Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

SMC 85mm f/2 internal dust?

Hi guys, found this forum while doing some research on some old Pentax lenses.

I have a quick question. While inspecting my 85mm f/2 lens for selling, I noticed some dust inside the glass. Is there any advice to remove this dust or at least improve the condition ? How risky is the process?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Dealchzr; 12-17-2009 at 02:06 PM.
06-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I never worry about a little dust inside a lens. You can have it cleaned out, but eventually, dust will return.
It won't affect the picture taking ability of the lens, and probably won't devalue it past what it would cost to remove.
If anyone tries to use it for leverage on price, walk away from the buyer, there are plenty of sane users out there who'll buy it from you.
06-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks a lot Wheatfield. I never noticed anything wrong with the pictures, but was just a little worried about picky buyers. This is my favorite lens out of my smc bunch, but really need the money to upgrade my flash .
06-01-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Wheatfield: Personally, I never worry about a little dust inside a lens. You can have it cleaned out, but eventually, dust will return.
It won't affect the picture taking ability of the lens, and probably won't devalue it past what it would cost to remove.
If anyone tries to use it for leverage on price, walk away from the buyer, there are plenty of sane users out there who'll buy it from you.
What he said! I have an Auto-Takumar 85 f 1.8--it has a little dust--it has never been cleaned--it takes great shots.

06-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thin unless there is another reasaon to take the lens apart, leave it. A few specks is not why you should be taking a lens apart. I am not sure you can really get all the dust out, and as others have said, it is not reasonable to expect the dust to stay out.
06-01-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys for all the info. There is no oil on the aperture blades, so if the dust is not an issue, I don't see a reason for opening.

Thanks once again.
06-01-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ouch! What flash set-up justifies selling your favorite SMC lens? As for the dust and picky buyers... Just disclose that there may be some slight internal dust . It's no biggie. Some new lenses come with internal dust.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by Dealchzr Quote
Thanks a lot Wheatfield. I never noticed anything wrong with the pictures, but was just a little worried about picky buyers. This is my favorite lens out of my smc bunch, but really need the money to upgrade my flash .

06-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, I know. Its not just the flash upgrade but the lack of manual focusing skills on my part. I had a hard time focusing with my Canon AE-1P, Imagine my dslr with no split-field focusing aid . I rather have a pro take advantage of the lens. I have 5 other smc lenses to keep practicing on though .
06-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd rather buy a lens w/ some dust inside than get one which has been opened for cleaning.
06-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi guys, found this forum while doing some research on some old Pentak lenses.

I have a quick question. While inspecting my 85mm f/2 lens for selling, I noticed some dust inside the glass. Is there any advice to remove this dust or at least improve the condition ? How risky is the process?

Thanks in advance.

You should sell it here in the marketplace section to give forum members a shot at a fantastic lens.

And no, don't worry about the internal dust, it will have no effect on IQ and should only depreciate the asking price very minimally. How much were you thinking of asking for it?

It's one of my all-time favorite portrait and flora lenses:

06-03-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah I should have put it here but unfortunately I had already put the listing on ebay before i found this place. I started the listing at $190 hoping for it to go up a little bit.

Nice pictures by the way. Definitely its a nice lens but since I am relatively new to photography, I really need the autofocus.