Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting lens comparison from an Oly shooter

Link.

The K-7 seems to be waging it's own little campaign in the fevered minds of Oly shooters. Now they're considering the lens lines.

05-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks Jay, this again confirms my original research on Pentax vs the competition a little over a year ago: Pentax offers a great package for an excellent price. I felt it was the best package for what I wanted.
05-22-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Link.

The K-7 seems to be waging it's own little campaign in the fevered minds of Oly shooters. Now they're considering the lens lines.
What I learned from that thread:

1. Olympus has some awesome zoom lenses (I already knew this, but they went into greater detail)

2. Never, ever, ever criticize a Zuiko lens on an Olympus forum unless you want to start a massive flame war. I mean, man, a lot of people here and on DPreview have started similar threads asking Pentax to make an equivalent to Nikon's 35 f/1.8 as an alternative to the much more expensive FA31 limited and I've never seen people get so defensive like that. Not that this forum doesn't have its fair share of fan boys.

Really, I like Olympus as a brand and along with Nikon I'd consider them a strong alternative if Pentax were to cease to exist -- by the way, remember when that thread was still going on here? I hope both Olympus and Pentax do well this year and can stay in the game.
05-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Funny and somewhat annoying thread, but yes... very interesting.

05-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Olympus had some clear feature advantages a few years ago, a package unavailable elsewhere. Pentax now has those features plus a lot of great primes. That's before considering the sensor size difference, a big factor. Those f2 zooms only partly make up for that sensor.
05-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Interesting debate going on over there. But I thing they are a bit "fan boys".
Anyway, they can keep their f2 zooms. Advantages of 4/3 system should have been compactness, well not with those two. And you still have to pay 2k for it to let it break your arm. Great...
As some guys wrot if Pentax makes equivalent of .... I'd have a closer look at K-7.
The same way I can say if Oly makes equivalent of 31ltd or several other outstanding primes I'd have closer look at their E30 or E630... until then, NO THANK YOU
05-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This thread and the Sony thread just prove to me that every brand will have their fanboys and doomsayers. Then there are going to be the sensible ones that say their piece but get drowned out by the other two camps. It seems to me that DPReview tends to attract the two extremes to their forums whereas the more sensible shooters seem to congregate together in other discussion forums like us.
05-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Wow, I know I'm a bit of a fanboy myself, but please, if I ever get as bad as that ripley guy, please kick me hard. Poor OP, allthough I'm sometimes annoyed on the people who overempesize the importance of lenses that mimics the FF 24-70/2.8 and 70-210/2.8, I believe he asked relevant questions, and that he did explain many times that he did not question the quality of these very expensive Oly f2 zooms. His pint was just that Oly lacked a compromise alternative, which Pentax and Canikon have. It is probably true that many pro's and higher end amateurs priorities that sort of lens combo, either due to a limited budget (all pro's does not make great amount of moneys) or because they can't cary more or bigger lenses everywhere.

Had I been a newcommer to photo who had not passed through many lens systes, over they years: Pentax, Konica, Nikon and Hasselblad, I might have got worried that Oly was really that supperior to Pentax lenses, but even then, I would have reacted to the guy who claimed that his Oly zooms were "miles better" than his Zeiss primes (wondering then if he kept the Zeiss only for bragging rights?). I don't believe that for a moment, although it would put Pentax in good company

Did you notice our Marc Languille was involved? Though he was much better mannered than the average participants and really polite when he asked if these Oly lenses were really that superior after his own Pentax lenses had been called "average performers".

mmh...and I'm fealing that the DA*16-50 is a bit heavy for my taste, the only complain I have so far...

If Oly really had a set of pancakes as Pentax does, their compact bodies could have got my attention. But they don't. And now the K-7 looks like the smallish high quality Pentax body I've been dreaming about (though it could still be thinner, but only if they dropped the lcd screen on the back, which they will never), and Pentax have these limiteds. So I get the feeling that 4/3rd manufacturers may actually come to loose some market share to Pentax here. Maybe a better chance to take that marketshare than to take it from Canikon (after all, this is people who already have been prepared to look beyond the two mayor brands).

05-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

At least the last post/er I read has his some sense about him

QuoteQuote:
It's quite clear that the vast majority of you have no idea what your talking about and only assume one product is better than the other based only on third party accounts that differ from one reviewer to the other.

Everybody has their good and their bad. Get over it. Olympus makes fantastic optics, but they are not the best. Nobody is. Again, all makers have winners and losers.

I have tested the best of the best from all major brands and can honestly say that most of you could never tell the difference in print. Remember that photography is more than sicking your face two inches from your monitor and looking at images at 200%.
05-23-2009, 07:46 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Here here!
05-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #11

If value never enters your brand selection analysis as a key factor you're bound to look at MTF charts and nothing else. That's a perfectly valid way of decision making, but it certainly seems to attract a particular sort of perfectionist user-base.

For the kind of money those Super High Grade lenses run though I would want a sensor that could handle more of that monster resolution. Also, If F2 is your solution for handling marginally low light, well, you've just "compromised" DOF control.
05-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Points to remember and reiterate:

* No one or two or three lensmakers make the best lenses of all sorts, for all formats. (I haven't seen any Canikonympus MF lenses lately.)
* Some lensmakers spend vast amounts making exotic lenses for a *few* specialty customers. (Who all really needs, or can carry, a FF 750/1.8?)
* The "highest quality" lenses are handmade for intelligence agencies, with national budgets available to pay for them. (NSA gets the best stuff.)
* Market acceptance and popularity reflect marketing levels more than quality levels. (Are McBurgers *really* the best sandwiches available?)
* Any lensmaker may produce bad designs. Any consumer-lens production line is going to have bad days. Everybody screws up eventually.
* Super-duper exotic lenses/cams serve as marketing tools to persuade consumers that if they buy some crud from XXX, they can be pros too.
* Very few camera users, at any level, will come close to getting the most capability from the gear they buy. (Survival is not guaranteed.)
* Sometimes you don't WANT to have the 'best' gear. In a messy situation, you should use cheap disposables that you won't hesitate abandoning.
* Good photos are make by good photographers, not good gear. Some of the most famous photos were shot with what would now be called junk.
* A better hammer does not make a better carpenter. A better pen does not make a better writer. It's a poor crafter who blames their tools.

I'm really amused by fanboi threads, which reveal a lot about marketing and psychology (and psychopathology). The emotional arguments over perceived differences, sometimes with establishing data, more usually unsupported. The brand loyalty. The ad hominems. I recall an observation by Woodrow Wilson (president of Princeton U before being Pres of the USA) that academic disputes are so vicious and acrimonious because the stakes are so low. Then I see magazines filled with images shot with costly name-brand gear - and then I see pics like this, shot with a cheap crap lens. And I just laugh

Last edited by RioRico; 05-26-2009 at 04:38 AM.
05-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Inactive Account

^ Great post!

c[_]