Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A 50mm f1.4 repair question

Ok, so I had too much time on my hands and I sat down to try and repair a wobbly focus ring on my 50mm f1.4. I managed to tighten everything up so the wobble is gone, buuuuttttt. . . . . . . . I have two small pieces that I can't figure out where they go and how to get them in the right spot.

One is a small black ball, not a metal ball bearing but something of the sort, its kind of rough looking, not smooth metal. To be honest, I don't know if this came from the lens or not, I found it on the floor when I dropped the A selector button. I can't imagine where else it would have come from so I think it came out of the lens and I was thinking it had something to do with the A setting on the lens.

The other piece is a very small, white plastic piece. Once again I think this has something to do with the A setting on the lens. If anyone out there is like me and tries to take everything they own apart and put it back together could you possibly point me in the right direction here? I'm glad I managed to fix the wobble, and would be even more pleased if this went back together properly

I'd love it if someone could point me in the direction of a good exploded diagram of the lens or maybe a repair manual or parts list.

Haha, I do this kind of thing on a fairly regular basis, meaning I take things apart and then find I have extra pieces when they go back together, so I don't mind being told I'm an idiot for doing this

Thanks for all of your help guys!

05-19-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos? The description of a "very small, white plastic piece" doesn't help my imagination much .
05-19-2009, 06:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Ok, here are the extra pieces.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
05-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #4

Although I have the lens, I have not taken this particular one apart. I'd say your ball is probably the spring-loaded ball that runs across the notches that form the detentes for the aperture ring. If you're not getting the usual click as you manually shift the aperture, this is the reason why. I suspect the plastic part is somehow related to it or the aperture button. These balls are usually a pain to reinstall because they must rest in the little hole on the spring as you carefully try to slide the aperture ring over the cylinder of the lens. Just the slightest jiggle or misalignment and they're gone. ...best to do it over a tray or white towel because you'll be the rare person to get it right the first time. good luck.........Paul

05-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #5

oh, and if your A button has lost its springiness, you may have lost it somewhere as well. Miniscule camera and lens springs are notorious for leaping tall buildings with a single bound.

Paul
05-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the thought but the ball is not the one that runs across the detents. There is a little bitty silver one that does that. Haha, I dropped it 3 times earlier, pain the A$$ to find in carpeting.

I guess I'll keep trying to figure it out. i feel like both of them have something to do with with operation of the A setting but I'm not willing to take apart my A 28mm to figure it out.
05-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I don't recognize those little pieces. I've never worked on a Pentax-A 50mm 1.4, but the Pentax 50mm lenses I've worked on are -A 1.7 (multiple times), -A 2.0, -M 1.4, and -F 1.7.

Does you lens lock (need to press the little button to get out) at A position? Does it operate OK (the camera sets the aperture)?
05-20-2009, 07:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have taken several Pentax lenses apart and back together and have never seen such a roughly made "ball". Looks more like lead shot to me. Also the white plastic part is something I have never seen so far in a Pentax lens. From its form it could be inside the black A-position release button...Or it could go under the moveable A-contact. But if everything works fine, I would just keep these parts in a secure place and use the lens as is.

You should work on a tray in the future, so that no small parts fall down on the carpet. Makes things much easier...

Ben

05-20-2009, 09:31 AM   #9

Original Poster
I figured it out guys. I honestly have no idea where that ball came from. It was sitting on my floor when I dropped another piece so I thought it came out but it definitely isn't from the lens.

As for the white plastic piece it is the cap that goes in one of the A contact holes on the lens mount. Somehow it fell out but I put it back in and the lens is very happy again.
05-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

Original Poster
Haha, yeah I should definitely be working in a tray. Unfortunately for me I love to take things apart, but at 24 I already have really bad shaky hands and as such probably shouldn't attempt things like this
05-20-2009, 11:18 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Looks more like lead shot to me.
That's exactly what i thought when i first seen the picture.

Do much fishing mk07138?