Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 10:51 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I wonder if there wouln't be other issues too (eyepoint, distortion, cost, etc).
Indubitably.

05-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #32
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Maybe he got word of our exchange and decided to go off on it himself?

I actually have no preconceived ideas about Ken Rockwell. I hear the name very often, and I've probably read an article or two of his along the line, but I remember nothing in particular he's ever written. I gather a lot of people read him, but his opinions are often controversial. No idea what any of them are, though.
The problem with Ken is that he is smart about some things, and ignorant about other things, and he freely goes back and forth mixing the stupidity with the smart stuff. It's all intermingled together, like a pinata full of delicious candy and bitter turds that the reader has to sort out for himself. If he would just stick to stuff he knows about and offer advice instead of trying to tell everybody that they are DOING IT WRONG, his website would be a lot less unpleasant.

And for someone who implies he has a great artistic eye, his website looks like some horror that was designed in Netscape in 1996.
05-30-2009, 04:11 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The other problem is he cannot write. Some of his articles have one point, but he makes sure to repeat it about twelve times in three different ways... so you get four repetitions of each. Me, if I miss a point I know enough to reread a paragraph. I don't need some headcase repeating everything for me.
05-30-2009, 06:10 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
If he would just stick to stuff he knows about and offer advice instead of trying to tell everybody that they are DOING IT WRONG, his website would be a lot less unpleasant.
And quite a bit smaller.

05-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimby Quote
The problem with Ken is that he is smart about some things, and ignorant about other things, and he freely goes back and forth mixing the stupidity with the smart stuff.
He is not the only one who falls prey to this phenomenon though. Even Roger Penrose did it so a lot of less smart people can be excused.

And I agree that the repetition in his writings is quite irritating. They almost read like a first draft where someone collected ideas and didn't care to check whether they already covered a point or not.
05-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
And I agree that the repetition in his writings is quite irritating.
I am a loyal Macintosh user, and even I get pissed off over Ken's endless and pointless rants against Windows PCs, and incessant Macintosh boosterism.

He gives Mac users a bad name.
05-31-2009, 05:07 AM   #37
Veteran Member

that's true. he is like the salesman who won't shut up and that i just wave off "i'll let you know if i need something, thank you". i get tired of reading his crap, if he would at least try to be coherent, it would at least be fun. he's like a confused jester, who dreams of being a salesman, but is not, so he comes truough as just a very annoying jester.

05-31-2009, 10:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I get it. He's Tim McCarver.
05-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ya know, this is all quite interesting, but thinkin' back on it, I've never LIKED a camera because of its view finder (well, except for a coupl 'a scrody early AF bodies from un-named brands). The view finder simply comes with the other ergonomics and I've always just 'looked through' the finder and possibly sub-conscionsiously been pleased or not. (Now ya "miss-place" a control function an' I'll notice that BIG time though.)

This, and similar threads, have caused me to spend quality time with bodies all the way back to Spotmatics and yes, I can see a difference. It just doesn't play a big part in using the camera at hand. I actually thought about that this afternoon workin' an SMC 105/2.8 with an extension ring for all of about about 2 seconds. Too many other things for my photographically-challenged mind to contend with I guess.

If this sort of critique causes improvement in viewfinders though, I'm all for it. What I'd REALLY like is a built-in, physical magnifier function -- not the digital one. Yeah, I know: $46 on eBay the other day -- one a' these days.

(Incidentally, LASIK set my vision-clock back 25 years, so it's not as big an issue as it used to be.)

H2