Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #16
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My 50 is my only fast lens, the 18-55 isn't as fast for night shot I think (might be wrong). Maybe getting a cheap and fast 28 would work as well.

I don't like my 135 as much as other may, maybe because I don't know how to use it. Though I think that the sears version is different than the Pentax.

Last edited by YJD; 05-20-2009 at 07:46 PM.
05-20-2009, 10:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as I'm concerned, there are only two attribues that matter here: focal length and maximum aperture. Whether one lens is "better" than another in any other respect is probably less relevant in handheld night photography than anywhere else, because:

- subtleties of contrast are lost at night - there's bright and dark and little in between, and any lens can deal with that

- subtleties of color are similarly lost at night - there's orange incandescent light and brightly colored neon light and little else

- the lens is not going to be your biggest limiter to sharpness - noise from high ISO and shake from slow shutter speeds will be

Sure, it's *possible* to come up with counterexamples to these observatin, but I'm talking generally. As long as you lens has the focal length(s) you want and is reasonably fast, it will work as well as any other.

So I concur with the general idea that the 50 is great simly because it is the fastest, and the 18-55 is nice because at the wide end it just might be fast enough. Between SR and the possibility of resting against posts and so forth, you can shoot handheld at relatively slow shutter speeds and get away with it.

If I were taking just one lens for this myself, it would be my M28/2.8, which can easily be had for $50 or so. Here's a shot from it on my K200D at ISO 400, f/2.8, shutter speed 1/6", which was made steadier by leaning on a railing:

The 18-55 would have been at f/4 or f/4.5 at this focal length, which would have meant upping the ISO more, which would have been OK too.
05-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
As far as I'm concerned, there are only two attribues that matter here: focal length and maximum aperture. Whether one lens is "better" than another in any other respect is probably less relevant in handheld night photography than anywhere else, because:

- subtleties of contrast are lost at night - there's bright and dark and little in between, and any lens can deal with that

- subtleties of color are similarly lost at night - there's orange incandescent light and brightly colored neon light and little else

- the lens is not going to be your biggest limiter to sharpness - noise from high ISO and shake from slow shutter speeds will be

Sure, it's *possible* to come up with counterexamples to these observatin, but I'm talking generally. As long as you lens has the focal length(s) you want and is reasonably fast, it will work as well as any other.

So I concur with the general idea that the 50 is great simly because it is the fastest, and the 18-55 is nice because at the wide end it just might be fast enough. Between SR and the possibility of resting against posts and so forth, you can shoot handheld at relatively slow shutter speeds and get away with it.

If I were taking just one lens for this myself, it would be my M28/2.8, which can easily be had for $50 or so. Here's a shot from it on my K200D at ISO 400, f/2.8, shutter speed 1/6", which was made steadier by leaning on a railing:

The 18-55 would have been at f/4 or f/4.5 at this focal length, which would have meant upping the ISO more, which would have been OK too.
Great shot Marc!!
05-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #19
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I could deal with a M28 f2.8 or anything similar, though cheaper is better.
I wasn't planning to buy a new lens, I'll have to check how much money I have.

05-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
Also, any advice on bring my camera as a carry-on would be welcome.
I always bring my camera as a carry-on and have never had any trouble.

On the last trip, the TSA folks at the San Diego airport were having everyone take out cameras, cell phones and all kinds of stuff from their carry-ons, like you normally only do with laptops. This is my third experience where San Diego won't let you get away with something that is no problem at other airports; I call it the new rule airport. I let them look through the camera bag and they took a quick peek. I had the DS, a film body, 8 primes, a flash, a portable hard drive, caps, filters, memory cards and everything else stuffed in there. I don't see what they could possibly have learned but I don't ask questions in the airport security line.

As for the lens part, I have nothing to add that hasn't already been covered.
05-21-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I guess I could deal with a M28 f2.8 or anything similar, though cheaper is better.
Time is going to be the issue. If you scour Ebay and keep entering lowball bids, chances are that with a little patience you can score one for $20. I did, for my wife. The one I shoot with, I got in trade with someone else for one of my CD's. But if you've got to find one on short notice, the "buy it now" prices or KEH are likely to want closer to $100. But I figure $50 is a kind of "average" price to expect to pay.
05-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #22
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What do you guys thinks about one of those?
  1. Quantaray 28mm f2.8 ($50)
  2. Sears mc 28 f/2.8 ($25)
Thanks

05-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you guys thinks about one of those?
  1. Quantaray 28mm f2.8 ($50)
  2. Sears mc 28 f/2.8 ($25)
Thanks
I will look for one with 'A' setting.

If you have problems finding the wide angle, I can let you borrow my wide angles. I have two wide angle that you can borrow up to a month. You pay return shipping with insurance when done, roughly $8.0. I help you with free shipping to you since you have bought lens from me before. You can pick either one of the two. I personally like the 24mm view better for street shooting but for nigh time, you may find the Sigma better and it has AF.

1/6 sec, f/2.2, 28mm, iso 400, -0.7 Ev

1/6 sec, f/2.2, 28mm, iso 400, -0.7 Ev

Sigma 28mm f/1.8 AF II

PM me if that works for you.
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 05-21-2009 at 07:55 PM.
05-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I actually just got back using my 18-55 taking night shots 'round town... wider angle feature is great for city, beach and bridge shots. The 50mm 1.4 is great too for the walks at night.

Have fun!
05-30-2009, 09:11 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Applicable link to a great night shot...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/winners-showcase/52398-february-2009-winn...ay-bridge.html
05-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #26
Veteran Member

the easy answer is...Any of the lenses you listed, just wise up and use a tripod or a monopod. Why risk it?

Jason
05-30-2009, 02:01 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi,

I recently used my DA 16-45 for city at night shots and got excellent results. IMHO, for night shots, the lens is not as important as the tripod.
05-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #28
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Though, the reason I'm looking for a fast lens is because I won't be able to bring my tripod (just my Gorilla pod).
I bought a Sigma mini-wide II 28mm f2.8, I think that should do the job. My only problem is I'm having a hard time focusing on subject, in the view finder it looks good but not in lightroom. I think it is hard to see a difference with focusing with that lens... hopefully I will have 'master' that before I go to Vancouver.
05-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
I will look for one with 'A' setting.

If you have problems finding the wide angle, I can let you borrow my wide angles. I have two wide angle that you can borrow up to a month. You pay return shipping with insurance when done, roughly $8.0. I help you with free shipping to you since you have bought lens from me before. You can pick either one of the two. I personally like the 24mm view better for street shooting but for nigh time, you may find the Sigma better and it has AF.

PM me if that works for you.
Hin
I don't mean to hijack but you are a righteous dude for making that offer...and for those wonderful shots.
05-31-2009, 03:57 AM   #30
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The quick answer is fast and wide, i.e. the fastest you have plus the widest you have, if they are one and the same lens, even better.