Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

need help to choose a tele-zoom... Thanks

Hi all Pentaxian Friends.

I need some advice in choosing one of this three lens and because I don’t have experience with any of them, a brief reason for your advice would be very appreciated.
My first option would go to Pentax DA 50-200 for US$240. The problem with this is the limited 50 that would make me change often between the 18-55 and this one…
The other is the Tamron DI-II 18-200 (F3,5:6,3), for US$240. I don’t know nothing about this lens…
The others are the Sigmas DG 28-300 for US$235 or the DC 18-200 for US$243.
The use for this lens is to photograph stage scenes during theatre assay. (I must be out of the stage…)
The sigma DG 28-300 is less expensive than the DC series, why? What do you think that could be best for my purpose on the K10?

Thank you in advance.
Regards all
Palu

04-24-2007, 01:42 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Typcially, the smaller range a lens has to support, the better image quality you get - the "super zooms" you are comparing the 50-200 to offer nice large range, but will suffer in image quality some. It's up to you to decide if you think it would be too much.

The 50-200 is an awesome lens, especially when you consider the price. You can't really go wrong with it. If you find yourself needing to go from wide to tele quite often during a particular shoot, you might want one of the larger zoom ranges, but if you can get away with it, the 50-200 will probably give you better image quality.
04-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ccallana Quote
Typcially, the smaller range a lens has to support, the better image quality you get - the "super zooms" you are comparing the 50-200 to offer nice large range, but will suffer in image quality some. It's up to you to decide if you think it would be too much.

The 50-200 is an awesome lens, especially when you consider the price. You can't really go wrong with it. If you find yourself needing to go from wide to tele quite often during a particular shoot, you might want one of the larger zoom ranges, but if you can get away with it, the 50-200 will probably give you better image quality.
That about sums it up! I actually owned the Sigma 28-300 (for 1 day). When I got home and reviewed my images I was very disappointed. The images came out VERY soft. I took the lens back the next day. One of the best large range zooms (I've used) is the good 'ole trusty FA 75-300mm. Good contrast, nice sharp images.
04-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks friends.

I think I got the message.
Everything I read says that the pentax 50-200 is a very good lens. I'll probably go in that direction... Even if that will make me change of lens during a work...
Hummmm..., but does anyone here have some experience with the Tamron digital series, that offer a bigger range?

Many thanks for your words...
Palu

04-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Palu Guimaraes Quote
Thanks friends.

I think I got the message.
Everything I read says that the pentax 50-200 is a very good lens. I'll probably go in that direction... Even if that will make me change of lens during a work...
Hummmm..., but does anyone here have some experience with the Tamron digital series, that offer a bigger range?

Many thanks for your words...
Palu
I just realized that I made a mistake. It was the Tamron 28-300 that I owned, not the Sigma....sorry!