Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
DFA 100mm macro and a lady with hairy legs

I found this spider in our garden a few days ago, while testing the SMC Pentax-DFA 100mm f2.8 macro lens.

But given that the spider was only about 5mm to start with, it does not look very impressive (spiders in Sweden are rarely much bigger). But some dark winter day some months ago I killed time with removing the lenses from a Kenko 2x MC7 Pz autofocus converter. Some may remember that I tried to modify this converter to work as a SDM capable AF converter with the DA*50-135mm last year in a thread here at Pentax Forum. Though I learned a bit on the way, it never worked. SDM engaged but the light losses was to large, so it only hunted wildly. So I took out the lenses instead, to get a screwdrive, SMD and A-contact capable tube. It is about 25mm thick. I recon this should turn the 100mm f2.8 1:1 macro into a 100mm f4.2 2:1 combo. At least the 2:1 appears to be rather acurate as the 5mm spider then covered about half the width of the sensor.

A lady with hairy legs

I'm quite hapy with the results. There are more shots with the DFA100mm macro at 1:2, 1:1 and 2:1 (with the tube) of the spider, flowers and an ant on my blog. I know that I need a better flash solution, but besides that obvious conclusion, comments and advices are very welcome. Has anyone else tried this lense beyond 1:1, or is anyone else using any other 1:1 macro lenses with tubes, has anyone got another source of AF capable tubes?

Last edited by Douglas_of_Sweden; 05-19-2009 at 05:56 PM. Reason: typo
05-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I see. This is a true lady with venom and spider trap. I can see these weapons unsealed with your lens. I am in awe
05-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I see. This is a true lady with venom and spider trap. I can see these weapons unsealed with your lens. I am in awe
Yes, you esilly feel like Frodo if you look to close at one of these ladies. But I think I'm more of a Sam Gamgi type.

Background is a bit noisy...should not have shot at 800, and should have some better flash option...but this is not so bad for a very close crop of a 2:1 shot of an originally 5mm spider.
05-21-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bumping my own thread since I was hooping for some more comments...maybe everyone where too busy reading K-7 threads?