Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Budget Macro stuff...

Most of you know this already....I think.

I have a Several Macro lenses..but I decided to try something a little different this time...

This is a cool little cheap trick to get some Macro shots..
It works great for flowers, objects, etc...
It's the same principle as an extension tube. I know Tele's can be had for much less than tubes...and like I said it's if you happen to have a tele converter you don't use...and it's a good way to put it to good use.

It greatly reduces the minimum focusing distance by taking the rear of the lens farther away from the sensor/negative.

You will need

1. A Teleconverter (one you don't give a shit about )

2. A lens!

Then you need to take out the magnification glass from the TC.

Connect it to a lens

Connect to camera and shoot!

Examples of the new minimum focusing distance and the sample:

I converted it to BW.

This is without the TC and the minimum focusing distance without TC modification.

Sample from standard lens without modified TC

If you happen to have a Macro lens this might not be to useful...or you could just make your current Macro have less of a MFD.

Lens used was a Sears M42 SCREW mount 28mm F 2.8 The lens is about 30 years old and the TC used is an OLD Vivitar 2x-1 also M42 Mount. I used an K mount adapter to mount on to my K20d.

This will work for any camera..

Oh... CAST:

Pentax *istDS2 taking pics of K20d

K20d doing the actual Macro heavy work

K10d being lazy.

05-26-2009, 09:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxperson Quote
Most of you know this already....I think.

I have a Several Macro lenses..but I decided to try something a little different this time...

This is a cool little cheap trick to get some Macro shots..
It works great for flowers, objects, etc...
It's the same principle as an extension tube. I know Tele's can be had for much less than tubes...and like I said it's if you happen to have a tele converter you don't use...and it's a good way to put it to good use.

It greatly reduces the minimum focusing distance by taking the rear of the lens farther away from the sensor/negative.

You will need

1. A Teleconverter (one you don't give a shit about )

2. A lens!

Then you need to take out the magnification glass from the TC.

Connect it to a lens

Connect to camera and shoot!

Examples of the new minimum focusing distance and the sample:

I converted it to BW.

This is without the TC and the minimum focusing distance without TC modification.

Sample from standard lens without modified TC

If you happen to have a Macro lens this might not be to useful...or you could just make your current Macro have less of a MFD.

Lens used was a Sears M42 SCREW mount 28mm F 2.8 The lens is about 30 years old and the TC used is an OLD Vivitar 2x-1 also M42 Mount. I used an K mount adapter to mount on to my K20d.

This will work for any camera..

Oh... CAST:

Pentax *istDS2 taking pics of K20d

K20d doing the actual Macro heavy work

K10d being lazy.
So in basically, thre farther the lens is from the sensor the greater the macro capability?
05-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
So in basically, thre farther the lens is from the sensor the greater the macro capability?
Yes. Moving the lens further out allows it to focus more closely, which increases magnification. That's the whole idea of extension tubes.
05-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes. Moving the lens further out allows it to focus more closely, which increases magnification. That's the whole idea of extension tubes.
Ok. That being said, my Raynox should be here any day now.

How close were you able to focus with your SMC 135 f/3.5?

05-26-2009, 11:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

so are exstension tubes a better way than magnification filters ?
05-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simons-photography Quote
so are exstension tubes a better way than magnification filters ?
Extension tubes don't introduce any more layers of glass between lens and subject. Mag 'filters' are really diopter lenses, ie two more glass surfaces to distort, refract, and reflect light. Raynox magnifiers are pretty handy and non-distorting, and don't cut down the available light. Tubes always exact a penalty - less light reaches the lens. So there's a trade-off: tubes or bellows or any other extension provides less light, thus longer exposures, thus more need for tripod. Vs magnifiers don't cut down the light, but can degrade the image more or less. These are just optical facts and can't be bypassed.

The other cheap macro trick is to get a reversal ring - most prime lenses are pretty sharp when reversed, and will only macro-focus. You'd have: CAMERA--REV.RING--REV.LENS--SUBJECT. But then you lose all auto aperture control and must try to focus while stopped down in order to get any DOF. Yet another trick is to add a reversed secondary prime to your main prime, via a step-ring, for CAMERA--MAIN.LENS--STEP.RING--REV.LENS--SUBJECT. There you keep aperture control, but it's the same as adding diopter/magnification filters/lenses, with the same image degradation.

Tubes or bellows are the cleanest way to go macro. A Raynox or diopter magnifier is the easiest-to-use way. A lens-reversal-ring is the cheapest way. A short prime with a short tube probably has the least drawbacks (but not a lot of magnification). All have their pros and cons. TANSTAAFL.
05-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
TANSTAAFL.
Gesundheit!