Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 10:16 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate the suggestions, the reason I wasn't considering the DA 70mm is because I kind of wanted to use the lens on my older film cameras as well as my K20d. Despite shooting mostly digital I still love to get out with my KX and my 6x7, so I had wanted a lens that could also be used on the KX.

I really like the look of the 77mm limited so that's probably where I'm going to head with this, though I wish it didn't cost so much haha.

I'm getting the 50-135 as an event lens. I do a lot of shooting for work that I think that lens would be perfect for. Out in canoes and working with kids where I'm not always that close to them but I'm not shooting from a mile away.

05-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you are considering film also and specifically manual focus and manual apature, then look at the range of movement of the focusing collar. 120-180 degrees is good, 90 is a little bit difficult to focus accurately, especially if it is a small diameter collar
05-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
if you are considering film also and specifically manual focus and manual apature, then look at the range of movement of the focusing collar. 120-180 degrees is good, 90 is a little bit difficult to focus accurately, especially if it is a small diameter collar
Thanks for the advice. What lenses would you recommend that fit that criteria that aren't any more expensive than the 77mm? What is the rotation on the 77mm?
05-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mk07138 Quote
Thanks for the advice. What lenses would you recommend that fit that criteria that aren't any more expensive than the 77mm? What is the rotation on the 77mm?
sorry I don't know what the 77 costs.

I wanted an 85 for a long time and ended up paying $350 for a brand new vivitar (samyang ) 85mm F1.4 . Some stores offer other branded versions for as low as $299 in NY

I have been very pleased with it.

05-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I do not do many portraits but use the FA77 all the time. The focus throw is maybe 160 degrees. I can manually focus with it as well as any lens, since it has a nice smooth action. The full metal construction is incredible. The small size and light weight means you can forget it's on the camera. The built-in hood is convenient. The bokeh is lovely.

It is a superlative lens. I do not think you can get better.

Capsule

plants = sex
With macro adapter.

05-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #21
Veteran Member

If you're thinking of using it for portraits on film as well as digital, I'll definitely put in a plug for the M100/2.8. It's on the long side for portraits on APS-C to my taste, but the FOV would be what I consider perfect on 35mm. I guess it might still be long by some people's standards. But for $100 or so, I don't think you can go wrong.

I'm not really a portrait shooter, and this was ISO 800, so don't necessarily judge by this, but here's a shot I kind of like from the M100/2.8 and my K200D:

05-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #22

Original Poster
sorry I don't know what the 77 costs.

I wanted an 85 for a long time and ended up paying $350 for a brand new vivitar (samyang ) 85mm F1.4 . Some stores offer other branded versions for as low as $299 in NY

I have been very pleased with it.
That's what I've been wanting to hear actually. I've been looking to see if anyone was really happy with the vivitar/samyang/polar/whatever 85mm. I still really like the look of the 77, but this is definitely a contender, especially with the price. Thanks guys for all of the advice and the pictures showing what you've been able to do with your lenses.

05-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what I've been wanting to hear actually. I've been looking to see if anyone was really happy with the vivitar/samyang/polar/whatever 85mm. I still really like the look of the 77, but this is definitely a contender, especially with the price. Thanks guys for all of the advice and the pictures showing what you've been able to do with your lenses.
I have posted some shots with it, and also with the SMC-F 1.7x AF TC. look down this forum a little

there is also a very detailed review in the lens review forum

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-19-2009 at 06:09 PM.
05-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been looking to see if anyone was really happy with the vivitar/samyang/polar/whatever 85mm.
I have looked at every thread and every picture and can only say it is underwhelming. Maybe that's not surprising for the price, but disappointing just the same.
05-20-2009, 12:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Do you want a single purpose lens or a multipurpose lens?
Best portrait lens, 77lt
Best portrait zoom, 50-135
Best portrait/general use lens, 70ltd
Best portrait/general/macro, sigma 70

I own the sigma 70 and it can do great portrait work. I would happily own all four at the same time if i had the money. For pure portrait work i would go the 77ltd though as it can produce that dreamy effect than none of the others really can.
Cheers
05-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I have looked at every thread and every picture and can only say it is underwhelming. Maybe that's not surprising for the price, but disappointing just the same.
I'd love to hear what you find so underwhelming

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/34...t-people-2.jpg

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/showproduct.php?product=483&cat=85

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 05-20-2009 at 04:18 AM.
05-20-2009, 06:44 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using the DA*55/1.4 for a while now in the studio, and I am finding it to be pretty magical.
It's expensive, and it might be too sharp for some people's taste (it's pretty unrelenting), but if you have the money, it should definitely be on the short list.
It will cover the full 135mm frame, but does lack an aperture ring, which will limit the bodies it can be used on.
It's manual focus ring is quite nice, so it is very usable on non SDM cameras.
05-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I've been using the DA*55/1.4 for a while now in the studio, and I am finding it to be pretty magical.
It's expensive, and it might be too sharp for some people's taste (it's pretty unrelenting),
I suspect that this is where some people have differing opinions about what a portrait lens should be.

personally, I don't mind if wide open a portrait lens is a little soft providing that when you stop down a little (to get depth), it is sharp Based on that criteria, I find the samyang (vivitar et al) a good lens. I note my SMC 105mm F2.8 is soft wide open, and I am quite sure the samyang at F2.8 is much sharper than the SMC 105F2.8 wide open.

QuoteQuote:
but if you have the money, it should definitely be on the short list.
It will cover the full 135mm frame, but does lack an aperture ring, which will limit the bodies it can be used on.
It's manual focus ring is quite nice, so it is very usable on non SDM cameras.
Don't disagree on all counts. Lack of apature ring, in my view really suggests if you want to use it on film, the PZ-1 is a good candidate.
05-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to hear what you find so underwhelming
Er, that's rather a difficult proposition. I mean, if there was anything particularly nice about it I could notate each attribute. But if something is underwhelming? How can that be precisely described?

We can start with images posted in this thread, which are not sharp. In fact none of the images I have seen approach the FA lenses for sharpness, bokeh, colour rendition or anything else really. Neither is the build up to the same standard (by report). Neither does it have any special personality (like some Russian lenses) that someone might specifically use it for.

I'm not saying it's a crap lens. Perhaps it's good for the price. That's fair. But I see no reason to add it to my kit. Feel free to post an image that changes my mind. I always need another LBA excuse!
05-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's expensive, and it might be too sharp for some people's taste (it's pretty unrelenting), but if you have the money, it should definitely be on the short list.
No lens is too sharp for me. One can always make an image softer, but not the opposite -- at least not without artifacts. That said, I appreciate other aspects of lenses besides sharpness. For example, scientifically there are sharper lenses than the FA43, but none render as wonderfully.

personally, I don't mind if wide open a portrait lens is a little soft providing that when you stop down a little (to get depth), it is sharp.
I don't mind either. And in fact it is a given that wide open a lens will be softer than stopped down. It's true for every lens on the planet.