Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question on older (manual focus) Pentax lenses

I came over to the Pentax fold from the Canon (film) camp (except for a Spotmatic years ago), and was wondering, what is the significance of the round white (or yellow) plastic "nub" on the lens barrel of the older Pentax Lenses?

05-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #2

I believe it let you grab the lens easier when you mount it.

Nikon used to have a silver ring on its AI-S lens that serve the same purpose.
05-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
I came over to the Pentax fold from the Canon (film) camp (except for a Spotmatic years ago), and was wondering, what is the significance of the round white (or yellow) plastic "nub" on the lens barrel of the older Pentax Lenses?
If you line the nub up with the lens release, the lens is in position to be attached to the camera. This is actually something I miss. I could attach a lens without looking.
05-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If you line the nub up with the lens release, the lens is in position to be attached to the camera. This is actually something I miss. I could attach a lens without looking.
Note this is actually past tense. Pentax, for some some reason, chose to move the position of the lens release with the DSLRs, so lining up the nub with the release button no longer works.
I find it to be a bigger annoyance than I thought I would, simply becasue for years I never looked at the camera when I was changing lenses, and now when I'm changing lenses in the stdio I have to walk onto the set to see what I'm doing.

Bad Pentax on this one.

05-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Cool. Thanks! Mystery solved.