Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax F* 300mm f/4.5 vs Pentax DA* 300mm f/4.0

Anyone who have used both lens, please share your thoughts between the two. Do you find the DA* 300mm f/4.0 easy to hand-hold. I have been using the F* 300mm pretty much all with hand-holding. I wonder if that can also be done with the DA* 300mm. How do one justify to have two, the ultimate LBA question for lens snob in me? Anyone who have both lens? How do IQ, sharpness compare. In my experience, the F* 300mm f/4.5 is like my limited lens in terms of IQ and sharpness. I can always count on the lens in sharpness and color.

As you can tell, I am loving F* 300mm very much but there is the lacking I find in mssing the quick shift AF/MF switch that I very much like on the DA* lens. When I played with my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 the other day shooting a squirrel, I find the quick AF/MF very handy in mixing AF and MF. With the F* 300mm, it is a toggle ring and you have to switch the AF/MF switch on body in order to engage the lens fully in manual focus. It is a two switch process. Just switching on lens alone will have the focusing ring locked up from focusing. And to switch back, you have to undo the two switches again. It is not fun and quick to mix the MF/AF in the F* 300mm.

Your thoughts and comments appreciated.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 05-29-2009 at 12:20 PM.