Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Richie1978

Some specific questions about two lenses

Hello,

i need a new "Standard lens" for my K10D. I read a lot of tests and opinions (also in this forum) about my two favourites. But all opinions and tests left a few questions.

But first: What lenses are these? It's the Tamron 18-250 and a Sigma 17-70.

When I take a look at the photozone.de reviews it seems that in terms of resolution both lenses are pretty close together. So in sharpness the Sigma might be a little bit sharper but it seems to be not that big difference. Did I get that right?

But in two other terms the Sigma seems to be really better: Vignetting and distortion. But my problem is: I don't really know when I'm having a look at the "numbers" how big the difference would be noticeable in real world pictures?

I don't have the money to afford primes or a lot of different lenses, so the lens I Buy know should be the lens I'm taking 95% of my pictures. Right now most of my pictures are taken on trips to the US. About 75% Landscapes and 25% cities.

I'm doing a lot of the pictures at the wide end. (Last vacation: 60% at 18mm).

I'm one of those that don' t really like lens-swapping - but terms of IQ are also important to me.

Thank you
Richie

05-21-2009, 04:08 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never had any of those two questioned, but if I had to choose it would be sigma (or have a look at Petnax 17-70).
That specific Sigma lens has very good reputation among Pentax folk. Many appreciate the close focus ability and although it goes from f2.8 very shortly after you zoom fom 17 it still faster then Tamron 18-250 at ANY given focal length. If you shoot a lot at the wide end, you will appreciate that extra 1mm and you won't miss 70-250. If you will you will still be better of getting something like Pentax 55-300 or Tamron 70-300.
Anyway, to put long story short:
Sigma 17-70 seems to be popular upgrade choice, with very good IQ.

BR
Peter
05-21-2009, 06:01 AM   #3
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I always thoguht the 17-70 should be a good allround lens because of the range and the sdm for sdm enabled bodies but reports seem to be that its not perfect optically. I dont like sigma altho people who own the 17-70 sigma norally give it high remarks
05-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Between those two, I'd definitely go with the Sigma. The sigma also has close focusing (macro) capabilities and opens up to f/2.8 on the wide end which could open up some possibilities for low light cityscapes.

When a lens gets into the "superzoom" category like the Tamron, you're not going to get the IQ you do from one that doesn't try to do so much!

05-21-2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I always thoguht the 17-70 should be a good allround lens because of the range and the sdm for sdm enabled bodies but reports seem to be that its not perfect optically. I dont like sigma altho people who own the 17-70 sigma norally give it high remarks
I read on the sigma site that the 17-70 has HSM for Nikon only.
05-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have no experience with the Sigma 17-70 so I can't give you any comparative info. But I did put together a small album of "real world" photos made using the DA18-250 (same lens as the Tam18-250 rebadged with Pentax SMC coatings): SMC PENTAX-DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF]

It served me very well for the time I had it. I reluctantly let mine go early this year to free up some cash and fund studio equipment.
05-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
Richie1978

So Thank you for your opinions. So it really seems that the Tamron is a very good lens. But the IQ of the Sigma is really visible better?