Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How to achive Tv (Shutter priority mode) for K mount and M42 lenses?

Greetings,

I know the answer for the question (ans: NO) but trying to find other's methods to achieve the same. I use both K mount and M42 lenses.

For the both kind of lenses, only possibility to shoot on digital bodies is Av mode and M mode. Is there a way, we can simulate Tv mode? or roughly take reading in Av mode till you are comfortable with required shutter speed (like 125/ 500 / 1000) and take the shot in Av mode it self.

I am interested in bird shots such that quickly I move the dial for proper shutter speed based on my requirement.

thanks in advance

06-01-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You could get a light meter and get your readings off camera.
06-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
with M42; "K" ; and M lenses you cannot use Tv mode.

So for your purposes you need to establish the correct exposure in manual mode, then if you change the shutter speed you need to change the aperture accordingly.

To be honest these lenses are not the best for your purposes because of the restrictions on exposure modes.
06-02-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Back when they were made Tv mode didn't exist, so it would make sense that they wouldn't have it.

But yes, I guess you already know the answer...

06-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
For the both kind of lenses, only possibility to shoot on digital bodies is Av mode and M mode. Is there a way, we can simulate Tv mode? or roughly take reading in Av mode till you are comfortable with required shutter speed (like 125/ 500 / 1000) and take the shot in Av mode it self.
M mode. Set shutter speed, engage DOF preview (for K-mount lenses, necessarily to display the meter), then turn aperture ring until meter reads 0.

Realistically, light doesn't change nearly as often is assumed by people who are reluctant to use M mode. Once you've set exposure this way, you can largely leave it alone unless the light actually changes. If you feel like bumping shutter speed up for some given shot, simply open aperture the same number of clicks to compensate - no need to meter again. Conversely if you feel like slowing the shutter down for a different shot.
06-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Back when they were made Tv mode didn't exist, so it would make sense that they wouldn't have it.
:
Wrong answer. The first ever film SLR to have auto exposure (Konica Autoreflex) used Tv mode. Tv mode wasn't used by Pentax then, but it doesn't mean it didn't exist.
06-02-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Wrong answer. The first ever film SLR to have auto exposure (Konica Autoreflex) used Tv mode. Tv mode wasn't used by Pentax then, but it doesn't mean it didn't exist.
Thanks for letting me know flyer. I wasn't around back then and I only know mostly Pentax stuff Interesting that the first SLR essentially have an "A" setting then. I just read up a bit and it and it looks pretty advanced, especially as the first ('succesful'?) AE SLR.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 06-02-2009 at 04:39 PM.
06-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't have a camera with sensitivity mode but would that work. Set T and A just like in M mode and let the camera change ISO based on exposure?

06-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thank you all for your feedback.

@Marc -- will try your suggestion. I also observed mostly accurate meter reading in M mode rather than Av mode.
@schmik -- Mine is 100Dsuper and it does snot have sensitivity mode.
06-03-2009, 02:07 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I don't have a camera with sensitivity mode but would that work. Set T and A just like in M mode and let the camera change ISO based on exposure?
As the camera will not know what aperture the lens is set to, Sv mode cannot work.
06-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
@Marc -- will try your suggestion. I also observed mostly accurate meter reading in M mode rather than Av mode.
Since you mention K-mount lenses, that option doesn't exist - Av doesn't work with K-mount lenses. Well, I mean, you can take a picture, but only at wide open aperture. Not useful for your purposes.

With an m42 lens in which Av mode *does* work, sure, you could simple turn the aperture ring until the shutter speed reads what you want. But it won't *stay* there as the light or scene changes, so you'd still need to repeat the produce every so often.
06-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
As the camera will not know what aperture the lens is set to, Sv mode cannot work.
I won't argue the point because i don't have a camera to test it with but.... in M mode, you stop down meter and the shutter speed is set. Is it not possible to set the ISO instead of the shutter at this point? (probably not but i can't see it as unachievable via firmware).

mike
06-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Put m42 lenses in manual mode; for K lenses don't mount them completely so the aperture lever isn't engaged.

Then as Marc said, set camera to M mode, set shutter speed, then turn aperture ring until Ev=0.0 is reached.

Iowa Dave

PS If you will do this often with a K lens, it will be helpful to drill or file an indent in the lens base for the camera locking pin to engage (about 10 degrees before the existing indent.)