Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
... The main difference in the brick shots was white balance. If white balance was set with a white/gray card, the center crops would look nearly identical >f/2.8.
That maybe would have been more professional, but I'm glad I didn't. It was a lot easier to sort out the shots when the bricks changed color! Manual lenses look the same in EXIF. The best idea would be a white balance card with the lens name on it.

06-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great comparison! But I must say that the Kiron 28mm is a disaster at extreme corners on film. Otherwise very nice lens.

The both Pentax lenses seem to perform well also, always a good thing.
06-02-2009, 02:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

And I thought this activity was supposed to involve visual and not auditory perception. Did you actually look at the pictures? F28/2.8 was the sharpest in the corners, very good in the center and had the lowest flare. The main difference in the brick shots was white balance. If white balance was set with a white/gray card, the center crops would look nearly identical >f/2.8.
First, he said he wasn't at his computer (posting from an iphone or some such, probably), so he pretty much explained why he hadn't examined the pictures.

EDIT ALERT: Here's what I originally wrote:

Second, are we talking about the same test shots? The ones posted to kick off this thread had the F/2.8 looking *terrible* to my eyes until f/5.6 or so, looking at both center and corner sharpness. It looked great stopped down more, but then, so did all the others; the differences at f/8 were *far* smaller than the differences at f/2.8 or f/4, where the F28 was *way* behind the others.

EDIT ALERT: Here's I meant to write:

I'm a complete maroon, and thought the F28 was the second to last one in the comparison chart, because that's how they were listed in the text. Now I see it was actually *third* to last. So I take it back - it's the T93 that looked terrible. But still, I wouldn't say the F28 was that much better than the other two Vivitars, and all things considered, would probably take the Vivitar 28/2 of all of these.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-02-2009 at 02:34 PM.
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm curious whether people irrationally discriminate between lenses solely based on the "Made in..." label. In the 50s, in the US, "Made in Japan" was synonymous with cheap crappy flashlights and toys.
Er, you're a joker right? Because nowhere did I say anything about "made in" designations or other trivia. I'm talking only about the actual build of the lenses. Please don't tell me that a plastic lens with soft focus ring is anywhere near as good as a metal ring with proper resistant focus feel. Or, if you do wish to tell me that, come out straight and say it. All this racist insinuation does me no good at all.

06-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Nice test Dave! I have the Viv 28mm kiron version, but have not used it much. It has some oil on the blades but its still usable. Ill see if I can take some shots with it and post them.
06-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #21
F16

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote

I'm a complete maroon, and thought the F28 was the second to last one in the comparison chart, because that's how they were listed in the text. Now I see it was actually *third* to last. So I take it back - it's the T93 that looked terrible. But still, I wouldn't say the F28 was that much better than the other two Vivitars, and all things considered, would probably take the Vivitar 28/2 of all of these.
I thought you were harsh when I read your first comments on the F28/2.8, now it makes sense why you were harsh, the T93 does not fare well against the others. The F 28/2.8 is very solid all around, for some reason the 28mm M/A/F seems to have a relatively high variable in opinions. Sharper 28mm lenses can be found I'm sure, but I think it's a reliably good lens overall.

I have several 28mm lenses also, and I'll likely do some sort of 'shootout' eventually as well. I have a Pentax 28mm/2.8 A, Sigma 28mm 2.8 A mini wide II, A Vivitar 'K13' 28mm 2.0, not to mention several M42 28mm lenses. I guess you can never have too many 28mm lenses . Should make for a good comparison.
06-02-2009, 10:06 PM   #22
F16

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just noticed something unusual about the Vivitar 28mm f2.0 K12. The front element turns when you focus it. I don't think any of my other prime lenses do this, including the otherwise similar Kiron 24mm f2. I guess it doesn't bother me; Ive owned it for 2½ years without noticing.
The turning front element does seem unusual on a prime. I have the 'K13' version, it does not have the turning element. Maybe that was one reason for changing the design, hard to make sense of this many variations. The lens looks nearly identical except for the 'MC' on the front and also the focus throw appears shorter on the K13, about 100 degrees. The coating on this lens looks really nice, perhaps that was another change.

06-03-2009, 04:08 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I just noticed something unusual about the Vivitar 28mm f2.0 K12. The front element turns when you focus it. I don't think any of my other prime lenses do this, including the otherwise similar Kiron 24mm f2.
That is odd. I don't think the Vivitars generally have rotating elements.

Did you have to do surgery on the flange to fit this lens? It has been reported the K12 requires this process.
06-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's good we're all different!

I don't own any lenses from that era because I really dislike the cheesy plastic look. I haven't even bought the FA50 for that reason. I also hate the gaudy rings and plastic Canon design of the DA*55, so I'll give that a pass too.

Understated black metal for me! I love the FA Limiteds.
maybe you should try F series.
I have F50/1.7 and couldn't care less how does it look like (though it's not really ugly, I do rather like it) because is one stunning performer. To my understanding, F series wasn't the nicest one but had definitely some great glass in it...
03-05-2010, 02:36 PM   #25
Forum Member

Late to the party...

Interesting stuff Dave, thanks for running the test.

BTW, if you want to run some more I've got 3 different 28's that you don't have listed (M28/2.8, Vivitar 28/2.5-m42, and Sigma 28/28 Miniwide II). I live in downtown Denver so no need to ship them.

Or not