Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Vivitar-A 19mm f3.8 Lens, Your Experience?

I just bought a Vivitar-MC 19mm f3.8 PK-A lens, and have read some reviews and sample pictures from the web. It clearly has mixed reviews, some say it is not very good, others really like it. It also appears that there may be multiple manufacturers for this lens.

It should arrive in a few days, and I also bought a wide-angle rubber lens shade for it.

Do you have one? How do you like it? Post some photographs taken with it if you would.

I plan to use it on my film and digital bodies, and would appreciate your comments and samples (from both). When mine arrives, I'll post samples here also.

-Joe-

05-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Found one in a local second hand camera shop today and bought it, will post picks when I upload some test pics to my website. Current opinion is it's a good bargain buy and not too bad a lens. For a cheapish price you should be happy with it. As to what makes a fair price that's your decision.
05-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Some sample pics taken walking home from the camera shop.

05-28-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
First Pictures

Xjjohnno,

Your pictures look good to me! What camera body did you use? Thanks for posting them.

In today's mail I received my Vivitar MC 19mm f3.8 PK-A/R lens, serial number 99122446. I removed the Ricoh pin, mounted it on my K100D Super, and took a few pictures. I really like this angle of view. I knew I would as a result of trying my kit lens at 18mm. However, I don't like zoom lenses, so I rarely use the kit lens. I like the build quality of this lens - very solid, fairly small (about the size of a 50mm or 28mm prime lens), smooth focus, and the aperture ring feels very nice (but it has the A setting, so I may not use the aperture ring much). I have not yet received the hood I ordered, but when it comes I expect that the contrast will improve some compared to without a hood.

There is one strange thing I noticed about it: The lowest I can go in Av mode, and the minimum f-stop indication in any mode, is f4.0, even though the lens is specified as f3.8. If anyone else can check that with your "A" version of this lens, please let me know what you find to be the minimum aperture.

I tried a few flash pictures, and it seems to expose perfectly with the in-body flash on the K100D Super. Exposure seems good outdoors, requiring no compensation.

Here are my first snapshots with it. Even pixel-peeping I don't see any problems - looks good to me! I'll try to put a review in the lens database this weekend after I take some more critical pictures. These pictures were taken in heavy overcast conditions, so the lighting is very subdued. I'll also need to test this with my K1000 body on film sometime.

-Joe-

My 1988 S-10 pickup truck - which died an ugly death (blew a head gasket) a few minutes after I took this picture this afternoon. I had it towed to the shop for "evaluation" a little while ago. This may be my last remembrance of old faithful!

Closeup of clover. I like the close-focus capability of this lens of about 20cm.

Closeup of a dandelion amongst the clover.

Shot along the brick wall in front of my house, f4.0. Focused on the bricks a couple of feet away.

05-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

K20D was the camera used.