Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

what have I done???

I went to lunch and got back to the office with a new lens
on the way to lunch I saw a Pentax MZ-7 with a sigma 24mm 2.8 super wide in a small camera store
I asked how much for the lens ... he said $110 ... I said ... I will take it.

I was looking for a wide lens but never planed to get this one.

Please tell me I did not make a mistake ...

05-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Was it the AF version? If so, that is a steal of a deal! They routinely sell in the $175-200 range.....if you can find one.
05-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxwell1295 Quote
Was it the AF version? If so, that is a steal of a deal! They routinely sell in the $175-200 range.....if you can find one.
it is the AF version...
05-27-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Did you get the AF version? For $110??? (this is the "Super-Wide II" version right?)

Yeah, that's garbage... but since I'm feeling altruistic I'll take it off your hands for $130 , that way you won't feel so bad .

Seriously, I love that little lens, I had the MF version, and sold it in pursuit of the DA* 16-50 (worth it, but...). I've told myself that if I find the AF version, I'll get it (they're quite rare in AF).

If the copy you got is manual focus, I'd say that price is a bit on the high side, but not a huge ripoff... If it's the AF version it's an absolute steal! It's a startlingly sharp lens, even at f/2.8, and the close focus abilities are great - love the bokeh too. It does tend to flare a bit when pointed into the sun, so a hood of some sort is a good idea, but that's really my only complaint WRT that lens (and it's sister lens the 28mm f/2.8 Mini-Wide II).

Here's some of my shots with the Super-Wide II. A couple of those are in PPG too.

EDIT:
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons:
it is the AF version...
lucky, lucky, lucky...

What a score!

05-27-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wow thanks guys... I am starting to think that maybe I got lucky for once in my life

this is the lens:

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Pentax%20Lens%20Tests/48-pentax/144-sigma-af...ab-test-report

Last edited by redpigeons; 05-27-2009 at 01:42 PM.
05-28-2009, 01:38 AM   #6
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
congrats redpigeons.
You'll like that lens. I don't know about US prices but I got my AF vrsion of Sigma 24/2.8 for 70GBP.
it's a great lens. really portable and opticaly very good. Makes great lightweight kit with DA40.
Anyway, enjoy it!

Peter
05-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
a few test I did today...
as usual with a new lens the rain comes... so will have to wait for a sunny day

so far... I will start with the obvious ... its not the 31mm (but what is really??)
I enjoy shooting-- the lens is small and light and the focal length is fun on the street. the focus is squeaky but quieter then my 31mm.

over all I think that I am loving this lens

05-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that bad?

I am still pretty sure that the blurriness is my fault it was a rainy day and all shot are wide open .

the close up ones are f/4.5 that's as much as I could close today

05-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
that bad?

I am still pretty sure that the blurriness is my fault it was a rainy day and all shot are wide open .

the close up ones are f/4.5 that's as much as I could close today
Nah, not bad at all...

I like the closeups, and the others look good (but street photography is not my thing so I won't comment on the content of them). The background will be blurry when shot wide open unless focused to infinity, and the in focus areas look good to me. The amazing thing with these lenses is how good the image looks at f/2.8 - you can even shoot landscapes wide open if you need to, as long as there's nothing in the foreground.
05-29-2009, 12:03 AM   #10
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice first shots...
I really like the guitarist shot