurled ring at the bottom of the stud. Screwing it in and out works as specified. I think it's a great idea. The lens hood stays put in either the in or out position (or anything in between). I wonder if you could modify your gun sight to work the same?
05-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Where exactly is your front gunsight bead mounted on the lens?

If your stud is threaded into the lens barrel, it must push on some lever for locking the hood anywhere.

If it is in the sliding hood itself, then I'd guess it would be acting like a set screw where when you turn it to lock the hood, the sight presses against the barrel below it. This seems like the more logical (simpler, cheaper) way to build a locking function. The only disadvantage would be that the hood would need a rail to keep it oriented at the very top. (my hood spins freely, so if the sight was on my hood instead of the barrel, I could spin the sight underneath)
05-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Where exactly is your front gunsight bead mounted on the lens?

If your stud is threaded into the lens barrel, it must push on some lever for locking the hood anywhere.

If it is in the sliding hood itself, then I'd guess it would be acting like a set screw where when you turn it to lock the hood, the sight presses against the barrel below it. This seems like the more logical (simpler, cheaper) way to build a locking function. The only disadvantage would be that the hood would need a rail to keep it oriented at the very top. (my hood spins freely, so if the sight was on my hood instead of the barrel, I could spin the sight underneath)
It is in the back end of the sliding hood, and there is no groove or guide for it. I just line it up using the aperture and distance scales, by eye.
Attached Images

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 05-21-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added photo of M 400 with gun sight