05-26-2009, 09:45 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Lowell,
...... But some people (like me)
buy bodies to shoot certain lenses. I think a lot of people who aleady own
Canon, Nikon, Oly, etc wil but the K-7 as a seperate system and just dedicate one or two primes to it.
For the sake of pentax as a company, it would be nice if that was a big portion of the market, but I don't think so.

WHile I understand there may be technical reasons for owning specific bodies for certain lenses i.e. keeping/buying an *istD because it supports TTL flash and you can use TTL flash on K and M42 mount lenses, I somehow don't see this being a trend going forward.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to understand people putting out for a K-7 and 1 or 2 high end primes, when the rest of their kit is canikon.

Not to offend anyone who for example has a 77 limited, and believes it to be the best in the workd at that (approximate focal length) but I can't see a canikon shooter having just that one pentax lens plus a body, they will stay in the family.

05-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
For the sake of pentax as a company, it would be nice if that was a big portion of the market, but I don't think so.

WHile I understand there may be technical reasons for owning specific bodies for certain lenses i.e. keeping/buying an *istD because it supports TTL flash and you can use TTL flash on K and M42 mount lenses, I somehow don't see this being a trend going forward.

Maybe it's just me, but I find it hard to understand people putting out for a K-7 and 1 or 2 high end primes, when the rest of their kit is canikon.

Not to offend anyone who for example has a 77 limited, and believes it to be the best in the workd at that (approximate focal length) but I can't see a canikon shooter having just that one pentax lens plus a body, they will stay in the family.
I think Jay was engaging in a little wordplay (a little alliteration?) by suggesting "K" lenses belong on the "K-7."

Like say the K-7 + the 77.

Of course, we're already shooting with "K"20's, so maybe not... I'll do a search to see if he posted something about a K20/4 on the K20D when it first came out...
05-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
I think Jay was engaging in a little wordplay (a little alliteration?) by suggesting "K" lenses belong on the "K-7."

Like say the K-7 + the 77.

Of course, we're already shooting with "K"20's, so maybe not... I'll do a search to see if he posted something about a K20/4 on the K20D when it first came out...

Sort of, the K line just struck me as lenses I'd like to shoot on the K-7.
They go together well in my head, and not just because of the name.

Although I don't think there will be a lot of CaNikonians buying the K-7 +
some primes as a second system. I think there will be a lot more doing so than
ever before now - more so than when the K20D came out.

I think most film shooters kinda know what I mean when I talk about a lens
'feeling right' on a camera - Taks on a Spotmatic, etc. I just think the K's
have a very 'limited' feel/look to them and have the quality that would make
a good marriage with the K-7.

Of course, the DA limiteds may be the K-7's soul mates. I can just see myself
collecting those after buying the K... Better hide the plastic for 8 months and
avoid reviews, I guess.

Here's some DA 35ltd "stress-testing":

Last edited by jsherman999; 05-26-2009 at 11:21 AM.
05-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Pentaxian

That'll be a little difficult to say until we can actually save shots on a memory card!

I was with Steinback at the show and we did have fun trying the different lenses on, but once you'd take a pic you'd have a 1-second review (hey--never thought if I could have made it longer in the menus--d'oh!) and then it would say "no card in camera" and the shot would be gone.
Yeah, you and Vizjerei took off before we (just I?) were shown the "trick" to getting the images to stay up on the viewfinder for further examination. Same as the other K-bodies: zoom in with the rear dial.

To be fair, I think this only worked with the "better firmware" K-7 (had a colored sticker on it). I got to see some high-ISO detail before "some other customers want to see the camera."

Oh, and the AF.C switch turned *off* the autofocus on that stickered model...

[edit] Almsot forgot to add. The K-7 should totally come with the DA40 and DA70 as "kit" lenses. Sure they aren't weather-sealed, but they fit the gestalt of a small, purposeful, metal camera. Leica-like, almost.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-26-2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added my lens opinion
05-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ah, I follow you.

I've picked up a few things lately, but instead of my usual subsequent purge I'm sort of holding on to everything I have until I try it on the K-7.

Really, though, I am excited about the K-7 / 77 combo!
05-26-2009, 01:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Something about the K-7's narrow build makes me think it was built with the DA Limiteds in mind, which would also work well with the FA Limiteds and the smaller FA primes. However, I can see what Jsherman is saying about the charming older glass in the Pentax library, especially when it comes to video. I am secretly hoping that someone with a huge Pentax-A series collection (Douglas of Sweden I choose you!) can do a video with some of the more exotic varieties.

That raises another question: What lens do you think would be most exciting when used for video, even if the video isn't that practical? I'll nominate the A* 200 mm f/4 Macro. Show me some moving insects, guys!
05-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Yeah, you and Vizjerei took off before we (just I?) were shown the "trick" to getting the images to stay up on the viewfinder for further examination. Same as the other K-bodies: zoom in with the rear dial.

To be fair, I think this only worked with the "better firmware" K-7 (had a colored sticker on it). I got to see some high-ISO detail before "some other customers want to see the camera."

Oh, and the AF.C switch turned *off* the autofocus on that stickered model...

[edit] Almsot forgot to add. The K-7 should totally come with the DA40 and DA70 as "kit" lenses. Sure they aren't weather-sealed, but they fit the gestalt of a small, purposeful, metal camera. Leica-like, almost.
Ha, I didn't actually "take off"--the preorder just took longer than I expected. Came back later, but didn't see anybody. I didn't want to monopolize the K-7 any longer though, so just kept moving.

I think they need a WR pancake! With a big focusing ring and a nice long throw.

05-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I would so build up my DALTD stable just to be used on the K-7 and hope that PENTAX's true replacement for the K20D is a really rugged outdoors/sports camera for the DA* line-up.
05-27-2009, 09:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Ha, I didn't actually "take off"--the preorder just took longer than I expected. Came back later, but didn't see anybody.
You... you... Preorderer!

I think they need a WR pancake! With a big focusing ring and a nice long throw.
Heck yeah! Call it a DA* + Limited! Tack on full-frame coverage and it could be the longest name for a prime Pentax has ever come up with! ("Pentax SMC DA*35mm WR Limited Pancake SDM Optimus Prime")