Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 07:06 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
If you're planning to shoot extensively with strobes.... you'll be surprised to find out that you're shooting mostly on f/5.6-f/11... thus money-wise, the 16-50 is a total waist... I'd keep the 16-45 which is a very solid lens wide open or stopped-down...

On the other hand, the cost of 16-45 will cover a couple of 285HV's and a kit of cheap wireless triggers...

Good luck... :-D
If you are shooting extensively with strobes ... keep the DA* 16-50 for the f/2.8. It gives you one full stop advantage for the auto focus you need before firing the strobes. I also find that extra 5 mm very, very handy.

06-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Give me the 16-45.

There you go.
06-03-2009, 02:01 AM   #18
Veteran Member

DA * 16-50

hands down... great lens.

You may find the FA 31 not wide enough in some situations.

I have both and they compliment each other.

Neil
06-03-2009, 09:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice, everyone! I thought I had everything figured out--simply sell the 16-45, buy the strobe kit...until I was browsing the forums and interwebs, and fell for the DA 35mm macro ltd. I just picked up a new one on fleabay for 375!!! I think that lens will add a new dimension to my photography. I'm leaning towards putting my 16-45 and my FA 35 on the marketplace soon, then picking up some sort of strobist kit...and maybe a 50mm AF or MF if I must have something faster than my 2.4 and 2.8's.

I still haven't gotten a chance to run any tests on my DA*, so I think I'll do that today or tomorrow before I start selling any lenses.