Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #1

Pentax or Sigma?

I have the opportunity to buy a used Sigma DG 50mm f1:2.8 Macro of a friend of mine for a very good price. the lens is in Like new condition.

I currently don't have a macro lens, and i guess my first choice would be something a little longer, (as I already have several lenses at 50mm) but i don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.

My question is how does it compare with the Pentax D FA 50mm Macro. I know the are about 2 and a half times the price I can get this Sigma for.

In the lens review section the Sigma gets an 8 and the Pentax gets a 9.
Will I be sorry later and wished I'd waited for the extra cash to get the Pentax?

My main use would be for portraiture and general walk about stuff.

Thanks for any input.

nikuyakun.

05-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
nikuyakun: I would try and find as many shots with each lens that you can find--then compare them. This will give you a good idea if the difference in lenses is significant or not.

Also, the Sigma score of 8 in the 3rd Party reviews is only based on 4 reviews. This is not enough to have a true, random sampling for an accurate lens score. Do yourself a favor and peruse the 40 reviews found here at this site where the lens earns an average score of 9.2. Sigma macros, though I don't own any, tend to be dearly loved by their owners. Best!

FM Reviews - 50mm f2.8 EX Macro 1:1 Lens
05-19-2009, 02:18 AM   #3

here you have a review of the Sigma lens in Canon mount at Photozone!
Sigma AF 50mm f/2.8 EX macro DG - Test Report / Review

Mike
05-19-2009, 03:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Several here have reviewed the lens for Pentax Mount (including myself):

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 50mm F2.8 EX DG (AF Lens)

When I had this lens it was a stellar performer with very little downside.

05-19-2009, 07:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree, the Sigma 50mm macro lens is a great lens. If you can get a for cheap I would buy it, you won't regret it.
05-19-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My friend, Joel has bought and sold this sigma 50mm f2.8 macro quite a number of times. It was a love and hate affair for him with this macro lens. Surely, there is a strong sense of nostalgia without this wonderful lens.

However, I think this sigma macro does not do too well in dim lit situation in terms of colour reproduction. The images usually turn out flat regardless how narrow depth of field is. The lens does autofocus focus a tad better than DFA 50mm macro. Sigma is a bargain really and it is reported sharp just like any other modern 50mm lenses. With modern 50mm lenses, sharpness is never really a problem. It really comes down to bokeh quality (not "boke"; it is the Japanese research team that coined the word for their pursuit of various optical rendering parameters in a lens), colour, contrast, overall hue and toning.
10-01-2009, 12:57 AM   #7
Site Supporter

roentarre's comment always makes sense.

roentarre's comment always makes sense. I think that I would not rely too much on Photozone's technical report. Lens is really combination between art and technology. You really to have use it in order to get a flavor of the lenses. I am still "tasting" my DFA.
10-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nikuyakun Quote
Will I be sorry later and wished I'd waited for the extra cash to get the Pentax?
I don't think so. If 50mm is the FL you want, I think your opportunity is a no-brainer.

However, given that one of your applications is portraits, I'd seriously consider the Sigma 70/2.8 DG EX because 50mm is on the short side for portraits.