Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 11:36 AM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: WW community of Pentax users
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,162
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
...'worthless'? I think that comment is worthless...
I hope you know which Ned I was refering to?

Plus: don't take everything so seriously.

06-01-2009, 11:43 AM   #32
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
I hope you know which Ned I was refering to?

Plus: don't take everything so seriously.
there could be several, so no I dont know specifically. but if you are speaking of ned bunnel, then I have more than enough reason to doubt what he says. he is a division president and an amateur photographer. not an engineer or lens and optics expert. just because you work for Pentax doesn't mean you know.. well anything. other than how to be a division president in his case. will the 31 be as good on FF digital as it is on film? likely not as digital is less forgiving and more sensitive. will it be 'next to worthless'? not even close.

and how do you know I take everything seriously? how many of the 2477 comments that I have posted have you read?
06-01-2009, 11:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
from your list of limiteds youre going to have to get a 43mm after the 77mm. it is inevitable....
I know your are right luckily this lens is relatively cheep...

I know another thing once I will get it its going to my favorite that why I saving it to last

about 31mm on FF I know a person that loves this lens so much he is using it on his 5d with manual focus.

the 31mm is a lens in its own class in my opinion
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM   #34
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2007
Location: WW community of Pentax users
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,162
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
there could be several, so no I dont know specifically. but if you are speaking of ned bunnel, then I have more than enough reason to doubt what he says. he is a division president and an amateur photographer. not an engineer or lens and optics expert. just because you work for Pentax doesn't mean you know.. well anything. other than how to be a division president in his case. will the 31 be as good on FF digital as it is on film? likely not as digital is less forgiving and more sensitive. will it be 'next to worthless'? not even close.

and how do you know I take everything seriously? how many of the 2477 comments that I have posted have you read?
Actually, I was trying to convey the same idea you just did about the unfortunate statement from Ned.

And about the "everything", this was meant in the strictest context of this 'conversation'. Nothing outside of it. Really.
You know: an attempt to indicate that what I just said didn't have to be taken so seriously.

06-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #35
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
I started with a 135mm 2.8 with an "A" setting.
I'm now looking for the nifty-fifty.
I found one, A-50mm 1:1.7, at a local pawnshop but is attached to a Pentax SLR.
I asked them if I could buy only the lens, they outrightly refused and said that it should go with the body..so, pushing my luck, I asked how much the whole set-up costs..they wanted more than $100. Tough luck!
If it costed like only $50 including the body, I would have paid for it gladly..hehe.
I guess I have to comb the other pawnshops then.
06-01-2009, 06:10 PM   #36
Veteran Member
PrimeObjectif's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Photos: Albums
Posts: 600
Hey, red, I noticed that you're in NYC. What store did you get those lenses from?
06-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 337
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I'm now looking for the nifty-fifty.
I found one, A-50mm 1:1.7, at a local pawnshop but is attached to a Pentax SLR.
I asked them if I could buy only the lens, they outrightly refused and said that it should go with the body..so, pushing my luck, I asked how much the whole set-up costs..they wanted more than $100. Tough luck!
If it costed like only $50 including the body, I would have paid for it gladly..hehe.
I guess I have to comb the other pawnshops then.
Keep your eyes on the marketplace here. The A 50/1.7 pops up fairly regularly, generally in the $50-$80 range. I picked one up here for like $50 shipped. I didn't need it, but at that price, figured it was cheap enough for an impulse purchase. I still don't need it, but it is a darn fine lens.
06-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #38
Veteran Member
netuser's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Azores Islands, Portugal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,241
Fa 35/2 and FA 135 2.8 on fleabay for UK residents ...

06-05-2009, 08:16 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Fl_Gulfer's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Florida Gulfer
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,051
I just wish I had a 55mm takumar to go with my 28, 135, & 200 takumars.
06-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #40
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 258
Hey redpigeons, nice collection, I too want to get a FA 77mm, but just out of my budget for now. Anyway I'm in NYC, can you share the location of that shop, becaz most shop i see in NYC had very limited Pentax gear. I want to pay a visit and see what they have. thanx
06-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
Hmmmm...the Ms..As...Ks...Taks....when does it end!! I have a few of the others but I'm stuck on the Ks...but I keep on hearing about more...lol It's like an easter egg hunt...look long enough and you'll find a "like new" one at a reasonable price (which is half the fun)
15 3.5 Asp | 28 3.5 | 30 2.8 | 50 1.2 | 85 1.8 | 105 2.8 | 135 2.8
06-06-2009, 03:27 AM   #42
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,739
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Motion seconded!
But then, I read 'some guy' Ned said even the 31mm would be next to worthless on a modern day FF (digital that is)
If only we would get the chance to verify this!

I tested the FA31mm limited on Kodak technical pan film, a very high resolution -fine grained film. the 31mm f/1.8 I tested it against the Carl zeiss 35mm f/2, Pentax M 30mm f/2.8 canon 35mm f/1.4 L, and for variety the Leica Sumilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH - the canon the pentax M and the Carl zeiss were out performed by the FA31 and it matched the summilux 35mm f/1.4 - which really isn't much of a surprise because their optical designs have similarities.
06-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #43
Veteran Member
gokenin's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: lowell,ma
Posts: 1,892
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I just wish I had a 55mm takumar to go with my 28, 135, & 200 takumars.
are you looking for just any 55 or one of four style in particular?
06-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #44
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I just wish I had a 55mm takumar to go with my 28, 135, & 200 takumars.
how do you not? the 55 is probably the most common and cheapest Takumar lens available. I have 5 of them myself.
06-06-2009, 11:00 AM   #45
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 944
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I tested the FA31mm limited on Kodak technical pan film, a very high resolution -fine grained film. the 31mm f/1.8 I tested it against the Carl zeiss 35mm f/2, Pentax M 30mm f/2.8 canon 35mm f/1.4 L, and for variety the Leica Sumilux 35mm f/1.4 ASPH - the canon the pentax M and the Carl zeiss were out performed by the FA31 and it matched the summilux 35mm f/1.4 - which really isn't much of a surprise because their optical designs have similarities.
the only problem I have with the 31mm is that every lens I am getting now is doomed to be a little bit disappointing ... just BC I am used to the 31mm magic
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Landscape Completed Series Jimbo Post Your Photos! 8 11-03-2010 01:00 PM
For Sale - Sold: smc Pentax M Primes, S-M-C Primes, THE Series 1 70~210 Zoom, Viv MFTC and more monochrome Sold Items 33 02-13-2009 01:29 PM
Well just had to post a couple of more I just completed Jimbo Post Your Photos! 12 07-14-2008 07:59 AM
Just completed my collection regken Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 03-19-2007 03:56 PM
My LBA is completed Ed in GA Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 13 12-28-2006 09:50 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top