Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Would I be crazy to sell my DA* 50-135 for a FA 77mm ?

Its the first really good zoom that I purchased. Love the lens, captured some really great shots with it. The range is great. The speed is good. No problems at all with it.

Just sometimes I throw on my FA 50mm and just love it. Might be thinking that I'm a Prime guy. Maybe let my feet do the zooming. Size of the DA* 50-135 sometimes can be hard to hide, especially with the hood. I always have the grip on the k10 as well.

Picture quality is really good. Only until you really get close can I see a benefit from a prime.

I'm just having a hard time making a decision on this one. I love the DA* 50-135. Looks really professional as well. Get a lot of comments like "really nice camera" mostly from people who have no idea about them. But it looks the part. I think I'd rather not look the part and be totally blown away with the quality of the image.

Anyone else think I'm just crazy? If I get the 77mm it would leave me with the 18-55, FA 50, and the 77mm. Which is one of the best selling points of the DA*50-135 again, the range.

Any other people here had the DA*50-135 and trade it for a FA 77?

Thanks in advance for your input,
Fred

05-25-2009, 04:21 PM   #2

I don't have either, but

How often do you shoot at the long end of the zoom?
05-25-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
How often do you shoot at the long end of the zoom?
My son plays Baseball, so it occasionally get used beyond the 77mm range.

I think sometimes it just misses the target on the focus. Done the Russian Debug and focus test. Made a small adjustment.

Feel as though when I have the FA 50 f1.4 on the k10d it rarely misses focus. I have two little ones that i'm always chasing around. Done a couple of photo shoots for others.

AS well as I sometimes just get caught up on the sharpness of the picture. Looking closely at the final result it usually doesn't look as sharp as my FA 50mm 1.4. Is this not the norm on this one?

Thanks
Fred
05-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, if you make this decision based on how the lens looks on you, you are crazy ;~) Otherwise it's a reasonable question.

It really depends on what you want/need to photograph. I have a 77mm and tend to worship it--the IQ is so good and it's so easy to carry and shoot but I gather the 50-135mm is also very good and much more versatile.

05-25-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
Damn Brit

The advantage of the 50-135 is that it is as sharp as many primes. You also have to think about the convenience factor of a zoom. There are sometimes that you go out and you're just not sure what you are going to be shooting. These occasions are when a zoom comes into it's own.
What's the chances of you keeping the 50-135 and saving up for the 77?
05-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Forum Member

I have both lenses, and would really hate to give up either one. The 77 is just amazing when it's in its element. It does take a while to get used to its little quirks. When you get one of those pictures that just makes your jaw drop from it, it all seems worth it. On the other hand, it doesn't do everything well. I kind of doubt that it will suit your needs for the ball games and similar circumstances. For portraits and contrasty/colorful nature scenes, nothing beats the 77. For me, though, the 50-135 is the go to lens. It is almost indestinquishable from the 77 on most shots. It is, by far, the sharpest zoom that I have ever used. I think part of your sharpness problem could be from using the longer focal lengths. You 50mm will be sharper from most handheld shots becuase 50mm is as long as it gets, and it is a faster lens to start with. From a tripod, and both lenses at f:2.8, I couldn't tell that the FA 50 was any sharper. For me, the 50-135 just offers better day to day flexibility, and still has far better than average IQ. The 77 just has something extra on certain shots.
05-25-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The advantage of the 50-135 is that it is as sharp as many primes. You also have to think about the convenience factor of a zoom. There are sometimes that you go out and you're just not sure what you are going to be shooting. These occasions are when a zoom comes into it's own.
What's the chances of you keeping the 50-135 and saving up for the 77?
Gary, not possible to have both anytime soon unfortunately.

I do love the versatilty of the DA* 50-135.

Fred
05-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Presto Quote
I have both lenses, and would really hate to give up either one. The 77 is just amazing when it's in its element. It does take a while to get used to its little quirks. When you get one of those pictures that just makes your jaw drop from it, it all seems worth it. On the other hand, it doesn't do everything well. I kind of doubt that it will suit your needs for the ball games and similar circumstances. For portraits and contrasty/colorful nature scenes, nothing beats the 77. For me, though, the 50-135 is the go to lens. It is almost indestinquishable from the 77 on most shots. It is, by far, the sharpest zoom that I have ever used. I think part of your sharpness problem could be from using the longer focal lengths. You 50mm will be sharper from most handheld shots becuase 50mm is as long as it gets, and it is a faster lens to start with. From a tripod, and both lenses at f:2.8, I couldn't tell that the FA 50 was any sharper. For me, the 50-135 just offers better day to day flexibility, and still has far better than average IQ. The 77 just has something extra on certain shots.
I definately think the DA* 50-135 is my go to lens as well. Sharpest zoom i've ever owned as well (had a Vivitar 70-200 f3.5 that was sharp too). I mostly shoot portraits.

I think that exploring more of the pro and cons here might just justify me keeping the DA*50-135!

Thanks
Fred

05-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Ball games and little ones? 50-135 is the way to go.
05-25-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The 77 is a fabulous lens, but it's one of those lenses that you save up for so that you can enjoy some contrast, colour and dof pop during a session.

I'd keep your 50-135mm (which I don't own) and save up for the 77.

If that doesn't ease the LBA then perhaps you can rent/borrow a 77 for a few days and see if you like it and enjoy it's length.

Just some thoughts for you...

c[_]
05-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have both

keep the DA 50-135, you will use it more if you are like me

I love the FA77 but it is pulled out of the bag less and its for certain occasions where that length will be well suited for the shoot.

I could not do away with the DA 50-135

rent or save and buy

Neil
05-25-2009, 07:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I have both as well, and agree with Neil. I take 50-135 out if it is for event where you don't know if you can get close to the subject or not, and to camping too since it is weatherproof

77 ltd for planned outting, or just have fun taking pic in town, small lens draw less attention

*P.S. sell ur 50, get a 35 f2. u will be cured LBA for 43 ltd and 31ltd with one shot :P
05-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think it wouldn't be *crazy,* certainly. I'd probably do it just cause I'd want that lens for film like no one's business, but the 50-135 would be hard to part with.

Have you considered if you'd be willing to use a lesser tele-zoom or old prime for the sports if you did go for that trade?
05-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
I have both as well, and agree with Neil. I take 50-135 out if it is for event where you don't know if you can get close to the subject or not, and to camping too since it is weatherproof

77 ltd for planned outting, or just have fun taking pic in town, small lens draw less attention

*P.S. sell ur 50, get a 35 f2. u will be cured LBA for 43 ltd and 31ltd with one shot :P
Now thats a thought! A lot of time I could use something wider than the 50. I rarely shoot wide angle, but 35mm would be great.
05-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I think it wouldn't be *crazy,* certainly. I'd probably do it just cause I'd want that lens for film like no one's business, but the 50-135 would be hard to part with.

Have you considered if you'd be willing to use a lesser tele-zoom or old prime for the sports if you did go for that trade?
I used to have the Kiron / Vivitar 70-200mm f3.5, with the focus trap technique it worked great. Then the Pentax 50-200 with is probably the most suprising inexpensive lens i've owned. So if I did go with the FA 77 then I would probably pick up another 50-200.

Fred