Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Are you really saying you've been shooting Pentax on the Antarctica?

In case you weren't just joking or using it as a general comparison, how did you DSLR body work there considering Pentax is only since K-7 talking about -10 degrees centigrade (a mildish winter temperature!)?
I've had my K10D out in -30 centigrade, without noticing any issues.

05-21-2009, 01:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Are you really saying you've been shooting Pentax on the Antarctica?
yes, I've been shooting with K10D and *istDS on the Antarctica & South Georgia. One day my K10D + Sigma 100-300 were TOTALY wet after few hours of rain on one South Georgia beach. K10D stopped working - but after 12 hours in very dry & warm cabin it started to work again. To say a true tempreatures in January are rather over 0 C.

In Poland during winter we have from time to time -10 degrees and even less. It never stops me to use my *istDS. If it is kept inside my parka it works without problems. Even if it stops because of cold batteries I always have warm backup in my inside pocket.
05-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I HATE the 24-70L with passion. To me its everything that is bad about canon.

its heavy, its big, its almost sharp, its way way over priced . but since it have this silly red line , you will find so many people telling you how great this lens is.

now about the 16-50

I read the reviews and then I see the samples and I keep wanting to get this lens. the only problem-- I love primes
05-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'm wondering about the sigma 24-70 HSM to. If it works with live view/contrast detect autofocus on the K-7 then it would be the perfect video lens for me(right range plus silent). Plus the silent AF might be more durable on sigma than pentax.

05-21-2009, 03:22 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I HATE the 24-70L with passion. To me its everything that is bad about canon.

its heavy, its big, its almost sharp, its way way over priced . but since it have this silly red line , you will find so many people telling you how great this lens is.

now about the 16-50

I read the reviews and then I see the samples and I keep wanting to get this lens. the only problem-- I love primes
Its funny that the most common zoom focal lengths is where Canon is a real let down. They make some great primes in this range if you've got $10,000 to cover your range but this lens is "so-so" while being HUGE and heavy and LACKING Stabilization. The 24-105 is an excellent lens with stabilization but it is only F4!! This is why I use the Tamron on my Canon while I have the 16-50 (and 43mm) for my Pentax. This is also one of the reasons I prefer Pentax for wedding photography.
06-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by devisor Quote
I need something better then the 16-50 da*

And have looked around and not sure wich one to go for.. The more natural choise is the sigma 24-70 with hsm, but havent seen any excamples with it.

what would be the lens that fits pentax that is as good as the canon 24-70L?
Thank you for this thread, I actually found it on the search while looking for a better lens than my current Tamron 28-75 for wedding photography, that will beat or at least match the Canon 24-70L.

QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
In Canon-land, the Tamron 28-75 is generally thought to be optically on-par (or close enough) with the 24-70L. It lacks in the autofocus speed and build-quality department, but considering the price difference, the 28-75 is a VERY good buy!

Also, the new Sigma 24-70 HSM is getting very good reviews, with many folks thinking it BEATS the 24-70L.

So if you shoot Pentax, the Tamron 28-75 is pretty much a no-brainer. I shot with it when I shot Pentax, and I loved it!
Exactly.
I have the Tamron 28-75 and no doubt it is a fine lens optically.
However, the build-quality of the 24-70L is so much better! It is built like a tank, and looks so good (please don't kill me for loving big lenses, that are made by Canikon) that it makes my Tammy look like a toy..

Thanks for the heads up about the new Sigma 24-70 HSM, never heard about it before (I own the Tammy for over a year now).
According to its filter size (82mm) it looks promising (I don't like these tiny 67mm lenses), I'll take a look on its specs/reviews right now.

Last edited by Enc0der; 06-01-2009 at 06:00 PM.
06-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I have only tried the Sigma 24-70 so I will only comment on this one lens.

Wide open for portraits is quite usable giving a "dreamy" feel, but for other scenes may appear soft. Stopping down one or two stops brings up the sharpness quite a bit. On the K20D, it focuses ridiculously fast. A friend of mine who also owns the same lens in Nikon mount was shocked by how quickly it focused compared to his, on the K100D the AF speed is nothing special. The lens is BIG and will get you noticed, which is can be good or bad depending on the situation. The one nag I do have about it is that it flares quite easily and the provided hoot doesn't seem to be too effective is stray light is coming in from the side (or top when in portrait orientation). I have been tempted to pick up the Tammy to see if the IQ is that much better, but all in all its hard to fault the sigma. The biggest deciding factor for me was the extra 4mm on the wide end, which makes a huge difference.
06-01-2009, 05:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
Thanks for the heads up about the new Sigma 24-70 HSM, never heard about it before (I own the Tammy for over a year now).
According to its filter size (82mm) is looks promising (I don't like these tiny 67mm lenses), I'll take a look on its specs/reviews right now.
Get one...it's been available for nearly a month now and no one has written up a review on it yet :-)

06-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
The one nag I do have about it is that it flares quite easily
Note that we're talking about the $900 *HSM* version. The $450 non-HSM version is known to flare badly and is pretty soft wide open...
06-01-2009, 08:28 PM   #25
Inactive Account

I had the 24-70 "L" when I was with Canon, I also had the Tamron 28-75. I found the 28-75 to be just as sharp and capable as the "L".

With Pentax I have the Tamron 28-75, and I have probably a better copy than I did when I was with Canon. If you get a good sharp copy, it can be an excellent lens. I also had the DA*16-50, but the range didn't work well for me. Focal range not a consideration, it's really hard to beat the DA*16-50, except maybe a really good copy of the Tamron 28-75. So I didn't really understand your statement of wanting "better" if you get a good copy of the 16-50 that's really hard to do. I would put the DA17-70 in third place.

My fourth overall choice for K-mount is a good copy of the Sigma 24-60, I had the 24-70, but what the 24-60 had going for it over the 24-70 was more Pentax like coloring as it was one of the very very few Sigma's that don't have that really weird yellow tinge to all the photos. (Yeah, I know I'm gonna get flamed for that comment, and yes, you can "sort of" fix it in post)
06-02-2009, 07:13 AM   #26

Did you find any review / user-review on the NEW sigma 24-70 HSM ?
I couldn't find anything except for press-release pages and some talks about it, but never a review from someone who actually have it..
06-02-2009, 03:31 PM   #27

I've heard some complains about the Sigma's HSM (based on other lenses), that said it misfocus a lot... not very nice.

While waiting for some reviews about this lens - is there any other lens that can mach canon 24-70L, IQ wise and also AF-Speed and BUILT QUALITY wise ?
24-70mm is my prefered focal range, along with F/2.8 aperture.

Thanks
06-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
NaClH2O
The Tamron 28-75 F2.8 XR DI Is a very good lens. Never having used the 24-70L, or even seen photos from it (that I know of anyway) I can't comment on any type of comparison, but if I was suddenly limited to one lens the Tammy 28-75 one would be it.

NaCl(my favorite walk-around zoom)H2O
QuoteQuote:
egordon99 In Canon-land, the Tamron 28-75 is generally thought to be optically on-par (or close enough) with the 24-70L. It lacks in the autofocus speed and build-quality department, but considering the price difference, the 28-75 is a VERY good buy!
Yes, if you quickly read through just a few of these 103 reviews on the Tammy 28-75, you will find many Canon owners who prefer the Tammy over the Canon 24-70. In fact, some go as far as to say the Tamron, money not even considered, is the better lens. There is also a link to performance tests with the two lenses.

FM Reviews - AF 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)
06-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Piotr: What I lack is 24-28mm. But here I always had second body with Pentax 12-24
few shots from this lens Tamron SP XR Di 28-75 1:2.8 Macro Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com
Nice shots there Piotr! Yes, I have had the K20 working, for hours at a time, in well below zero degrees Fahrenheit-- no problems at all.
06-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
As someone who has never used any of the lenses in question, my opinion isn't really worth much. But, based on samples I've seen, and general reputation too, I'd say *none* of the lenses for Pentax being discussed here are "better" than the 16-50. Unless of course the focal length range appeals to you more.
I agree Marc... the DA 16-50 is a great lens... my favourite zoom easily as I am into city and landscapes

Neil