Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
How is the "Tokina 28-80mm"?

Hey guys.

I'm searching for a standard zoom lens with aperture ring, so I'll be able to use it with an extension tube.

I found this lens on Ebay:
Tokina EMZ 28-80mm 1:3.8-4.8

but I can't find any info on it over the web.

How is it? does it really got aperture ring?

thanks

06-05-2009, 06:07 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by D0ri Quote
Tokina EMZ 28-80mm 1:3.8-4.8

does it really got aperture ring?
Do you actually know, how an aperture ring looks? If you knew that, you would be convinced that this lens does have the aperture ring.

Do you see the ring with numbers 3.8 8 11 16 22 A ?

That is the aperture ring, and the A indicates it will work in all program modes, not only manual with stop down metering.

Good luck bidding on it.
06-05-2009, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

By extention tube do you mean tele converter or macro tube?
You'd be better off getting a longer focus zoom if you are thinking of using it with a tele converter.
If you are planning to use it with a macro tube I'd opt for a 50mm prime focus lens instead. The aperture ring comes with pretty much all lenses for SLR lenses and is inside the lens, adjusted by the f stop. It's that group of blades that change that inner hole.
You'll get the hang of the terminology for all the bitsies so don't feel embarassed if you worded something wrong.
06-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
well I had never seen before an aperture ring and the pictures aren't very clear, so I didn't know for sure.

I'm gonna use it with macro tube.
I thinks it's better then 50mm prime, I've got a lens just like that (28-80) but without the aperture ring (the aperture is set by the camera automatically, but my ring is without any connections, so it's hard to set it)

so what do you say about this lens?
I don't know if to spend all this money about an old lens, or just save some money for a Tamron/Sigma 70-300.

06-05-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi D0ri, I briefly owned this lens and yes, it does have an aperture ring. But my copy at least had terrible image quality, I bought it used from KEH, and I think it had been banged around at one time or another, as it had very bad de-centering issues. It was pretty much unuseable so I returned it to KEH. But I do need to say that I'm pretty sure that the issues with mine were unique to that particular lens. No self respecting lens maker would try to market something so bad.
I would repeat what xjjohnno said about a macro tube lens. There are LOTS of old K, M and A 50mm lenses out there that are decent lenses in their own right (tho obviously manual lenses) that would work better with a macro tube. You would then have both a "macro" lens AND a pretty decent 50mm prime. In addition to the older lenses, all of the F, and FA lenses also have aperture rings, but they are auto focus and because of that, more expensive. Besides the autofocus would not work on the macro ring.

NaCl(welcome to the forum and good luck with your search)H2O

Last edited by NaClH2O; 06-05-2009 at 05:43 PM. Reason: formatting errors