05-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FOLLOW UP.

Adapter.
Buy this and you will be in business:

GSO 1.25" Fixed Eyepiece Projection Camera Adapter
T-Ring for Pentax K Camera

38 bucks total including all shipping and tax.

Yes you do need 50 to 60 mm of extension to come to proper focus. This is typical of all astro scopes to make up for the missing focal length of the diagonal. The focal point is outside the physical body of the scope by about this much. It's no big deal to compensate for this.

This is similar to flange focal distance (FFD) or registration in a camera mount. The difference is that all this stuff is generic in the astro world so it's cheap and available.

Scope:
She got this last year so I don't know anything about availability now. I leave that up to you. I'm pretty sure there are many other brands like Tasco that make similar gear. Something like this:

49070800 Tasco 70mm Refractor AZ Spacestation Telescope with Red Dot Starpointer Finderscope

Personal recommendations -

1. Refractor not a reflector. Assuming you are going to use this for conventional terrestrial subjects out in the field.

2. If you do want to try using an inexpensive astro scope for photography get something like this this:

Orion 100mm f/6.0 Refractor Telescope Optical Tube - Telescope.com

Much better both mechanically and optically and well worth the extra 100 bucks. Spend the money up front and save yourself a lot of grief.

Wildman

PS - see what I can do about other pictures later - I'll have to go into the recycle bin to see what's there.