Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any news on the Pentax teleconverter? (Sigma is dragging their heels)

(I'll try posting this here. as my last two posts in the "other" forum were basically ignored...guess I wasn't controversial enough to get a response!)

I've been anxiously awaiting news on a teleconverter that will work with my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM. I spoke to a Sigma rep at the Henry's photo show in Toronto this weekend who told me that there are no production plans for a Pentax mount teleconverter that would be compatible with HSM. (last week a Henry's staff member sent me an email stating one was being released in the late spring, which was FALSE!) The Sigma rep says that they are about to start production for a Sony mount TC but not for Pentax.

When I purchased the lens, I was told the current TC's would work. (the Sigma catalogue also stated the same) I was very disappointed to fine out that they in fact do not.

I explained to him how irrate I was, as I purchase this lens with the intent of using it for hockey in the winter as well as wildlife. I'm essentially losing out on 50% of what I intended to use the lens for. He just looked at me blankly and basically said "sorry about that". Apparently I am one of many with the same complaint, however Sigma is not in a rush to fix the problem.

There had been talk of Pentax releasing a TC that would be compatible with HSM lenses, has anyone heard a release date?

--
~Trina~
Ontario, Canada
WSSA #251 PX

05-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm delaying buying the Sigma 70-200 HSM until they do come up with a 1.4x. Haven't heard anything though.
05-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter

USE Pentax SMC F 1.7x Telle converter

I disappointed too w/ the the unavailability of Sigma HSM Telle converter for Pentax mount. I plunged to buy the Sigma for its HSM after the schedule of Pentax DA 60-250 is not clear at that time.

If I got information from Sigma earlier, I might go for Tamron. Although my disappointment is not as deep as the others, because I have Pentax SMC F 1.7x with can retain its AF (screw driver) and the IQ come out is excellent.
05-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am also waiting for the TC to fit my 70-200 HSM.

Can someone explains why Adorama claims to have a Sigma TC that works with HSM?

824109 Sigma 1.4x EX DG APO Tele-Converter for Pentax AF Cameras

05-26-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Coz they're dumb?