Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What lenses 'belong' on the K-7?

What lenses (or single lens) do you feel 'belongs' on the K-7 - what lens has the
pedigree and understated class to do the new Pentax flagship justice?

I know that the DA limited's come to mind, but lately I've been feeling like another
line deserves to be on that body: The K's!

They are the takumars reborn in K-mount, with newer coatings, but retaining most
of the Takumar feel. I just think they 'fit' on the new K-7 very nicely.

Here's my one remaining K - the K 35 f/3.5. I love using this lens as a walkabout,
it hits hyperfocal at f/8 and about 17 feet, but I like to shoot it at all distances,
usually wide open in Av mode.

The shots below are not any great shakes, just meant to show the color
rendering and sharpness of this wonderful K...

Crop:

Crop:

Last edited by jsherman999; 05-25-2009 at 10:25 PM.
05-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Crop:

Last edited by jsherman999; 05-25-2009 at 10:26 PM.
05-25-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Very nice
05-26-2009, 01:12 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@jsherman999: Lovely pictures. Did you shoot them in RAW? If yes, what steps are taken to put them in jpg. I have takumar 28/3.5 and wondering how much I can achieve them. Colors are fabulous with your pictures.

05-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Judging by our Toronto mini meet on the weekend it looks like the K-7 runs alright with anything you can get onto the mount. We had my Super Takumar, an old Vivitar, some Russian glass, a Nikon lens, most of the DA* lenses and both FA and DA limiteds on the demo body at one point or another. In other words, a decent cross section of the lenses that the characters on this forum choose to run on their respective bodies for one reason or another. The only thing missing was a card in the camera or the ability to hold shots in the buffer for longer than the preview period.
05-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Very nice

Thanks Diego!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
@jsherman999: Lovely pictures. Did you shoot them in RAW? If yes, what steps are taken to put them in jpg. I have takumar 28/3.5 and wondering how much I can achieve them. Colors are fabulous with your pictures.
No, I almost always just shoot jpeg in good lighting like that - K20D, 'bright' setting,
+2 fine sharpness (fine, not regular,) and I think +1 contrast. Afterwards in picasa
I'll maybe adjust sharpness and contrast up a notch, maybe 30-40% of the time,
otherwise I leave the jpegs alone.

Really looking forward to seeing the K-7 jpeg output.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Judging by our Toronto mini meet on the weekend it looks like the K-7 runs alright with anything you can get onto the mount. We had my Super Takumar, an old Vivitar, some Russian glass, a Nikon lens, most of the DA* lenses and both FA and DA limiteds on the demo body at one point or another. In other words, a decent cross section of the lenses that the characters on this forum choose to run on their respective bodies for one reason or another. The only thing missing was a card in the camera or the ability to hold shots in the buffer for longer than the preview period.

Wow! That would really drive me crazy not to be able to save any shots...
But I bet that gorgeous new LCD really shows the detail nicely.

By the way, on the first shot - the upper left seems a little bit washed out? I
happened to be shooting basically right into the sun with no hood. I
think the K 35 handled that pretty well.

The 2nd-to last flower-on-gate shot was from last summer.

Last edited by jsherman999; 05-26-2009 at 06:27 AM.
05-26-2009, 06:24 AM   #7

DA35 ltd looks amazing on K-7

HI,

I saw a picture of the K-7 with the DA35 ltd attached and it looks really good. Plus, considering its size and overall capacities, it would be a perfect match for the K-7, at least if your are looking for a great walkabout combo.

Regards,

05-26-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

FA77 Ltd

I can't wait to put my FA77 on the K-7.

But I have a feeling the smaller body size will go perfectly with all three of my fast primes: FA35/2, F50/1.7, and the aforemention FA77/1.8.

I also believe a K-7 + DA40 would make an awesome street-shooting combo.
05-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Are you saying that the exposure issues most of us have with non-A contact glass have been resolved on the K-7?

Steve
05-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why does a lens have to "belong" to any camera??

As far as I am concerned, ANY lens, with correct adaptors for the mount, belongs on the camera.
05-26-2009, 07:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you saying that the exposure issues most of us have with non-A contact glass have been resolved on the K-7?

Steve
That'll be a little difficult to say until we can actually save shots on a memory card!

I was with Steinback at the show and we did have fun trying the different lenses on, but once you'd take a pic you'd have a 1-second review (hey--never thought if I could have made it longer in the menus--d'oh!) and then it would say "no card in camera" and the shot would be gone.
05-26-2009, 08:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Though I've both the DA* zooms, and several primes, I reckon my Viv 28 CF will be my main lens on the K-7 (if and when, more on when )
05-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

40mm pancake lens.
05-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #14

FA 43

Because it was the first limited (metal) and the K-7 ist the first non-plastic DSLR from Pentax.
05-26-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Why does a lens have to "belong" to any camera??

As far as I am concerned, ANY lens, with correct adaptors for the mount, belongs on the camera.
Lowell,

It's more of a 'feel's right' thing, kinda in the spirit of Ned B's pronouncement about
the K-7 last month in which that George Harrison-fondling-pentax poster was seen.

Of course any lens would work strictly speaking... But some people (like me)
buy bodies to shoot certain lenses. I think a lot of people who aleady own
Canon, Nikon, Oly, etc wil but the K-7 as a seperate system and just dedicate one or two primes to it.

Then, of course, when they find out how much more fun they're having with
the K-7 + limited (or K,) they may put they other system up for sale!