Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The worth of a lenses

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Bear with me fellow Pextaxians,but I would like to know what you personal pay for a SMC A* 300 mm f/4 .I know the average worth of one (As i compare on this site and KEH for a average worth).I ask this because I lose on a bid on evilbay(I actually put down a little more than the average price here)and lost

cheers

05-24-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I saw that one too and didn't bother going for it.
It's a great lens and recent sold on this forum for US$300 (but it wasn't in as good cosmetic shape as the one on freakbay).
05-25-2009, 01:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I thought the selling price was ridiculous($AU915-US$713),I mean don't ppl know roughly their worth or is it a must have accessory for some

cheers
05-25-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Average market price SMC Pentax A* 4/300

Hi Cupic,

those 915,- Aussie-$ convert to 510,-€ and that is below the average ebay-price over the last 3 years in
germany (incl. EU-buyers most of the time).

[IMGWIDEleft]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2126999171_24e77d0c57_o.jpg[/IMGWIDEleft]Source: Ossy's Pentax pages, thanks a lot!

Don't know whether that market price reflects the true value of that lens. Please note that the above-linked stats
are being maintained by Ossy for any Pentax lens being traded on the market throughout the last years,
incredible work and a great resource.

Best, Georg (the other)
PS: More on good manual 300's here, Any good long alt glass for good prices? - FM Forums

Last edited by georgweb; 05-25-2009 at 02:26 AM.
05-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ebay is a terrible place to judge prices. Prices there are governed by the number of potential buyers and their sanity. For every $100 item you see sell for $80, you'll see at least one sell for $200. There is no rhyme or reason to the bidding some people do.

My recommendation: determine what you are willing to spend and use a sniping service to place your bid. Several people rage against sniping, but it does two things: it keeps you getting caught up in the bidding and spending more than you wished, and: it keeps others from seeing your bid and getting caught up themselves and thus outbidding you.
05-25-2009, 09:11 AM   #6
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Ebay is a terrible place to judge prices. Prices there are governed by the number of potential buyers and their sanity.
Hmmm.. Isn't that the spirit of the free market? What buyers are willing to pay for a product defines its true value at the moment.
05-25-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Hmmm.. Isn't that the spirit of the free market? What buyers are willing to pay for a product defines its true value at the moment.
No. If a hundred people are willing to pay $10 for an item, that is market price. When one idiot with more money than brains pays $100 for the same item, that is insanity, not market price.

The worst part about it is sellers see that one sale and everyone raises their price to that unrealistic level. Then the rest of us have to wait until sanity is restored and prices fall to where they should be.

05-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

No. If a hundred people are willing to pay $10 for an item, that is market price. When one idiot with more money than brains pays $100 for the same item, that is insanity, not market price.

The worst part about it is sellers see that one sale and everyone raises their price to that unrealistic level. Then the rest of us have to wait until sanity is restored and prices fall to where they should be.
Exactly on all points. It happens to all sorts of items and the typical reason is a couple of newbies get caught up in beating each other. Last fall I saw a Pentax AF1.7TC go for $712 USD!!! when most of the time you could buy 2 for that price.

IMO this lens is only worth around $500 or so. I had one and sold it for an FA*300. AF and IMO a superior lens that now sells for $800 or so used. The A* suffers from some CA and PF on digital.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-25-2009 at 11:16 AM.
05-25-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Site Supporter

I seem to go up against a lot of insanity.
05-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I seem to go up against a lot of insanity.
Join the club. I've been watching MF cams for a few days. C'est incredible! Plastic Holgas going for US$90, a Hassy 500 body for only US$109! Bronica systems for just US$160, ancient folders for over US$100! Buy-It-Now prices thru the roof (but no takers). Maybe it's just this long weekend, too much beer, etc. Maybe it'll calm down in a few days. But over on the 35mm side, I haven't seen Russian lenses get any cheaper lately - they spiked a few months ago when the US dollar tanked, and haven't changed since. It's all pure market capitalism, with hysteresis (lag time).
05-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Beer oclock bidders do inflate Ebay prices. That A300mm I've seen usually go for the $300-$400 au price tag. Auctions ending Friday and Saturday nights seem to get the highest prices. I bought myself a CZ Pancolar with an old Praktica for 10 pounds finishing on a Monday when all the weekend ending auctions were fetching 35 pounds and upwards. Yep I go global now for satisfying my LBA instead of just the Oz auctions.
05-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Beer oclock bidders do inflate Ebay prices. That A300mm I've seen usually go for the $300-$400 au price tag. Auctions ending Friday and Saturday nights seem to get the highest prices. I bought myself a CZ Pancolar with an old Praktica for 10 pounds finishing on a Monday when all the weekend ending auctions were fetching 35 pounds and upwards. Yep I go global now for satisfying my LBA instead of just the Oz auctions.

Friends don't let friend drink and ebay.

Edit: Next Morning: I bought a what?
05-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Next Morning: I bought a what?
I'm feeling that way myself right now. So me mate serves me a glass of limoncello, and I take a nap, and wake up to this. Oh snap!
05-26-2009, 11:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm feeling that way myself right now. So me mate serves me a glass of limoncello, and I take a nap, and wake up to this. Oh snap!
How's the camera hanger over doing? Buy 2 lenses for it and call me in the morning.

Dr. Blue