Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Budapest
Posts: 821
I'd suggest a small, lightweight lens (50-200, 55-300)... so you can run away faster

07-23-2009, 06:00 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bronx NY
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by rpriedhorsky Quote
OK, here's the post-mortem.

First off, it's an amazing place to visit. The number of bears is astonishing - my wife decided to count the visible bears at an unremarkable moment and came up with 10. If you're in northern Minnesota, I strongly recommend a visit, and go from opening until they kick you out. Do take some time to just watch the bears in addition to photographing.

I ended up not even bringing the Tak -- in prior tests it was just too fiddly for my patience level on my K200D. (My Spottie is at Eric's for CLA, and I'm excited to see how it is on that.) So, I used my 18-250 and was happy with the results, though next time I'll do some things differently.

Regarding FL, 90%+ of the keeper bear pics were at 250mm, and often I wanted more. The remaining 10% were all over 70mm; I think I would have been happy with a 70-100mm minimum. I think an appropriate maximum is, the longest you can afford, as all the bears have different faces. (One bear cub was apparently wall-eyed.)

The zoom was nice, as the bears were at all sorts of different differences. I do not think I would have been happy fiddling with changing primes.

I did take some context shots at wide-angle, but they weren't essential and I wouldn't have missed them much.

The center is open evenings and that's when I was shooting. I struggled with shutter speed and almost everything was taken nearly wide-open (f/6.3) at ISO 1600. So fast lens would be nice and I should have taken NaClH2O's advice on the monopod.

Here's a few samples. The first three are aggressive crops at 250mm and the last is at 18mm.
Reid, thanks for the update. Sounds like a fascinating place to visit. When I lived in the adirondaks, and people visited us, one of the few attractions (outside of fishing of course) was to take our visitors over to the town dump and watch the bears feed. You got some good shots and if you go back, next time you will know what to bring. I'm amazed at that last shot. Either that person is extremely foolhardy, or that bear is very used to him/her. I would NEVER get that close to a wild bear.

NaCl(looks like a real fun place, too bad I don't live in MN)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 07-23-2009 at 06:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, opportunity, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Macro A Compounded Eye Bears Higher Resolution Nowhere Matt Post Your Photos! 2 09-28-2010 05:18 AM
Nature Bears all around PePe Post Your Photos! 5 08-06-2010 03:41 AM
Polar Bears lesmore49 General Talk 22 01-13-2010 10:34 AM
Bears in the North PePe Post Your Photos! 8 07-14-2009 11:35 PM
For Sale - Sold: Winder ME II, Lenses, Filters & Cute Bears Miserere Sold Items 22 08-18-2008 08:53 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top