Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 08:07 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rpriedhorsky Quote
The 18-250 has great image quality. The key drawbacks are: (1) slow, (2) distortion (correctable in software), (3) vignetting, and (4) quality control problems I mentioned above.

Not switching lenses is a huge time saver that enables you to take the camera to places and events you simply couldn't otherwise. For me, it's hiking; I want to keep moving, and others on the trip won't have the patience to wait for me to muck with lenses and such.
Hi all
Good points from rpriedhorsky

I have a good/great Pentax gear but I bought DA 18-250 a little ago for some holidays with the family. Best choice I could make.

It was "two in one" choice:

- First because I could take time REAL for the family and on the other hand I could make shoots I wouldn't have done if I had to change lens.

- Second because I do a lot of hiking/trekking/trail walks and friends don't want to wait...

Now, the main problems, (1) slow, (2) distortion (correctable in software) and (3) vignetting.
About (1) it's a day lens, but I already see a lot of great "night" shoots from this DA lens. I'm even trying to get the hang of it (2) distortion, as said, is correctable in software and also (3) vignetting is until some point correctable on software.
On my experience this lens doesn't seem to make CA shoots, but again, if another copy does, it's easy to correct on software.

So, to end, I must say this lens is very useful and to start, I agree with your idea. Grow into it and later with more knowledge you will make other quality choices.

Cheers.

Edit:

Well, I think bymy141 also explained so well the point. I also think it's worth the money.

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I don't think this shows a balanced view of this lens.
I've done a three week safari through Tanzania with only the Tamron 18-250mm mounted. Yes, it is not very fast, it suffers from vignetting and it shows more purple fringing than my 16-50mm.
But.... the vignetting and purple fringing is easily corrected in PP with Lightroom, AND, the advantages of this lens are:
- Light weigth,
- small package,
- cheap,
- very long range,
- no dust on you sensor due to frequent lens changes and
- you will not miss that shot because you had the wrong lens mounted.

It was definitely worth the money I paid for.

- Bert

Last edited by netuser; 05-25-2009 at 08:15 AM.
05-25-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For just starting out with a 50mm prime I think that the 18-250 would be an excellent choice for a second lens.
05-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies! much appreciated
05-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #19

Original Poster
Ok so now I'm in a bit of a dillema! I think I can get a new Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for about $370 canadian. The 18-250 is about 520.

The tamron retails here for like $650, so it's a steal of a deal. But then I have nothing over 50. Do I get both, and push the budget a bit? Or do I skip the 18-250, and get something else for the 50-xxx range? Or do I just stick with the 18-250 and skip on the good deal on the tammy lens?

05-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Depends on your needs...do you need anything longer than 50mm? The whole attraction of the super zooms is that they cover such a broad range. The idea of having one lens on our camera, eliminating lens changing and carry multiple lenses. Is the 17-50 your solution or just another choice...because there are many many MANY choices out there. What is best for you?

That being said, The Tamron 17-50/2.8 is a FANTASTIC lens..I am using it more and more lately and am finding it's speed and sharpness to be one of the best zooms I have ever had the pleasure to own.

Jason
05-26-2009, 10:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IronWolf Quote
Ok so now I'm in a bit of a dillema! I think I can get a new Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for about $370 canadian.
If I were you, I'd probably not let this opportunity pass. The 17-50/2.8 is great. I'd add a Pentax 55-300.
Still love the 18-250 for its versatility, but given the choice, I'd give the nod to the above pair.
06-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #22
Forum Member

The Pentax 18-250 was actually my first lens with the FA 50 1.4 my second. The Pentax K20D was my first SLR. Since then I have had the FA*24, FA 35, FA 77.

Honestly, I think the 18-250 gives really good image quality considering the range. It is super versatile and when you really don't know which lens to use, you can put it on. I know that when I put it on, I'll get very good but not excellent shots. And so it is a great lens to grow with.

Of course, the low light performance is not that great. For that, learn to use bounce/diffused flash. Or boost up your ISO and live with the noise.

After that you can begin to think about what you type of photography you really want to do. You can go Sigma 70-200 2.8. Or you can go 16-45. But you definitely should have a lens in your arsenal that will get just about anything.

As a second choice, I'd wait for the two WR lenses and get used to carrying them both around all the time. I have to say that the 18-250 has been a really reliable tourist lens for me.
06-10-2009, 08:34 AM   #23
Igilligan

This is the ticket

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
For a short time, I had the Tamron 18-250 and while it was a pretty decent lens, I really wasn't crazy about it's performance at the wide end--it had a tendency to vignette, so I got rid of it. To make a long LBA story short, I now have the Sigma 17-70 and the DA 55-300 and I'm happy with both, particularly for the type of shooting that I do, which is mostly outdoor. Once you figure out which focal lengths you like to shoot most, you'll find one or the other spending the most time on your camera, minimizing lens changes. At the same time, you'll have the other handy for whenever you need to shoot wider or longer.

On the subject of WR lenses, if Pentax would come out with WR versions of the DA17-70 and DA55-300, I'd be tickled.

HTH,
Heather

Heather is right on target...
I would recommend this combo to anyone wanting a good two lens solution. The Sigma or Tamron 17-70 (or even the pentax if you have the money) and the Pentax DA 55-300...

-edit- I just saw you 17-50 2.8 option.... get that if it is a good copy... the constant ap 2.8 is the worth it. My Tamron 28-75 2.8 is my most used zoom. The Constant ap is the way to go

06-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Heather is right on target...
I would recommend this combo to anyone wanting a good two lens solution. The Sigma or Tamron 17-70 (or even the pentax if you have the money) and the Pentax DA 55-300...

-edit- I just saw you 17-50 2.8 option.... get that if it is a good copy... the constant ap 2.8 is the worth it. My Tamron 28-75 2.8 is my most used zoom. The Constant ap is the way to go
I'd go for a constant 2.8, except that the current options available are either too short on the long end or too long on the short end. Since I do most of my shooting outdoors in decent light (or on a tripod in lower light), I don't absolutely have to have a constant 2.8 since I'm generally shooting at around f8-11, anyhow.

Even with that, if someone were to come out with a constant 2.8 in the FL range of 17-70 that wasn't outrageously priced, I'd be tempted.

One plus with the Sigma 17-70 is that I can get pretty close up at 70mm (1:2.3). With that feature and such a usable FL range, I can deal with variable aperture.

Just another 2...
Heather
06-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #25

I can confirm the pentax or tamron 18-250 is a very nice lens. For me I always have only the camera with me, with one lens on it. So i can only take one lens, it has to be for close and zoom range. I tried a lot of stuff, Ist ds, 18-55 , 28-200, 18-125 and now the tamron 18-250. It sticks to my K10d forever now

The only thing disappointing to me: the focus sound. I made a recording of it, 2 times full forward and back (with lens cover on the lens). I am wondering if the pentax version is also this loud/sharp/sandy???
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1236875/test2.wav

Maybe someone can make a record too...

Thx!
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #26
Site Supporter

From a slightly different point of view, I think of my DA 18-250 as a "specialty" lens for use only when even infrequent lens changes are problematical: when P&S versatility is required, under windy or dusty conditions or - for me - when I'm sailing and a lens change requires a third hand. If you anticipate that much of your photography will take place under similar types of circumstances, I believe the 18-250 is worth considering; if not, I think a two lens solution - as those noted above - will give you better optical performance and still a fair amount of convenience. However, my trusty 18-250 ain't too bad; here's a shot I posted in another thread that reflects its performance at mid range FL.

Jer

06-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by IronWolf Quote
My initial thoughts were to get the 18-250 to find what range I shoot the most, and then get a better lens for that range eventually. The 18-250 is also an awesome lens for just a single lens solution when hiking etc.
I have the Tamron and I use it all the time but my advice is get the Pentax.

Why?

The new Pentax K-7. It has some corrections for DA lenses so you probably get better results in the near future.

I don't think that the K-7 will recognise the Tamron as been the same as the Pentax.

Regards,
Luis
06-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
Even with that, if someone were to come out with a constant 2.8 in the FL range of 17-70 that wasn't outrageously priced, I'd be tempted.
At one point, I did some back-of-the-envelope calculations regarding how big such a lens would have to be. I think it pretty safe to say filter size would be pushing 100mm and weight would be in excess of 3 pounds.
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Add DxO and get the 18-250

DxO includes the DA 18-250 in its lens correction database. This solves the vignetting and distortion problems once you have worked around the Quality Control and gotten a good copy. The solution I chose (see my sig) is in a different direction, but that is my choice, and I have two film bodies to back things up with if I have to. I have a personal thing about non-Pentax glass and zooms with large ranges.

My $2 (inflation, you know) worth.