Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #16

I realize it cost a bit, but if you don't have the Katz Eye (or equivalent0, it can make quite a difference. I have the optibrite coating for just your scenario.

cheer........Paul

05-20-2009, 12:23 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is this the SP version of the lens? If so, I must say, respectfully, you have not gotten close to that lens' potential yet. Take a look at this gallery of the lens, for example:

Tamron SP 300mm f/5.6 54B Lens Review | Lens, Macro, Better, Tamron, Focus | Manual Focus Lenses

Be sure to click on the "galley" link at this page. Also, the learned guys over at Manual Focus Forum have good stuff to say about this lens--you should do a search there--lots of info.

That said the lens is a slouch @ 5.6--are your images above shot wide open? Clearly, the first image is not properly focused. The lens can be bought in the US $100 range--for these reasons, is is a favorite, inexpensive 300mm choice for many. Images with the SP 60-300mm, @ 300mm, are believed to be indistinguishable from the prime 300--in case you run into the zoom pics you can use them too.
05-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Is this the SP version of the lens? If so, I must say, respectfully, you have not gotten close to that lens' potential yet. Take a look at this gallery of the lens, for example:

Tamron SP 300mm f/5.6 54B Lens Review | Lens, Macro, Better, Tamron, Focus | Manual Focus Lenses

Be sure to click on the "galley" link at this page. Also, the learned guys over at Manual Focus Forum have good stuff to say about this lens--you should do a search there--lots of info.

That said the lens is a slouch @ 5.6--are your images above shot wide open? Clearly, the first image is not properly focused. The lens can be bought in the US $100 range--for these reasons, is is a favorite, inexpensive 300mm choice for many. Images with the SP 60-300mm, @ 300mm, are believed to be indistinguishable from the prime 300--in case you run into the zoom pics you can use them too.
No, he has the older adaptal (1) version, not SP, not even adaptall 2. It's totally different lens solution.
05-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by warpedwoof Quote
I realize it cost a bit, but if you don't have the Katz Eye (or equivalent0, it can make quite a difference. I have the optibrite coating for just your scenario.

cheer........Paul
Actually I do have the KatzEye, and it has made a large difference with all of my lenses, just not this one.

05-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone have any recommendations for something half decent? I'm not looking for super expensive, and I don't mind screw mount at all. Screw mount is primarily what I currently use. I've been very happy with my Taks to date, but if getting a larger zoom, I'd like to get some recommendations.
05-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
eccs19:Anyone have any recommendations for something half decent? I'm not looking for super expensive, and I don't mind screw mount at all. Screw mount is primarily what I currently use. I've been very happy with my Taks to date, but if getting a larger zoom, I'd like to get some recommendations.
Yes, for about a $100 you can someitmes pick up the Tamron SP 300mm f 5.6 I mention above. There is lots written about it all over the web--many feel it is a best choice for a MF lens @ 300mm.

Read about it here--do a search:

Manual Focus Forum