Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI. USA. Earth.
Posts: 139
Soligor 135 f2.8

Now that I've lost this in a bargain e-bay auction attached to a spotmatic, I'm curious to know what you all know about it in terms of quality. Anyone have any examples of this lens in action? That's rhetorical since I'm sure someone here has it

06-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #2
Igilligan
Guest




I dont have the soligor

But I won a 25 dollar Vivitar 135 2.8 on ebay, and it is crazy good in my opinion.

From what I have seen there are a lot of very decent 135 lenses out there for cheap. And few real losers, so just keep looking. I also picked up a TAIR 135 2.8 and I like it even better than the vivitar... of course it was 70+ with shipping.
(but it is huge by comparison).
06-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,468
I had one on my Miranda stuff as a kid. I'm afraid I'd be hard-pressed to identify any surviving negs as having been shot with that lens, but I was pretty fond of it, with the caveat that the coating was nothing to write home about. Well-built, felt nice, ... Flattering people lens, (it wasn't what I'd call razor-sharp, either, but OK. ) I'd certainly put a more serious hood than the built-in on there if you were to shoot color with it.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-04-2009 at 05:12 PM.
06-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI. USA. Earth.
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
But I won a 25 dollar Vivitar 135 2.8 on ebay, and it is crazy good in my opinion.

From what I have seen there are a lot of very decent 135 lenses out there for cheap. And few real losers, so just keep looking. I also picked up a TAIR 135 2.8 and I like it even better than the vivitar... of course it was 70+ with shipping.
(but it is huge by comparison).
I believe I've seen your TAIR thread, actually =). And I don't mind huge: if convenience were an issue I'd use autofocus and zooms. Actually I'm looking for something to replicate the focal length of my Voigtlander 90 on film (just got a K1000), so 135 is pretty much that.

$70 for a great lens though?! Hard to believe these days. I blame inflation.


Last edited by ILoveVerdi; 06-04-2009 at 05:15 PM.
06-04-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI. USA. Earth.
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I had one on my Miranda stuff as a kid. I'm afraid I'd be hard-pressed to identify any surviving negs as having been shot with that lens, but I was pretty fond of it, with the caveat that the coating was nothing to write home about. Flattering people lens, (it wasn't what I'd call razor-sharp, either, but OK. ) I'd certainly put a more serious hood on there if you were to shoot color with it.
Thanks for the reply! I won't fret if I happen to win one next time then, though it seems if I want 135 I should be focusing elsewhere.

For the $10 it would have been if the auction ended 2 hours earlier I wasn't going to care too much =)
06-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,468
QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
Thanks for the reply! I won't fret if I happen to win one next time then, though it seems if I want 135 I should be focusing elsewhere.

For the $10 it would have been if the auction ended 2 hours earlier I wasn't going to care too much =)
I'm having some fun with a Takumar Bayonet 135 2.5. (It's one of those where they stuck the Takumar name on a budget line of non-SMC-coated lenses, to many loud groans from Pentax people.

If you can find a 'Beck,' those are supposed to be really good. And some of the ones store-branded for Underground Camera were actually pretty nice, ....if you're looking for something to be like a Voigtlander, I dunno, maybe a Pentax-M? They were a really popular focal length, there's just scads of 135s out there.
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #7
Igilligan
Guest




Actually I think...

QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
I believe I've seen your TAIR thread, actually =). And I don't mind huge: if convenience were an issue I'd use autofocus and zooms. Actually I'm looking for something to replicate the focal length of my Voigtlander 90 on film (just got a K1000), so 135 is pretty much that.

$70 for a great lens though?! Hard to believe these days. I blame inflation.
If I was flat out looking for a great 135 2.8 I would try and find the Vivitar with the 28 serial #. Like I said it was 25 bucks M42 with the A/M switch.

Here are my first test shots with it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/55486-vivitar-135-f2-8-true-love.html

Like happens too often when I am on a lens buying frenzy (LBF), I got this lens then a week or so later the TAIR came in. So I really need to go back and use the vivi some more.
But if you can find the TAIR for a good price and like the Preset Aperture style lenses it is a winner.
06-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI. USA. Earth.
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
If I was flat out looking for a great 135 2.8 I would try and find the Vivitar with the 28 serial #. Like I said it was 25 bucks M42 with the A/M switch.

Here are my first test shots with it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/55486-vivitar-135-f2-8-true-love.html

Like happens too often when I am on a lens buying frenzy (LBF), I got this lens then a week or so later the TAIR came in. So I really need to go back and use the vivi some more.
But if you can find the TAIR for a good price and like the Preset Aperture style lenses it is a winner.
Hmm, very nice Vivitar shots! I'll keep my eye out for that lens.

Is Preset Aperture just the primary/secondary aperture rings? I did some research, it seems kind of wacky but I doubt I'd have a hard time getting used to it. It sounds kind of like a way to stop-up while focusing and not have to move the camera or remember how many clicks in order to stop down to the final aperture?

06-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Grand Rapids, MI. USA. Earth.
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm having some fun with a Takumar Bayonet 135 2.5. (It's one of those where they stuck the Takumar name on a budget line of non-SMC-coated lenses, to many loud groans from Pentax people.

If you can find a 'Beck,' those are supposed to be really good. And some of the ones store-branded for Underground Camera were actually pretty nice, ....if you're looking for something to be like a Voigtlander, I dunno, maybe a Pentax-M? They were a really popular focal length, there's just scads of 135s out there.
I'm kind of, err, in love with the voigtlander. But I've grown accustomed to its 135mm equivalence, and since I'm starting out on film, I figured a real 135mm might be in order.

I'll check out your suggestions! Thanks!
06-05-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 41
QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
Now that I've lost this in a bargain e-bay auction attached to a spotmatic, I'm curious to know what you all know about it in terms of quality. Anyone have any examples of this lens in action? That's rhetorical since I'm sure someone here has it
Depends on which Soligor 135/2.8 you are considering. Like almost every other importer, Soligor bought different lenses from different makers at different times. Top that with the fact that lens makers updated their designs periodically. There are probably a dozen different Soligor 135/2.8.
06-05-2009, 06:42 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 21
First time poster, long time lurker.

I switched my Beck 135/2.8 out of the case in favor of the Focal 135/2.8 I got with my Craigslist K1000. The focal seems to be sharper and better made.

I suppose I had to get over the "K-mart" lens stigma sooner or later.

I'm waiting on a SMC-M 135/3.5 from e-bay to try next.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Soligor 135 F2.8 jheu02 Post Your Photos! 4 09-22-2009 05:24 AM
Soligor stgmgr Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 02-20-2009 03:11 PM
Soligor 19 - 35 mm - anyone used one? oinkely Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-05-2009 07:31 AM
Soligor 19-35 mm haystack Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 08-30-2008 07:26 AM
Soligor AF 2x TC. Anyone used it ever? Snowcat Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 1 02-11-2008 04:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top