Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Am I being overcritical?

I've got a 300mm Tamron F5.6 Adaptall lens. I'm not sure if I'm just expecting to much from this lens or not. I didn't pay much for it, so it's not a big concern, but I'm just wondering if what you see below is what I should expect out of a cheap prime lens. The examples are typical of what I get. Wide open or not, it's usually about the same. 1st shots have PP including sharpening, and the second shots are the same, but 100% cropped.

05-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Are you hand holding? If so, try a few shots on a tripod.
05-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't expect too much from RAW images when pixel peeping (scroll down to "Illustration"):

Demosaicing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

However, take a look at DA* 300, f/4, ISO800, K20D, 1/350s, handheld (100% crop, .pef->.png, no unsharp mask or denoise-ing):

Last edited by asdf; 05-18-2009 at 05:49 PM.
05-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Are you hand holding? If so, try a few shots on a tripod.
Those were hand held, but I've tried tripod, and not that much of a noticeable difference. I mainly find that my 100mm is WAY sharper at 100%. Even my 200mm seems nicer. I'm just not sure if once you start getting to the longer lenses, that it's harder to get sharp shots. (without spending LOTS of money)

05-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron Adaptall-2 SP Model 54B 300mm f/5.6 Flat-Field Tele-Macro

Yes and No. It is a fine lens for its intended use - but maybe not for what you want. The lens was really intended as an excellent long macro, with decent performance as a 300mm telephoto.

Here's the description of the lens from the Adaptall-2 website.

"Tamron SP 300mm F/5.6 Model 54B: A very good fixed focal length lens with excellent macro capabilities. Lens continuously focuses from infinity to 1:3.3 macro and features a built-in lens hood. Most importantly, this lens features a special "spherical aberration compensator group" (the light blue shaded elements in the above drawing) to remove the focus group's spherical aberration and field curvature when close focusing. A similar optical group is also found in several other SP telephoto lenses which Tamron produced during the 1980s. This lens is worth the price if you need a lens for macro work yet need considerable working distance from the subject for personal safety or other reasons. This lens should have sold better in its day, but few photographers understood or appreciated the benefit of the spherical aberration compensator group used within this lens for close focus work."

Here's the Link Tamron SP Adaptall-2 #54B 300mm f/5.6 Flat Field Tele-Macro

It really isn't the lens you are looking for. Not the one for you. Nope, you want something better.

If you want to swap it for some cash, send me a PM

Last edited by monochrome; 05-18-2009 at 07:40 PM.
05-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I have an old Vivitar 400mm f5.6, it works fine for what I use it for (i'm not real fussy).
Here is a quickie I took when I first recieved it, f5.6, iso200, jpeg and hand held.

05-19-2009, 04:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, but that's actually NOT the lens that I've got. I've got this one...

Google Translate

They are different, mine's not the macro one.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes and No. It is a fine lens for its intended use - but maybe not for what you want. The lens was really intended as an excellent long macro, with decent performance as a 300mm telephoto.

Here's the description of the lens from the Adaptall-2 website.

"Tamron SP 300mm F/5.6 Model 54B: A very good fixed focal length lens with excellent macro capabilities. Lens continuously focuses from infinity to 1:3.3 macro and features a built-in lens hood. Most importantly, this lens features a special "spherical aberration compensator group" (the light blue shaded elements in the above drawing) to remove the focus group's spherical aberration and field curvature when close focusing. A similar optical group is also found in several other SP telephoto lenses which Tamron produced during the 1980s. This lens is worth the price if you need a lens for macro work yet need considerable working distance from the subject for personal safety or other reasons. This lens should have sold better in its day, but few photographers understood or appreciated the benefit of the spherical aberration compensator group used within this lens for close focus work."

Here's the Link Tamron SP Adaptall-2 #54B 300mm f/5.6 Flat Field Tele-Macro

It really isn't the lens you are looking for. Not the one for you. Nope, you want something better.

If you want to swap it for some cash, send me a PM

05-19-2009, 04:58 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
I've got a 300mm Tamron F5.6 Adaptall lens. I'm not sure if I'm just expecting to much from this lens or not. I didn't pay much for it, so it's not a big concern, but I'm just wondering if what you see below is what I should expect out of a cheap prime lens. The examples are typical of what I get. Wide open or not, it's usually about the same. 1st shots have PP including sharpening, and the second shots are the same, but 100% cropped.
For me it looks like the bird is not in focus at the first pucture. Look at the leafs on the right side of the picture. It think the leafs are in focus. Please crop that part too.
05-19-2009, 05:50 AM   #9
Veteran Member

For me, regardless of how well priced, the quality of the output shown here would be unacceptable - especially when output on the long end of kit lens's 18-250, 55-300, 50-200 is way better at similar F stop - imho from what I have seen.

Dyl
05-19-2009, 07:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jyrkira Quote
For me it looks like the bird is not in focus at the first pucture. Look at the leafs on the right side of the picture. It think the leafs are in focus. Please crop that part too.
That is what stood out to me as well. I don't know how many times that has happened to me--I've wondered about the lens only to notice that there is another area of the photo which is sharper.
05-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
That is what stood out to me as well. I don't know how many times that has happened to me--I've wondered about the lens only to notice that there is another area of the photo which is sharper.
The bunny looks in focus, though.
05-19-2009, 08:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

First shot shouldn't count, it's definitely front focused.
05-19-2009, 10:42 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The biggest issue that I find with this lens, is that I seem to have trouble with the focus. I did a few of the bird, each time slightly adjusting to see if that was an issue, and this one was the best of the 5 that I tried. Some were obviously not focused. I'll have another look at the area mentioned, and see, but I don't think it's going to be much better.
05-19-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I can see that there is a possibility of the lens front focus where the grass before your subjects tend to be sharper. You coudl well have sharpened the image and hence sharpening halos in the foreground just before your intended focus.

Most telephoto lenses with dim maximum aperture tend to share this problem of unsharp image especially in the centre of the framing with accurate focusing.

Since your eyes are able to pick the obvious in the image, it is time to consider the option of better glass to move onto or try to use the best of it.

Remember that your light setting in these two images are not ideal. Hence the results.
05-19-2009, 03:41 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
Thanks for the info, but that's actually NOT the lens that I've got. I've got this one...

Google Translate

They are different, mine's not the macro one.
Ooops - my bad.