Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pexi85 Quote
I have same problem... i cant decide what lens of these i want...
Lenses are:

Sigma 70mm (i had this one before, but i felt like it was too short, otherwise this is superb)

Sigma 105mm (this feel right, but is it better than tamron?)

Sigma 180mm (This would be perfect working distance, but its too expencive)

Tamron 90mm (i need more info of this 1, i have seen reviews wich proofs that this is more better than sigma 70mm/105mm, but is it???)

Tell me wich one do you recommend? I will buy my lens same time at july with K-7.
I would love to see some links to reviews, samples, comparison and so on.. THANK´S TO ALL LOVELY PENTAX SHOOTERS ALLREADY!

Edit: just read some reviews, im thinking im gonna buy 70mm or 105mm....
Why exclude the Pentax Macro lenses?

05-31-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm too looking into a macro lens.
The DA 35 LTD. is top of my list, but am also considering the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro.

Any comments between the two.
The FA50 is cheaper and easier on the wallet and can be bought cheaper, and looks like a great lens.
Would it be worth saving up the extra cash for the DA35? I know it's a limited lens, so it might be a sily question.
05-31-2009, 05:09 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I'm too looking into a macro lens.
The DA 35 LTD. is top of my list, but am also considering the SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F2.8 Macro.

Any comments between the two.
The FA50 is cheaper and easier on the wallet and can be bought cheaper, and looks like a great lens.
Would it be worth saving up the extra cash for the DA35? I know it's a limited lens, so it might be a sily question.
My very limited experience is that a longer lens is generally easier to work with. I'm sure the DA35 is a great lens, but if I was not going for the 100mm Pentax, my second choice would be the Sigma 180mm.
05-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Vivitar Series 1 P/KA 105/2.5 (native 1:1) or the M42 90/2.5 +1:1 extender. These two are amazingly sharp and versatile lenses if you are willing to manual-focus, something that shouldn't be a real problem for macro work. The 90 is a storied lens - one that some people pursue for years.

Vivitar Series 1 90mm f/2.5 Macro in the Third Party Lens Review database.

I own the K-mount 105 - for a time here the interest in this lens drove the price up 100% in just a few weeks. It sucks in light but has such a thin depth of field that I am truly challenged to use it well. If I ever decide to actively pursue macro rather than just goofing around I will get a macro rail and use this right.

This is my Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 Macro pictured in the Third Party Lens Review database.

I also own the Tamron Adaptall-2 MF SP #52B 90/2.5 + the 1:1 extender and the 01F 2x TC. This lens is, if anything, sharper than the Vivitar and with the 01F 2:1 TC attached you can get equiv. 180mm working distance @ f/5.6. This lens has the most visible "snap" into focus I have ever seen on any lens and produces an interesting, if grainy bokeh.

Tamron Adaptall-2 SP #52B 90mm f/2.5 Tele-Macro in the Third Party Lens Review database.

I've had some success hand-holding this lens - and it is a servicebale portrait and short tele, to boot!!

Last edited by monochrome; 05-31-2009 at 05:29 PM.
05-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #20

Original Poster
I have an old Vivitar 50mm macro manual focus, and I figured I wanted to go for an autofocus lens. Manual focus is tricky with the default focusing screen, and often I am looking for 'close up' rather than true Macro.
06-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
well, sigma has better test results than pentax. I think i go with sigma 105mm, becouse its a little longer than 70mm so i can use that also as a tele.
06-01-2009, 05:52 AM   #22

Original Poster
well, sigma has better test results than pentax. I think i go with sigma 105mm, becouse its a little longer than 70mm so i can use that also as a tele.
I did not find a test for the Sigma - the Tamron and the Pentax FA looks very close:

Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro (Pentax) - Lab Test Report / Review
Pentax SMC-FA 100mm f/2.8 macro - Review / Lab Test Report

06-01-2009, 06:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I own the non-DG version of the Sigma 105mm. I am told that optically they are essentially the same. The only difference is the coatings which optimize the lens for digital use. Either way it is a joy to use. AF can be a bit slow at Macro range but when used as a tele it seems to be a bit more zippy. The focusing ring has a nice smooth throw to it so manual focus is not a big pain at all. Biggest gripes for the lens is the screw-on hood. It is a lot more tedious to use vs the snap on hoods that I have for my other lenses. Also the push-pull AF/MF mechanism takes a little getting used to as well. Even if you pull the lens into "MF" unless you turn off AF on the body the AF screw drive will still AF the lens. Here are a couple shots from my 105mm:

06-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #24

Is there any zoom-lens (not necessarily a telephoto, could be a wide-angel as well) that also support macro ?
I find it inconvenient to use a "Limited" fixed-focal lens..
I with there was a wide angle (around 10-20mm) lens with good macro capabilities, so I could also use it as a wide-lens..
06-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
Is there any zoom-lens (not necessarily a telephoto, could be a wide-angel as well) that also support macro ?
I find it inconvenient to use a "Limited" fixed-focal lens..
I with there was a wide angle (around 10-20mm) lens with good macro capabilities, so I could also use it as a wide-lens..
You can try the Sigma 17-70.
Not a true 1:1 macro; it can focus very close (like almost touching the front glass) giving about 1:2.4
06-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

For something like that why not get a Raynox filter?
06-01-2009, 08:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
For something like that why not get a Raynox filter?
Good suggestion -- OP states that he wants close focus rather than true macro, so a two-element achromatic close-up lens (+1 to +3 diopter, depending on the focal length of the lens) would be ideal.
06-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #28
Forum Member

Here´s some sigma reviews

Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Sigma Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG AF - Lens Review from Experts at Popular Photography- Photo Tips
Sigma Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro AF - Lens Review from Experts at Popular Photography- Photo Tips
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro review

I think i will go with sigma, maybe 105mm, or 70mm. I have heard that 70mm is a little more sharp, but i think i really need that extra reach what 105mm offers. I´m just not sure... Do i really need that 35mm extra reach?
06-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I´m just not sure... Do i really need that 35mm extra reach?
Depends on what you are shooting. The reach gives you a greater working distance. I think you will have an extra inch and some change of working distance if you go with the 105mm over the 70mm. Here is a thread that may give you more viewpoints:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/50071-macro-lens-help.html
06-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jfsavage Quote
I'm looking for some general advice about which macro lens to get. I'm inclined towards something like the Pentax 100mm f2.8. Something longer, like the Sigma 180mm macro would give a longer working distance which would be handy. My reading of reviews and posts does not seem to suggest there is one lens that is far superior to the others, but I may have missed something.

(I did some searches of this forum and did not find a general 'macro' thread')
The Sigma 180mm is an awesome lens. Great color rendering and bokeh.

I am still selling mine here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/49928-sale-sigm...acro-lens.html

Mike