Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Voigtländer Apo-Lanthar 90mm f3.5 SL Close Focus vs Tokina AT-X 90mm f2.5 1:2 macro

Anyone who have used both lens, please share your thoughts between the two.

06-02-2009, 07:10 AM   #2

I have the voigtlander 90 only, but I love raving about it.

It's ridiculously sharp, has very smooth bokeh, perfect build quality and focus action, and it handles CA superbly (the APO part, obviously). It's also fairly compact.

However,
Sometimes I wish it were a bit faster for more DOF. And it only gets to like 1:3 or something like that- plenty close to get right up on what you want to shoot, but if you're looking for hi-res images of a single insect eye you'll probably want something closer to a true macro.
06-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yesterday I just got the voigtlander 90 and I tried a few sample shots, and for now i like it.
I would like to know how the voigtlander 90 comparing to the Tokina. which has the better IQ, colour rendition, bokeh, more comfortable usage?
I own a macro lens Pentax D FA 100mm and it kind of works for me, I'm more interested in the usage of those lens for portrait, nature, landscapes, flowers .....
06-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've only briefly handled both lenses. I don't think there is a clear winner but I feel the Tokina definitely has the edge in terms of colour rendition. I tried the Voigtlander next to my Sigma 90mm f/2.8 Macro and aside from the better build quality of the Voigtlander, the images are about the same in terms of sharpness but do vary in terms of colour rendition and bokeh. In terms of practicality, I'd pick the lens with the PKA mount (ie. with the A setting). The Voigtlander is certainly nice but imo it ought to have been a f/2.8 lens. It performs more more as a tele with close focus than as an outright macro lens.

06-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've had both, and I like the Tokina better. The VL90/3.5 is a lovely lens of its own, small and light, very well built, but the Tokina is even better built. Both are very sharp even wide open, produce smooth and creamy bokeh. The Tokina is a 1:2 half macro lens, while the VL90 can only go close to 1:3.

If I were choosing one between these two, I'd get the Tokina.